When to call it a day

{123756}

Visit site
Didn't know where to pop this one, here or vets corner

My mare has various problems along with recurring ulcers. She's 4 years old, will be 5 in Summer.

I've spent nearly £15k on her problems, £10k of that being covered by insurance and £6k of it just being used to control recurring grade 4 ulcers.

We were having a fabulous few weeks, and the past couple of days things are turning south again. Management wasn't bad before, however I'm certain I am doing absolutely everything I can to assist her in terms of management.

Im unsure how to proceed. The issues are predominantly in her back with arthritic joints. However, I have a niggling feeling there's something sinister going on in those legs.

Money is starting to run out, as well as my optimism. She's in no work being so young, has barely been started and has had nothing but the absolute best since I've had her as a yearling.

Do I get a second opinion, knowing everything is now coming out of my pocket even though I already am saying goodbuy to a few hundred pounds every payday on a payment plan with my current vets? Do I get her legs further investigated in hopes they find something that is the route cause to her problems that will start another 5k that I can rely on through insurance? Or do I sit back and realise I've been working on medical problems for the past 18-24 months with an exceptionally young horse who may never come 100% and I'm better off calling it a day?

My heart hurts, as much as my head does and no one seems to be able to give me a solid opinion. Vets have always been optimistic, however they seem to think resources are indefinite until she's 100% and unfortunately, that just isn't the case.

Spotherisk

Visit site
that is a long time, with a lot of heartache let alone the financial hit. What do you and your vet think is the best prognosis and would you happily settle for it?

SOS

Visit site
What’s your plan for her long term? If she’s struggling with soundness and arthritis at that age and you’re aiming for a ridden life it’s looking unlikely.

If you’re happy to have her as a pet is she pain free and sound enough? As im sure you know ulcers are normally secondary to other conditions including as a pain response. If yes still consider the financial impact of having a horse potentially for the next 5,10,20 years.

It sounds like she’s got a lot of issues to rack up that vet bill... I’ve known some lovely horses which have been taken far too young due to health issues that would never resolve but the owners never regretted their decision.

Shay

Visit site
She is terribly young for such problems. You are either going to have a long and very expensive retirement or PTS now. If she has arthritic changes now it isnt likey she will ever be ridden. Certianly not for long or at any level.

If it were me... I would PTS now. Whilst she is happy and cared for. If I had all the money in the world - and the land - I might try to retire her to grass - but who has that? Being realistic - arthitis at 5? Its kinder to put her down I'm afraid.

paddi22

Visit site
I agree with icbm. arthritis hurting a young horse would be enough for me to PTS. it sounds awful, but some horses just never have a healthy run and are money pits. it's awful, but you have to be realistic. I wouldn't even be happy retiring a horse that had bad arthritis. you would never know how much they were suffering when the weather changes. what a horrible situation for you to be in.

4faults

Visit site
I’m so sorry you’re in this position, i have been there and it hurts your heart to even think about it.
I had to make the decision to put my rising 7year old to sleep in January after more than 2 years and over 25000 for him to still be lame. I was faced with the reality that my beautiful, fun, healthy to look and ridiculously loving horse was in pain and would only get worse as time went on.
It was hard but I know I did right by him in the end.
If your horse has a degenerative condition and is struggling already at that age the kindest thing to do is PTS unfortunately

silv

Visit site
It's a horrid situation to be in, but it doesn't sound like your mare has a viable pain free future. I would PTS as soon as you are able and move on, difficult I know but keeping her is just prolonging the agony. I really feel for you, it all seems so unfair sometimes.

View

Visit site
Much as you adore her bones, it sounds as though she can't be "fixed". I've got arthritis in one joint, and that is miserable some days. I truly can't imagine the horror if this was my spine. She doesn't live for the future, she lives for the here and now.

Our final responsibility as owners is to recognise when we can't fix them and let them go peacefully. So sorry that you are having to face this, because it does hurt - but there is also relief because it is over and you have freed them from pain.

DD

Visit site
can you turn her out to grass for a year or 2? shes still growing and with prolonged rest and just grass and hay to eat living naturally she may well grow out of it all her body may repair itself if given that chance.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Gosh that’s awfully young to be feeling arthritic. She could go on for another 25 years being thoroughly uncomfortable. I’m not sure I’d be comfortably with that idea.

Do you mind sharing what breed and height she is?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Hi, so sorry you are having to go through this.

How do you get on with your vets ? I know Vets are not supposed to tell you what to do, but if you have a good relationship with them, you can often have that - if this was yours what would you be doing style of conversation.

Does she roll or lay down at all ?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I had to pts a 6 yr old Shire and I'm sorry to say that I would do the same for your mare. It is a horrible decision to have to make but sadly, it has to be taken in the best interests of the horse, who is in constant pain.

That must have been a horrid decision to have to make.

PTS is never a nice decision to make, sometimes it is obvious that that has to be done at that moment ie colic or a bad break and you just want to end the suffering at that moment and come away shell shocked, but its the when you know your horse and you know your horse is suffering and putting on a show, those are the ones that really get to you, especially if they are young.