When sellers are time wasters (not the buyer!)

Lissie2

Visit site
So offen we hear the term 're-advertised due to time waster' but 4 months into my horse hunt and I've never been mucked around so much. People advertising and leading you on when really they're not sure if they actually even want to sell, people giving you first refusal, then not sticking to it, people cancelling viewings when your actually DRIVING there. I understand most owners just want their babies to go to a good home, but what happened to being upfront and honest? I think I'm too straight forward and a bit too trusting but thats rapidly fading! Grrrrr xx

StableMum

Visit site
My daughter travelled some distance to view a horse that was on selling livery, really liked her and wanted to buy. The owner then came back saying she wanted the horse to have a rest because she'd had a lot of viewings, she'd be in touch at the end of the month. We could get no sense out of her and in the end gave up. Not only our time wasted but the yard owner who gave us a fantastic 2 hour viewing which included access to a BE xc course.
The horse my daughter eventually bought, she was given first refusal as first to view, which quickly turned into a competition between her and another prospective buyer as to who was most suitable. She "won" her but paid full price as she felt unable to make an offer despite ono on the advertised price.
Very stressful

EventingMum

Visit site
Someone I know viewed a horse one afternoon, texted that evening saying they wanted to buy, subject to vetting and would be over the next day with a deposit. The following morning at 10am they phoned to confirm they when they would arrive with the deposit as it was a 2 hour drive and were told the horse was sold.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Someone I know viewed a horse one afternoon, texted that evening saying they wanted to buy, subject to vetting and would be over the next day with a deposit. The following morning at 10am they phoned to confirm they when they would arrive with the deposit as it was a 2 hour drive and were told the horse was sold.

I can't see what's wrong with this, sorry. I never view a horse without a cash deposit in my pocket. Someone bought it while they delayed. The owner would have been silly to wait, especially if they were offered cash no vet, which is what I do.

Wheels

Visit site
I'm on the hunt at the moment and it is very frustrating I have to say.

Some vendors just can't seem to answer simple questions!

Fiona

Visit site
We viewed a nice child's pony and vendors agreed to a trial. The next day she backed out of the trial (fair enough) but refused even to bring pony to a local venue so we could see it in the open rather than a small sand arena. Eventually she agreed that she didn't want to sell it after all :( Silly cow :(

Fiona

Tangaroo

Visit site
I find it frustrating the number of people who advertise horses and then dont answer the phone or if you leave a message they dont call you back.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's hard work that's for sure I am always so glad when it's over .
The not calling back is really strange I don't get that .

Luna2006

Visit site
Back in October we drove nearly 2 hours to view a horse, called the evening after we viewed to say we wanted him & put a deposit down. Few days later - after transport had been arranged & everything agreed with YO, the owners pulled out. They claimed it was because they didn't like the yard he'd be going too, but when we viewed him they did say they'd been fussy with who they'd let view him and how their daughter loved him so much and didn't really want to sell him...
The first horse we viewed we said we would like to buy & arranged a second viewing, morning of the viewing got a text (not even a call) too say she'd been sold. I get no deposit had been paid/no vetting arranged, but I hadn't been allowed to view her until another viewer had decided they didn't want to buy which is I why I don't understand why someone else had been allowed to view her even though we had said we wanted her.
We also had at least 3 people not answer calls/texts/emails - all these owners were over the same time period, shocking how many sellers waste time to be honest!

eggs

Visit site
Some years ago we tried a horse for my husband. Liked him paid the deposit, got him vetted, agreed a new price based on the issues raised in the vetting, agreed the day and time (2 days later) that we were going to pick him up and hand over the cash. 30 minutes before we were due to leave to collect him I got a call from a friend of the seller (who I knew) to say that they had sold the horse to some-one else.

stormox

Visit site
I think it's very difficult selling. Who has priority? The first to phone? The first to view? The first to say they'll have it? It can only be the first one with the money and if there's one who's willing to pay the full amount and take the horse without waiting for vet or anyone else it has to be them.

Elsbells

Visit site
I think it's very difficult selling. Who has priority? The first to phone? The first to view? The first to say they'll have it? It can only be the first one with the money and if there's one who's willing to pay the full amount and take the horse without waiting for vet or anyone else it has to be them.

This^ ^
As a seller be it horses or houses, money on the table=SOLD!

rhylis

Visit site
I've had two unfortunate experiences when it came to trying to buy horses. The first was a child's pony for my daughter. We got there to find that the seller had arranged for the young girl who had him on loan to ride him for us but she hadn't actually told the little girl that she was selling him! The poor child was devastated when she realised. I felt awful for her especially as my daughter really got on with the pony and we wanted to buy him. However when we offered the asking price the seller said she had actually already sold him but she had let us view him in case it fell through. So then there were two little girls in tears!
The second incident was a horse I'd agreed to buy. We borrowed a trailer to pick her up and the seller asked us if we could do them a favour by picking up their new Shetland on the journey over to them. I thought it was a bit of a cheek but agreed. On the morning of collection they text to say they'd changed their mind about selling the mare but could we still collect and deliver the Shetland. They got really grumpy when I said no!

Ceifer

Visit site
I was trying to buy an Iberian a couple of years ago. It was overpriced as the owner had over egged what the horse could do and had done but she wouldn't budge on price. I really liked the horse and she knew it. I did two viewings and on the second she said she had another viewing straight after mine and several others booked in. Then she said that she'd want to vet the yard I thought fair enough, but she announced she couldn't come for 6 weeks (the remainder of the summer ) and that I'd have to pay a 25% deposit to 'hold' him at her yard until after her inspection.
Funnily enough I walked away.

eventer and proud

Visit site
My friend drove 3+ hours to veiw a horse. We met here there as horse was very local to us and hadnt see friend in a long time. Noticed horses was dragging left hind leg slighlty, we were told this was because she was and old event horse and slightly stiff. Then asked why she hadn't competed for 4 years (Eg competed 2001,2002.....2007,2008,2009) told she had had a foal then tried to had another one but it didn't work. (thought this was strange as it doesnt take 4yrs to have a foal.) Friend loved her, asked for a 5* vetting. Owner said NO. Pulled out offer as thought this was strange. Turned out horse had ripped tendon/leg basically lame for life (only slighlty though) and we werent told????

Ceifer

Visit site
I've had two unfortunate experiences when it came to trying to buy horses. The first was a child's pony for my daughter. We got there to find that the seller had arranged for the young girl who had him on loan to ride him for us but she hadn't actually told the little girl that she was selling him! The poor child was devastated when she realised. I felt awful for her especially as my daughter really got on with the pony and we wanted to buy him. However when we offered the asking price the seller said she had actually already sold him but she had let us view him in case it fell through. So then there were two little girls in tears!
The second incident was a horse I'd agreed to buy. We borrowed a trailer to pick her up and the seller asked us if we could do them a favour by picking up their new Shetland on the journey over to them. I thought it was a bit of a cheek but agreed. On the morning of collection they text to say they'd changed their mind about selling the mare but could we still collect and deliver the Shetland. They got really grumpy when I said no!

That's awful :(. Can't believe people would act like that

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
Buyers are always customers never timewasters. I'd never respond to an advert that said no timewasters. It tells me a lot about the sellers attitude to the people whose money they want to take

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I've never got this tbh and is ANYONE so much as puts this on an advert I'm a'scrollin' down!

How can some one be time wasting if they are viewing? You either like it or you don't. If you dont move on... how is that timewasting??? made an effort to drive down to see horse/pony? NOT timewasters.

Sellers who do not prepare the horse IMO are the timewasters...

Any seller who puts "back up for sale due to time wasters" are usually the timewasters....

I say usually but buyers that change minds are also to blame - yes you have a right but not if you've negotiated on price... buyers that back out are also cowards -agree terms, don't be shady.

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
I've never got this tbh and is ANYONE so much as puts this on an advert I'm a'scrollin' down!

How can some one be time wasting if they are viewing? You either like it or you don't. If you dont move on... how is that timewasting??? made an effort to drive down to see horse/pony? NOT timewasters.

Sellers who do not prepare the horse IMO are the timewasters...

Any seller who puts "back up for sale due to time wasters" are usually the timewasters....

I see that last phrase on so many ads and I often wonder how many of those are simply viewing that's haven't ended in a sale.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I see that last phrase on so many ads and I often wonder how many of those are simply viewing that's haven't ended in a sale.

THanks for quoting and I had to edit to add a sentence about buyers too....

However, yes, Scats - you can always spot a disgruntled seller that wasn't brave enough to settle a deal lashing an empty score towards the last viewer....

scats

Visit site
Another phrase that pops up a lot on ads is no joyriders. I do wonder if this phrase being used actually stops the joyriders, or if the joyriders have no idea that there are joyriders? I assume these are people who view horses with no intention of buying or people who view horses way out of price range?

TGM

Visit site
My friend drove 3+ hours to veiw a horse. We met here there as horse was very local to us and hadnt see friend in a long time. Noticed horses was dragging left hind leg slighlty, we were told this was because she was and old event horse and slightly stiff. Then asked why she hadn't competed for 4 years (Eg competed 2001,2002.....2007,2008,2009) told she had had a foal then tried to had another one but it didn't work. (thought this was strange as it doesnt take 4yrs to have a foal.) Friend loved her, asked for a 5* vetting. Owner said NO. Pulled out offer as thought this was strange. Turned out horse had ripped tendon/leg basically lame for life (only slighlty though) and we werent told????

If that was earlier on this year, must have been same one that a friend viewed. I recognised the horse (a previous owner was an HHO user and had posted prolifically about it) and wondered why it hadn't been competing for a while and did a bit of digging, and found the current owner had previously retired the mare due to three different soundness problems! Almost exactly the same scenario - a mare, had one foal, didn't take the second time. Friend asked for 5 stage vetting and owner said no.

Lissie2

Visit site
Gah! Just messaged a seller saying 'have you changed your mind? Please be clear so I can look elsewhere'. This person contacted ME about their horse. Apparently they've become so close in last two weeks (as she been prepping him) that now she wants to keep him..GIVE ME STRENGTH.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Gah! Just messaged a seller saying 'have you changed your mind? Please be clear so I can look elsewhere'. This person contacted ME about their horse. Apparently they've become so close in last two weeks (as she been prepping him) that now she wants to keep him..GIVE ME STRENGTH.

I saw this a lot when I was last looking and to a certain extent I can understand it. The last horse I sold was one that I'd had for several years and loved dearly but just didn't click with. The reason we never clicked was that he was so inconsistent and could go from being a nappy brat to schooling wonderfully and was the most fun I've had on a sponsored ride. I'd known for a while we weren't right for each other, but just like a bad relationship, every time we had a good ride I'd think lets just see how he goes this next month and stick it out a little bit longer. Admittedly he was never up for sale until I was 100% certain, but I can understand those that change their mind once they start putting a bit of work into the horse.

In your shoes I wouldn't hold fire on the search just because someone contacts you about a potentially suitable horse, if you're having to chase them it's probably not meant to be.

eventer and proud

Visit site
If that was earlier on this year, must have been same one that a friend viewed. I recognised the horse (a previous owner was an HHO user and had posted prolifically about it) and wondered why it hadn't been competing for a while and did a bit of digging, and found the current owner had previously retired the mare due to three different soundness problems! Almost exactly the same scenario - a mare, had one foal, didn't take the second time. Friend asked for 5 stage vetting and owner said no.

Must be the same person. My friend saw her earlier this year

pixie27

Visit site
We flew up to Scotland to see a mare that looked perfect on paper, lovely pics and huge amount of videos, very detailed conversations with the owner. Got there and the horse had swollen legs. Were a bit dubious but thought must be because horse had been in for a day or two.

Firstly owner couldn't get on - took her about 10 minutes to do so (despite saying horse had no quirks/was perfect). Then when she rode it, it was very lame - don't think she realised as carried on riding. The horse had dropped a lot of condition, despite being shown 'recent' pics - didn't look like it'd been brushed in months, let alone ridden. Got on anyway and managed about two laps of the school in trot before handing her back over. The poor mare looked so sad, scared and quiet, I almost bought her out of pity.

Was v annoyed that owners had let us come to see a horse that was lame and out of work - and they knew we were flying up. The day cost me close to £300 - I wasn't a happy bunny!

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
It was the 3.5 hour trip to the deepest depth of South Wales to view a 14.2 driving pony, only to be presented with a 12.2 that otherwise fit the description. It had to be 14.2 as that is what its passport said! We were able to use the loo but did not even get offered a drink. At least we saw some stunning scenery on the journey as the motorway was closed and we had to take the very busy scenic route.

Cowpony

Visit site
I drove 2 hours each way to see a horse supposed to be an all-rounder. They told me he was on a dressage yard and they didn't do much jumping, but that he'd pop a cross-pole. Girl riding him could barely get him into a very unbalanced canter and it was clear he'd never seen a pole in his life. They'd also said he was 8, but the passport was in French, said nothing more than that it related to a grey horse, and the date was the date he'd been imported into France, not his birthdate. I'd have put him at 15, maybe even older. I didn't get on him. Drove home tired and grumpy.

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
Drove 4 hours to see a horse only to get a text 20mins from the yard. 'You can't see it, it's raining. Come back another time.' It wasn't raining as we drove to the postcode anyway to drop in on a friend who lived half a mile away so as to not make the day completely wasted.
Went to see a supposedly novice ride for my grandfather. The horse reared, bronked and ditched the owner within 10 minutes of the viewing. Politely explained that the horse would not be suitable and their response ' would you like to take him on loan then?' Erm no...
Drove over an hour and a half to see a supposedly well schooled ex racer ready to go on and compete RoR classes. Mare looked a bit tense with the owner but got on anyway to see what she was like. Greeted with a wobbly, tense bundle of energy that practically exploded if you so much as twitched your leg or moved in any way.

Same day as in same area went to view a heavyweight hunter. Fell in love with him, offered a deposit and they said no its ok when do you want to collect him?. Arranged collection for the following morning, got a text at 6am. We've decided to keep him after seeing he can go like that.