When is well just too well?

Wimbles

Visit site
One of my ex racers has got plenty of weight on, something I've often struggled like mad to make happen but I'm starting to get a little concerned that he's getting a bit too big. He's ridden almost every day but the grass is only just starting to come through

What do you think?

Picture231-1.jpg

Cliqmo

Visit site
I agree with DWI, it's nice to see him slightly over (instead of slightly underweight) but he certainly doesn't need any more! If you have plans to up his workload it should come off anyway.

TicTac

Visit site
well if he is standing next to the field that "the grass is only just coming through" in then my horses are in starvation paddocks! He is looking very round :) and I would watch his weight if I were you.

rara007

Visit site
He looks huge for a TB, but compare him to a 'normal' horse and his weight looks about right. Would probably reduce any hard feed a litlle and if he gets any bigger start taking more serious mesures just to check he doesn't get too big, as horses can be prone to lami.

Wimbles

Visit site
No, that's a hay making field. God he'd explode if he ever went in there. I stopped the hard feed some time ago. Reckon I'll just have to limit him to the top field for now

It's so hard as I've got three nice round (some more than others
wink.gif
) and one that needs a bit more on
confused.gif

Aru

Visit site
im gona go against the grain here and say i wouldnt be happy with him...hes a bit too heavy for my liking.it might be just the picture tho ..id say hes a 4 in body condition score because of the crest and his general bulkyness on the body esp if hes a tb..has he a gutter like indention on his back?

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I agree it's sooooooo nice to see a cuddly TB! He looks lovely, bless him. But if I were totally honest he is maybe a little porky for his slender TB legs. Are you sure he isn't pregnant lol?

Taffster

Visit site
I personally think he is about right if anything i think his bottom needs building up a bit and more muscle definition in his neck that it will make him look more even and smaller around the stomach.

josiesmithuk

Visit site
Sorry will completely go against the grain I think he looks really well, once the backend becomes more muscled and rounds off it will look better still. Ok I wouldn't go putting him on any hard feed or turninging out in a lush paddock but he's hardly obese!

x x

Ziggy_

Visit site
I think he is very fat, I'd keep a close eye on him and TBH I'd want to get some of that weight off him.
crazy.gif