When to affliate BD

Emshad

Visit site
Hey all,

If someone is getting consistant 60% or over at prelim level (max i think was 66%) when going to unaff dressage and wants to progress, would you reccomend that they affiliate to BD? Or would you say they do do a few other higher classes at unaff before affiliating? A lady i know would love to (but ive always heard its if you are getting consistant over 65s) so wanted to see what others veiws are
smile.gif

Lill

Visit site
Would be interested in replies to this!
smile.gif

I have got consistantly over 60% in Prelims since i started competing in dressage in Feb but i personally wouldn't bother with affiliating until i know my horse is capable enough to do well at Novice level with a view to moving up to Elementary.
smile.gif

I've recently discovered you can enter the Prelim classes at affiliated shows without being affiliated, so that is what i am doing this weekend
laugh.gif

Joss

Visit site
Personally I wouldnt affliate until my horse was doing well at Novice Level unaff. As you can do Open Prelims as a non-member. However, there are reasons to join at Prelim level as there are Qualifiers at this level.

Really it is up to you.... if you would like to affliate then go for it. If there is still plenty of challenges left at Unaffliated level then save the money.

I find dressage shows just so.....quiet....... no atmosphere & such an anti-climax. You have to get to the big shows before its fun.

But I am a mad eventer!!!!
wink.gif

Emshad

Visit site
Hi Lill,

She has also done what you have done and entered an open prelim before and had quite a good mark (i think in the low 60s) but has only ever done this once so really wants some advice on what to do next from those already affiliated. I notice your in Kent (we are too) where abouts? (pm me if you would rather)
smile.gif

Emma24

Visit site
I think you'd want to be getting a constant score above 65% at unaff at the level u want to do at BD, and being placed regualy top 3/4, before registering.
I think there IS quite a step from the judging and competing at an unaff to competing at BD.
But on the otherside of the coin the judges at BD are ment to better and you should get better feedback. ( but sadly this is not always the case.)

ecrozier

Visit site
I am having this debate with myself at the moment! We have been very regularly scoring 65% plus at prelim, and and last few novice tests have also been 65% ish unaffiliated. Planning to do elem by the spring.
Planning to event next year tho so going to hold off BD registration for now as can't afford both, might try a few of the BD prelims tho to see how we do against the more serious competitors!

Blakesmum2

Visit site
If you have the money and want to affiliate do it!

Who cares what scores you are getting at unaffiliated, most of the judges I came across couldn't judge the inside of a paper bag let alone a dressage test. There were one or two good ones though who were always encouraging and actually judged correctly but not many.

We get higher % at BD than we ever did unaffil
laugh.gif

Gamebird

Visit site
Go and have a go at open prelim without affiliating and see how you stand up to the competition. If you're holding your own then bite the bullet and join!

KatieOakeley

Visit site
Why don't you give the venue/s a ring and find out if they are likely to use BD Judges? At Crofton Manor we always aim to have BD judges for our unaff shows as I think it gives the riders a much better idea where they are and what needs to happen to improve. This will then give you a much better idea of when it is the right time for you to affiliate.

Good Luck.

AutumnRose

Visit site
I have just affiliated my mare. She has been doing well at unaff novice level for a few months now, generally getting about 65-70% and is now doing quite a bit of elem work at home.
I'm in kent too and the places we go mostly have good BD judges so i would hope to be able to keep up a similar standard but we'll see!!!
tongue.gif

I think the idea of going out to do an aff prelim 1st is a good oe, see how you get on....i never got round to that!!

star

Visit site
just go and do affiliated prelim as you dont need to pay anything to do them and competition will be stiffer than unaffiliated. i'm a member of BD anyway, but will be taking my youngster BD prelim as soon as he can keep all 4 feet in the arena - unaff is just a cheaper way of getting him used to venues and white boards. as soon as he can do the movements in the right place and not spend the whole test spooking he'll go affiliated so get better consistent judging. some unaffiliated prleim judging is diabolical. at the moment i dont need anyone to tell me quite how bad he's going though!