When it seems like they're out to get you...

Eggshells

Visit site
Some may remember me moaning on here about the walking disaster that is my horse. Brief recap: Right hind tendon sheath injury August '13, bilateral hindlimb suspensory injury from April '14, right shoulder injury March '15 with xrays showing changes to the greater tuberosity of the humerus and ultrasound showing damage to the infraspinatus tendon, grade 3 stomach ulcers diagnosed May '15, mild palmer foot pain which is probably navicular... well, ulcers are sorted, suspensories should be fairly well sorted, foot pain in minor and being treated with shoeing and the shoulder is getting worse with rest. The decision has been made to start to gently bring him back to work in combination with intensive physio to try and stop the muscle wastage in the shoulder and hopefully restore full movement to the joint.

A week last Friday was the big day for getting back on board, recruited some moral support, brave pants on, hip flask at the ready, went to get horse in from the field... hopping lame left fore. Having just lost a shoe and had it put back on I guessed (read prayed for) an abscess/nail bind. A few muttered curse words and 4 days of poulticing produced good results and he was he was sound in walk with a boot on and farrier booked for shoeing next week.

So comes this Friday and the Big Meeting with Vet and Physio to assess the shoulder and create the plan of action. Go to get horse in from the field and low and behold: lame right hind. I mean LAME right hind. Pretty much non weight baring on a tight circle, completely camped under in the stable and occasionally lifting it completely off the ground. Vet tried ever so hard to get a reaction from the hoof testers, but no such luck. No obvious swellings or injuries but very reactive to palpation of the sacroiliac region and lameness indicative of stifle problem in vets experience. Cue a few days box rest and bute and reassess middle of next week.

Problem being he is a nightmare to box rest and gets very stressed. He weaves, he box walks, he gets the *****s, he refuses to eat. None of which is good for either shoulder, ulcers or phyche. I am now stocked up with ACP tablets and self pity, but running very low on moral. Think someone must have lent this horse a copy of an equine medical textbook and he is busy working his way through it!

Good thing he's beautiful -
attachment.php

Cobbytype

Visit site
Sorry to hear your boy is in the wars.

If it's anything like my boy, he was on and off lame behind for a fortnight before Christmas 2013, then couldn't weight bear on his off hind on Christmas day. Young vet comes out and he took the mickey out of her because she insisted on faffing about testing everything (heart, lungs, eyes) and by the time she got to his leg he'd had enough. Pain relief given, followed by my usual vet on Boxing Day. Hoof testers produced nothing, vet thought there was a swelling on his stifle. "If there was an abscess he'd be going through the roof by now, but there's no reaction to the pincers" says vet. Not good as horse very, very uncomfortable and vet was worried about laminitis setting in because my horse was standing awkwardly and in obvious pain. Prescribed loads of pain relief, box rest, with short, gentle walks out in hand.

Day after boxing day, horse starts to tentatively weight bear and is getting stroppy because he wants to go to the paddock. Day after he's walking at normal speed with a limp and improving by the hour - and it is noticed that an abscess has popped through his coronet band.

With a bit of luck, your boy will be the same. Good luck!

Eggshells

Visit site
Thank you Faracat. He is less lame turning this morning (although that may be the Bute at work), but reacts to the lightest pressure over his sacroiliac area so I think that is indeed where the problem lies. Fingers crossed for pulled muscles.

ACP tablets seem to be taking the edge off him and he polished his hay net off over night and his stable only had a little track round it -although that may be because he usually box walks clockwise, but as he can't pivot on that right hind he is having to go anticlockwise and isn't happy about it!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
So sorry to hear all these issues he has. He's a very lucky boy to of found you!
He is indeed very handsome. Sending lots of *vibes*. x

pony&cow

Visit site
Sorry to hear about all your issues and yes your right he is gorgeous.

Its probably the least of your worries at the min but read this and just thought i'd let you know if you didnt already that bute can cause/trigger ulcers in some horses. If yours has already had them it may be worth speaking to your vet about other pain relief options? Just a thought.

Fingers crossed for your boy.

Eggshells

Visit site
Hi, thank you for all comments. Pony&Cow: thank you for you thoughts. I do know about the bute/ulcer link, but as it was only short term (he is off it now) and he is still on 1/2 a Gastroguard daily I think (hope) the risks of a flare up are fairly low. Main concern was the stress of being confined to barracks!

He is very very much better now - must have realised how close I was to giving up and calling it a day on Friday and decided to pull his socks up. Fingers crossed he stays comfortable off the bute and gets the all clear from the vet later in the week so start re-habbing his shoulder.

Spilletta

Visit site
Sorry, nothing useful to say, but just wanted to add some positive *vibes* for you and your lovely boy. Hope you have good news to report soon on his re-hab.