When is to much to much BULLYING

Englishcowgirl91

Visit site
I pay for a service to have my boy with other youngsters. So my boy 10 months is in a field with two other weanlings and an older one (not sure on age)
At first the bigger one was a little temperamental with them all but has quickly calmed down and all 4 of them including mine have been settled and finally the older one has started to allow them all to eat the forage and feed.
The other day I noticed another older horse has been added and this one is “vile” towards all of them. It chases the weanlings out of the shelter so they can’t get to the hay. It will not allow them to eat their feed and it hogs all of the hay.
The weanlings will not enter the shelter to eat the hay and if they are in there already as soon as this one comes in they are cowardly in the corner with their bums towards it hiding their faces. As soon as it moves close ears back and teeth they run into the fences, the walls and try to escape.
Although I know that dominant behaviour sometimes looks worse than it is. But when is enough enough? When is bullying just bullying?
I’m not precious but I don’t feel this is right, I don’t think that these babies including mine and the other should be shying away from their feed and the hay.

I personally don’t think this horse should have even been put in there.

What are peoples opinions?
When is it wrong? Am I being over the top?

[155411]

Visit site
I pay for a service to have my boy with other youngsters. So my boy 10 months is in a field with two other weanlings and an older one (not sure on age)
At first the bigger one was a little temperamental with them all but has quickly calmed down and all 4 of them including mine have been settled and finally the older one has started to allow them all to eat the forage and feed.
The other day I noticed another older horse has been added and this one is “vile” towards all of them. It chases the weanlings out of the shelter so they can’t get to the hay. It will not allow them to eat their feed and it hogs all of the hay.
The weanlings will not enter the shelter to eat the hay and if they are in there already as soon as this one comes in they are cowardly in the corner with their bums towards it hiding their faces. As soon as it moves close ears back and teeth they run into the fences, the walls and try to escape.
Although I know that dominant behaviour sometimes looks worse than it is. But when is enough enough? When is bullying just bullying?
I’m not precious but I don’t feel this is right, I don’t think that these babies including mine and the other should be shying away from their feed and the hay.

I personally don’t think this horse should have even been put in there.

What are peoples opinions?
When is it wrong? Am I being over the top?
Older horse should be removed. He’s causing distress to the babies and himself if he’s constantly feeling the need to fight off the others.

Englishcowgirl91

Visit site
Yes especially in the horse world.
I don’t think the horse needs to be there I don’t know the full story but I do know that it is no benefit to the younger ones or like you said itself being in there.

[155411]

Visit site
Yes especially in the horse world.
I don’t think the horse needs to be there I don’t know the full story but I do know that it is no benefit to the younger ones or like you said itself being in there.
Is there a YO/YM that you can speak to to prevent awkwardness/ tension? Last thing you want is to feel unwelcome if that horses owner takes it the wrong way! I’m totally with you and by the sounds of it that horse should be elsewhere.

[155411]

Visit site
You have had several threads about this now why don't you just find somewhere else.

Your not happy with the place your youngster sounds miserable and the place just sounds unsuitable as they are not changing anything to make it better.
Not always easy moving she may have other factors that are making it a big decision whether to move or not. If the youngster has bonded with the others it might not be great to move especially at a young age when all that is needed to be done is for that older horse to be moved as there’s not use for him to be there by the sounds of it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Not always easy moving she may have other factors that are making it a big decision whether to move or not. If the youngster has bonded with the others it might not be great to move especially at a young age when all that is needed to be done is for that older horse to be moved as there’s not use for him to be there by the sounds of it.
You need to speak to the owner and get things changed but it sounds like you have tried but it's still the same, so if they are not prepared to make things better you don't have any option but to find elsewhere.

ihatework

Visit site
Is this the same place that initially lobbed your foal out with a bunch of 2yo’s?

On another post you say you are paying £400/month for Youngstock field livery - this is a good budget and you should be able to find far better for your yearling.

For instance my yearling is currently at stud and is in an age matched paddock, out 24/7, field shelter, hay & feed, poo picking, super safe fencing, regular updates and includes worming program and foot trim. £350/month.

Arzada

Visit site
Your yard seems to be a lost cause from your POV and the POV of the youngsters. In your position I would move, pronto. And when you move have in mind plans B and C just in case you need to move in the future. I'm always aware of options in case I need to move my horse. This has only happened once and even now, on a yard where we are happy and have been happy for many years I have in mind options, just in case. For me it's impossible to feel totally secure on someone else's land, yard etc so knowledge of options help me.