When it rains it bl00dy pours... Advice needed

_jetset_

Visit site
We're just getting Han back hacking out and doing some quiet lunging when she comes in with a lump the size of an orange on the front of her shoulder. I honestly don't think it is a horse fly bite or sting because she has had both of these before and never come up like this... Most people who have seen it think it's a kick because there is swelling around the lump.

The lump was rock hard yesterday (panic) but has gone a little squishier this morning. She has been having it cold hosed and a free trot in the school (very naughty, not supposed to do this!) morning and night to see whether that will reduce it. BUT it has not decreased in size at all in over 24 hours.
confused.gif

She is not at all lame on it, so I am hoping it is just a fluidy build up caused by the kick...

Has anyone seen anything like this before and if so what did you/owner of horse do about it?

_jetset_

Visit site
That's what I'm thinking (that's blood isn't it??) What do you do with them? My Dad made me laugh because he said you hit them with a Bible, lol! Can just imagine Han's face if I did that.

allijudd

Visit site
try some arnica cream and feed some arnica every 2 hours(if possible)...also pick some nettles dry them off and add to her feed...good ant inflammatory and should help...

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
My youngster had something similar the other month, but on his jaw. I thought he'd been kicked by one the others (he can be a bit of a pest!) as the lump appeared over night, and certainly wasn't a bite. Was rock hard, so iced it, etc, but still didn't go down. Next day was slightly soft but still didn't reduce in size. Kept an eye on it and eventually curiosity got the better of me and I clipped away the hair to see if I could see a head on it. Then suddenly **BANG**! It burst!
shocked.gif

Seems it was an absess. Drained it and treated with with magnesium to get rid of all the poison. Revolting, but my poor boy mut have felt an awful lot better!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You can massage them - or just see how it goes.

Amymay had a massive one on her backside a fortnight before she went to stud from a kick.

It was gone by the time she went to Devon - I did just leave it because she was very sore.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks everyone... so the Bible is a no go then?

I'll give it a massage and cold hose and hot compress it tonight and see if that helps. I need to buy some arnica but won't have time until Sunday
blush.gif
as working tonight and at a wedding all day tomorrow.

marmite

Visit site
jacob had something like that when i first got him on loan it turned out to be fluid and went within a week.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... will have a look in the veterinary forum now. I was thinking that too so have been lightly lunging her to try and make it disperse. Last time she had something like this she ended up having her lanced...