When things go right...

Surbie

Visit site
It's been a crappy month so far. My yard was given a month's notice to quit at the beginning of December and I've been feeling quite desperate about it. I'm new to horses, I'm not great at change and I love where I am - my YM is supportive and the yard has been like a second home. My loan horse is supremely happy where he is and I hated having to tell his owner we were having our own version of a Nativity.

What this has done is throw into sharp relief how great people in the horsey world can be. Our local, and not so local, yards have been great in offering help. My instructor listened to my worries and offered a lifeline of a field if I needed it. Thank you so much to the lovely HHOer who sent me a list of yards to call.

I'm off to a new yard in a few weeks (eeeep!) where a close friend keeps her pony. It's thanks to her I can go there. I'm nervous about moving and it's further away, but the yard looks wonderful and there is unlimited turnout.

Plus, after a gap of over 30 years, today I had my first jumping lesson and Archie and I LEFT THE GROUND! My cheeks hurt from all the grinning and my hips just hurt...

There is no real point to this other than to say I am grateful that though some people are shitty, the great majority aren't. And my big hairy cob is amazing.

Waffling over - mince pie and mulled wine for those who got to the end. :D

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Really pleased your disastrous start to the month is turning around. Yes there are a lot of poobags out there, but thankfully a lot of kind and helpful people too :). Congratulations on getting airborne! I'm just starting the prep for jumping - light seat etc., Hope I do as well as you.... Did you ever have your second simulator lesson? I found a place and just have to find the time to get there.

Surbie

Visit site
Really pleased your disastrous start to the month is turning around. Yes there are a lot of poobags out there, but thankfully a lot of kind and helpful people too :). Congratulations on getting airborne! I'm just starting the prep for jumping - light seat etc., Hope I do as well as you.... Did you ever have your second simulator lesson? I found a place and just have to find the time to get there.

We went over the weeniest of cross-poles, but he did actually jump them. Second jump lesson on 23rd...Really glad you're going for it too!

And yes, yesterday. It showed very clearly how badly locked my hip is. My instructor got me to isolate and move hips more while in walk on the machine and there was a very loud OW! from me on the video. Am now trying to book in with a rider physio. :oops:

oldie48

Visit site
Gosh finding a new yard must be a huge relief I am so pleased for you. yes, I've come to the conclusion that you have to celebrate every time something goes well. Horses can be very up and down and well done for "leaving the ground"!

Surbie

Visit site
Yay for both new yard & leaving the ground! It's a great feeling!

I was looking for something to do that would stop me being miserable & focusing on having to leave and rather celebrate where I am. I remembered you'd left the ground recently and decided jumping by Christmas was a good goal. So. Much. Fun. :D

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I haven't jumped lately, our jumping field is a bit soggy & I have been quite ill with a horrible chest infection, but I am working on canter & my own dismal leg position, but we are getting there.

Surbie

Visit site
Surbie and Dave’s Mam I did it today!!! Joined the Mile High Club!! (OK the 40 cm High Club, that was plenty for me :oops:). ‘My’ RS horse is a star as is my instructor, still can’t believe I did it!!!

Oh fab! Well done you!! It feels great to have started. *cheers madly* :D

Hope you feel better soon Dave's Mam, it's a rotten time of year to be poorly.

I am having another jump lesson on Sunday, we've been practising walk/trot and trot/canter transitions over a pole rather a lot. Plus staying on a line and not drifting over to whichever bit of the school looks most interesting/has fewer alpacas loitering near it.

Rumtytum

Visit site
I haven't jumped lately, our jumping field is a bit soggy & I have been quite ill with a horrible chest infection, but I am working on canter & my own dismal leg position, but we are getting there.
Fingers crossed for you feeling much better very soon, chest infections are the pits - not being able to breathe and the least exertion brings you out in megasweats. Hope Dave was suitably sympathetic to his mam?

Rumtytum

Visit site
Oh fab! Well done you!! It feels great to have started. *cheers madly* :D

Hope you feel better soon Dave's Mam, it's a rotten time of year to be poorly.

I am having another jump lesson on Sunday, we've been practicing walk/trot and trot/canter transitions over a pole rather a lot. Plus staying on a line and not drifting over to whichever bit of the school looks most interesting/has fewer alpacas loitering near it.
Yes I remembered you have a lesson on Sunday, good luck! I did two lessons walk/trot/canter transitions over poles (cruel instructor put them in a 20metre circle) it helped a lot. No alpacas here thank goodness! Have booked an hour's simulator Jan 4th, looking forward to it.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you feeling much better very soon, chest infections are the pits - not being able to breathe and the least exertion brings you out in megasweats. Hope Dave was suitably sympathetic to his mam?
He was, he even stopped & let me lean on him on the steep hill to the field when I ran out of puff & got said sweats. He's a love.