When is the time right?

serena2005

Visit site
Hello,

I’ve got an elderly pony of 30 years old who’s days are numbered,
His field mate is 25 and apart from cushings is in good health.
they have been together for 7 years, and both fully retired living out for the last 3 years.
I have the option to put another pony in with the other one, but I am concerned with how she will cope, do I introduce the new pony before he goes? or do I save her the stress and have them both pts at the same time? I know there no correct answer
But maybe some first hand experiences will help me make a more informed decision

thank yoj

PipsqueakXy22

Visit site
Could you not put the new pony in now and see how the 25y/o and them will get on now? That way if sadly the day comes for the 30y/o to go she will still have a familiar friendly face

serena2005

Visit site
Could you not put the new pony in now and see how the 25y/o and them will get on now? That way if sadly the day comes for the 30y/o to go she will still have a familiar friendly face

Yes I’m going to talk to the owner to see if she would be happy to introduce them, they are field neighbours anyway so have known each other for a few years so I’m hoping she will take to the new pony, but she suffers with separation anxiety

JackFrost

Visit site
Your 25 yr old could have several more years in her, so personally I would try to avoid pts. Your plan to try an introduction sounds like a good one,and should make the decision clearer. When I have known horses pts together, it was because there wasn't really another good option. I think it also depends on your feeling about how the two horses relate to each other, if they were very bonded I might decide to let them go together. A hard thing x.

Ali27

Visit site
Our little 23 year old pony was diagnosed with liver failure a few years ago so I got a little companion pony on loan before I had her pts. I knew that my 14.2 ridden mare needed a companion. I initially kept new companion separate but she ducked under electric fence one day so let them all stay together. When I had pony pts a few months later, my ridden mare was fine and I let her sniff her body etc and she now adores new companion pony ?

serena2005

Visit site
Your 25 yr old could have several more years in her, so personally I would try to avoid pts. Your plan to try an introduction sounds like a good one,and should make the decision clearer. When I have known horses pts together, it was because there wasn't really another good option. I think it also depends on your feeling about how the two horses relate to each other, if they were very bonded I might decide to let them go together. A hard thing x.

Unfortunately he’s deteriorating quite fast, so I think it’s a matter of weeks maybe a month at a push.
she is very bonded to him and suffers separation anxiety even if I take him on the other side of the fence to feed him

serena2005

Visit site

thank you, I just hope she takes to it rather than trying to keep it away from my pony, she’s very possessive over him

JackFrost

Visit site
Unfortunately he’s deteriorating quite fast, so I think it’s a matter of weeks maybe a month at a push.
she is very bonded to him and suffers separation anxiety even if I take him on the other side of the fence to feed him
Then if she doesn't quickly take to the new one, I would let the two friends go together. If that is how it works out, you have done them both the greatest kindness. So I guess she will decide this one for you.

Ali27

Visit site
My ridden pony had major separation anxiety with pony we had pts but she was absolutely fine after pony was pts as she had her new little bestie.