when is the latest a mare should be covered by?

Janetterose

Visit site
My girl is awaiting a scan but can anyone tell me when fertility starts to decline and when is the latest time of year a mare should be covered without having to resort to light or hormone therapy.

Tia

Visit site
I guess it depends where you are in the world; but over here I notice changes around about the end of October.

AndyPandy

Visit site
After about August, a mare's cycles will begin to become erratic and it will be very difficult to catch her at the right time.

Also, you must consider what time of year the foal will be born. Late foals mean being born during the warmer weather - this can be extremely uncomfortable for the mare, and I guess in older mares could lead to problems. I'm not sure if any research has been done, but if the mare is going to live out during early pregnancy the changing weather/food availability & quality may affect the foal's early development.

For these reasons, I don't think I would want to cover a mare any later than 15th July.

bettens

We have sucessfully covered twice in October, last year it was very late October. But much will hinge on the mare, how good the weather is at the end of the season to keep her seasoning and whether you want a late foal. ATM we are covering a bit later in the season because April and May have been so cold wet and grotty, so trying more for June landings now - that said it if flippin awful now!

Rach