When moving yards, how long......

Syrah

Visit site
was it before you rode your horse?

The reason I'm asking is because I moved my mare on Saturday, gave her yesterday off and can't do anything work wise with her until Thursday. It's a combination of work commitment and the manege being used by others at the only time I can go to the yard.

I've only owned her for 3 wks so we're still in the very early stages of building the trust and respect so I'm planning to do some ground work with her this week and book an instructor for the first ride next week (I'm a complete wuss after being unceremoniously dumped by a bombproof riding school horse the day before I bought my horse and I've lost all confidence).

I think I'm worrying that I'm going to ruin her if I can't and won't get on her asap and without an instructor the first couple of times. The annoying thing is, she's as safe as houses, has never put a foot wrong (apart from using me as a tow rope to turn out :D sorted that one with a Dually), it is all me in my head and thinking that people are judging me. She is my dream horse and I will get over this, I'm just worrying about her whilst I'm being a prat and sorting myself out.

Any words of wisdom and advice gentle or not so gentle gratefully received :eek:

TheShark

Visit site
No advice. Just want to say good luck.

And don't forget, even the mist gentle, riding school horses can be sods sometimes. And if they want to get you off, they know lots of tricks, so try not to let getting dumped worry you. :)

rossiroo

Visit site
I would try and ride as soon as possible, it doesn't have to be much, just a walk and trot round the school or a gentle hack with someone.Try to enjoy your horse rather than see it as an ordeal. The horse will probably like a tour of the new suroundings and it may help it to settle in. Try and suss out a sensible person to ride with to give you confidence. have fun.

Boxers

Visit site
I think that as she is new to you and you are a little nervous, then you are doing the right thing by waiting until your instructor can be with you the first time you get on her. In the meantime, you can spend time with her, grooming her and talking to her and just getting to know each other.

Does your yard have a booking system for the menage? I would get your slots booked in if I were you!

mrogers

Visit site
I normally ride any new arrivals on the day they arrive.My theory is its no different than going to a competition. The horse travels, comes out the box and needs to knuckle down to its job so don't see how its any different to it arriving at a new yard

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I actually hacked my horse to his new yard and rode him as normal thereafter. However when I first bought him I gave him 5 days to settle at the initial yard I took him to.

little_critter

Visit site
See how you both feel. If she's a bit unsettled by the move then give her time to settle down, because she'll only set your nerves off if she's on her toes.
I'm sure no harm will come if you wait until your lesson to ride.
If she's chilled out and you feel ok then hop on and have a very gentle and unpressured walk / trot round (whatever you feel comfortable with).
If you don't feel like getting on then do some groundwork. Getting her to lead nicely round the school, moving when you move, stopping when you stop. Get her to move over when you press on her side etc, walking over poles, through a 'maze' of poles. There's all sorts you can try - no rush.

There's no hard and fast rule - just go on how you are both feeling.