When is this foal going to arrive?

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have a miniture mare that is due to give birth in 3 weeks but she has started having a sticky yellowish discharge, having read many web sites and books on foaling non of them mention this, any ideas? Only bred once before and that was ninteen years ago and with a maiden mare who showed no signs of birth whatsoever and the vet claimed wasn't even pregnant even though she had been scanned in foal, the foal was born 4 days after the vet visited, 4 weeks later than expected.

Thistle

Visit site
Is the discharge from the vulva? Could it be the mucus plug?

If it smell bad then call the vet as it could be some sort of infection (I sniff everything, rely on my sense of small a lot)

snopuma

Visit site
I have always thought a yellow discharge from the bags indicates a phantom pregnancy, but it could also be an infection or it could be normal for this mare, sorry thats not that helpful but just throwing some suggestions out there!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If the sticky yellowish discharge is from the udder, then this is normal. We have a mare about to foal here and she had a few days of yellow tacky oozing from her nipples around two weeks ago. Since then it has been creamy white. I expect your mare has a couple of weeks left yet. But I am no expert. Far from it. I am relying on the good people who are experienced breeders who hang out in here. :)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
The discharge is from the vulva but no smell and mare is well and eating, I have contacted her previous owner who has bred from her before and she says the mare has not had this problem with her last two pregnancies. I do not think it is the plug as it started two days ago and still no foal. This will definitely be my last foal can't stand the strain!

Asha

Visit site
My mare had this last year, i phoned my vet who said it was probably the plug and expect a baby in a few days. Baby arrived a week later. If your worried, just give your vet a call. Good luck

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Thanks for all your help, had the vet out as the problem had worsened. The mare has no temperature and nothing untoward found on internal examination so looks like all is ok. She is still full of energy and eating like a horse! A big one! Never, never,never again will I have a foal!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I really mean it this time, this is my second but it is worse than having my own child! I am fed up of waking in the middle of the night and having to get up to check that she is ok. I think it is worse because she is a miniture and I am so worried about her being able to deliver the foal which is rediculous as this will be her third to the same stallion. I did know she was in foal when I bought her last October but only had her to keep my new miniture company when it became obvious that the big horses were not going to accept her in the field with them and I felt sorry for her on her own. Glutton for punishment or what? Then there is the worry that it will be a colt and will have to go through the gelding process, more worry and expense. I am beginning to think I have a screw loose and my husband definately thinks I have!

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Unfortunately my little mare had a still birth yesterday afternoon. Foal had no sign of life right from the beginning and all was done to try to revive her. Mare doing well if a little confused. Luckily last years foal is with her which seems to be a comfort.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
So sorry to hear this. I am wondering then if the discharge was due to the foal dying. I also wonder if she would therefore still have milk? May not be suitable for a foster mum. Poor little thing. I hope she recovers soon and so sorry for your loss.

ribbons

Visit site
So sorry to hear your sad news. It'd devastating for mare and owners. Is it my imagination or is this year giving a higher rate of losses of mares or foals. Seems quite a few on various forums and I personally know of two. Do hope your mare recovers from her loss quickly, thoughts are with you, it's so sad to lose one.
I remember reading somewhere, mother nature does not mind losing the odd foal so long as the species in general survives, we however do mind, our foal is precious.
I really feel for you.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
My little mare is doing really well mainly because her yearling is with her and I am sure that is a great comfort to her. Unfortunately the yearling has started to suckle again which is a bit of a problem. Have been advised by the vet to separate them but I just can't do that to her yet. It would appear that the placenta had ruptured and this may have caused the discharge last week. Would advice anyone who has this problem to contact their vet immediately. Not sure if a mare could be induced but do feel that if this had been done last week we may have had a live foal. The foal looked perfect and was a chestnut filly, named her Pencarnan Bronwyn and she has been buried along side my two other mares who died of old age some time ago. Planted an oaktree along side her to remember her by. Thanks for all your comments really appreciate it. There will be no more horse breeding on my farm that is for sure.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
It is a fortnight today since the still birth of Rosie's foal and she is doing remarkably well. She is eating and full of energy and looking really great. I think we are over the worst thank goodness. As I now have to find a job for her to do as no foal to bring up I feel she may make a good driving pony as she is fearless. Never tried this before so getting some lessons so here goes.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Well it is almost a year since Rosie lost her foal and bless her she has been a star. She is looking fantastic and is a happy little pony. Last November we ended up buying Rosie's granddaughter from her first filly but to the same stallion as my rising 2 year old so have a lovely little family of three now. I am so relieved that she is over the loss. Sorry pointless update but just so pleased that she is doing so well and is so happy. :)

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
No haven't started as we decided to give her a full year of recovery time and to let her settle back down and to be honest she has been a brood mare for the last 5 years and I think she is totally happy out the field fussing over the two youngsters so it looks like we will only be driving with the two year old. Started long reining her and she loves being out and about and is completely unfazed by traffic or dogs or people so will be concentrating on her this summer and will see how the mare is after the summer. We wont breed form her again and hopefully once she realizes that she will start enjoy leaving the field but at the moment she doesn't unless its to be groomed which she loves. Just want to give her a quiet life now and hopefully she will not miss being a mum every year. We have her foal from 2011, the one we want to drive and have bought a rising 1 year old so she has 'little' company. I think she would make a lovely child's pony as she is so gentle and loves attention but don't have any small children in the family and she has never been backed but to be honest I don't think it would take long as she is accepting of everything bless her, she really is a little star.

Last edited: