When to Hunt??

C.C.T

Visit site
I would really love to go hunting with my girl Chailin who will be five this year but I'm not sure at what age or level in her training would be safe. She can jump one meter and our goal for the Summer is to jump one meter ten. She happily hacks alone and in company and has never done anything bad ever, although she does through in a few wee bucks when she gets excited. She is not at all strong and has never ran away with me even if all the other horses bomb off and she always stays at the pace I want her too. She loves jumping so jumps pretty much anything and has started jumping small cross country fences although won't see a real course until Summer . She's ridden in a snaffle and in general a really safe and lovely horse to ride but I have heard of horses having accidents and that they get very strong and uncontrollable and I would not like to put her in a stronger bit. Any reply or suggestions would be much appreciated thanks.:)xx

Suzie G

Visit site
This seasons hunts have nearly finished with only 1 or 2 weeks left if any. Your best bet is to get out and about this summer, xc, to the beach if poss or anywhere riding in open countryside.

Hunting can be fun but some horses do get a bit excited when there are 50 to 100 others all galloping off or even just at the start!

Cubbing starts in around September/October and that's usually a little quieter with more standing around in just a few fields or even find out where your local hunt trains their hounds and ask if you can go out them as there are usually only a few horses on them trips.

Hope this helps.

monkeybum13

Visit site
As Suzie says, this season is nearly over :(

Over the summer get hacking in company and large ish groups is possible, practise standing and leaving others if you can then you will be well prepared for autumn hunting :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Lots of hunts do 'novice' meets at the start of the season (autumn) where they have a novice master specifically to look after people that haven't been before - might be a good idea. And if you can go mid week first time when there will be less people out.

Kelly Marks

Visit site
I had a friend who went hunting (well blood hounding) and she got me on the right track. As people said above but just be brave and ring the master and ask if you can go on a hound exercise next August/September. If not I'm sure he/she will still be willing to give you good advice on where and how to start off.
Good Luck - Harry and I loved it!

Faerie

Visit site
This seasons hunts have nearly finished with only 1 or 2 weeks left if any. Your best bet is to get out and about this summer, xc, to the beach if poss or anywhere riding in open countryside.

Hunting can be fun but some horses do get a bit excited when there are 50 to 100 others all galloping off or even just at the start!

Cubbing starts in around September/October and that's usually a little quieter with more standing around in just a few fields or even find out where your local hunt trains their hounds and ask if you can go out them as there are usually only a few horses on them trips.

Hope this helps.

^^ this

if you can, cubbing is a really good way to introduce them

maree t

Visit site
My guys started off by going cubbing. It was perfect start for them and mid week was quiet so they could learn the ropes. My sons pony overcooked a bit the first time but has settled in and loves it .
Have a go in the autumn, perhaps try a couple of sponsored rides ?

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I agree, wait for next season and take her cubbing as much as possible. You will both learn a lot, there is a lot of standing around which is good for a young horse or newby.