When the vet says............

applecart14

Visit site
Just an update, liver tests on the high side/borderline still normal/not a reason to panic so not in liver crisis :D. but possibly something upset it a bit.
couple of weeks of liver tonic, not allowing access to new grazing and will retest and see how doing then.

Tentatively good news though for the time being though and fingers crossed like your chap HP!, nose starting to look better by all counts too :). I will make sure to do another field check next weekend when I am back.

Good news sounds like he's on the mend.

applecart14

Visit site
Just an update, liver tests on the high side/borderline still normal/not a reason to panic so not in liver crisis :D. but possibly something upset it a bit.
couple of weeks of liver tonic, not allowing access to new grazing and will retest and see how doing then.

Tentatively good news though for the time being though and fingers crossed like your chap HP!, nose starting to look better by all counts too :). I will make sure to do another field check next weekend when I am back.

Good news sounds like he's on the mend.

sjp1

Visit site
Mine used to get a 'sunburnt nose' (ie., flakey scabby nose) in spite of being in during the day the year before last. This year we have had no 'sunburn'. I have changed his balancer to a Forage Plus one with higher levels of zinc and copper and other stuff, and am not sure if that has anything to do with it - I am sure though that you have all yours minerals in balance, so very probably not, but I was surprised that this year I have not had to use the thick white sunblock, and actually can't remember where the previous years pots are now - he is a few spot appy so prone to EVERYTHING!!

One of the small ponies belonging to tiny daughter of livery owner suddenly went very thin this year - on his initial blood test he had raised liver enzyme issues with the second - two weeks later - all seemed normal which was odd. A feed a day and more hay later he has seemed to get a bit plumper. It was all very odd really - in that two week period to have not a lot different but for the bloods to come back so differently.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes, I'm not worried about the minerals really as although not recently I do have a couple of analyses from current field, and one from Wiltshire so do know how they compare, he is on equimins adv. complete as he eats that ;), and it calculates out quite well for current grazing (I previously mixed individually). He's eating his tonic well though, (thank goodness for agrobs!) it comes in the most complicated measuring bottle known to man though!

I am hoping it is one of those random things and that in a two week period he'll be fine and that at least it was a sort of early warning. Just got back to wilts and he is still fine and dandy at home, looking a little feral as not been this fluffy in years (only because I clip really early usually!) and don't see the point in mane pulling anymore.

Walked the field again and certainly not much of anything I would worry about, we have sprayed the hogweed in case, but given liver enzymes are off I am not sure it is that, but we decided we could do with less anyway! Several of the neighbours very worried about them as they are used to the horses being out all the time and they have been stabled in the day, so minds put at rest!

the shadster

Visit site
Just a thought, have you noticed any crown rust on the grass in his paddock? I had two pink nosed goats affected (crusty sores) while the other non pinky goats and horses were unaffected. Happened this time of year which I believe is the usual for crown rust.

ester

Visit site
We do have rust now, the colour of my boots confirms that ;) I am not sure we have had it so much in the previous weeks- boots not orange from them but less wading through the longer stuff hunting for random potential weeds- but it is usual for us to get it so it is a possibility although again there consumption wouldn't be massive because of the set up as I am not sure it affects the short cropped grass.
Essentially we would just like winter to come to knock everything on the head!

michelledud

Visit site
My little grey welshie lived in the same field for 4 years. After one year of being there he came in one day with similar sores and blisters all over his muzzle, many were weeping it really didn't look nice, and looked sore although he didn't appear to be in pain when I touched him.
That particular day there was no one else around and I'd forgotten my cabinet keys so couldn't get to my wound cream. I'd just bought some Hypocare spray so put that on him, thinking it would do for now and that I'd put some "proper" wound cream on the next morning. Anyway I went down the next day and it was already looking better so I continued with the Hypercare and within 4 days the sores and blisters had completely cleared, you'd never have known there had ever been anything wrong! It was incredible!

Not had much chance to use it since except on the odd little cut or scrape and I've not noticed anything clear up any quicker than it would have done with any other cream etc.
So who knows if it was the Hypocare which healed it or whether anything else would have done the trick? But I was amazed at the time!
He never got the sores again so I've no idea what caused them.
Hope you manage to get yours resolved quickly xxx

ester

Visit site
Just thought I would update this looking much better!
14642485_1167988599933800_249466189564711481_n.jpg

blood results from monday were some ok, some still not ok. Tested the other horse and she is fine, current thinking is that it might be viral. He is still in amazing form so going to just monitor and keep feeding the milk thistle rather than biopsy yet. He will be happy as back in the field in the day now, and importantly, GRASS! albeit with his german engineered nose cover while waiting for rain. Typically we have had a rather nice couple of weeks weather wise.