When to worm/wormcount

Landcruiser

Visit site
My lot were last wormed at the end of March and I'm needing to do them. Planning to wormcount first and equisal tapeworm test- but is it too early to pick up the "autumn" target species? Would it be better to wait a few weeks? When does "Autumn" start with regards to worming regime? I guess I'm too late for "summer"?

HorsesRule2009

Visit site
I work at a vets and we don't normally get the Equisal testing kits in till late September October, so I'd say to early for that. I would probably just do a standard FWEC now

Reactions: TPO

SEL

Visit site
I've just done equisal and glad I did - all positive and Baby Cob rocking a high test. Wormed with a DD of strongid P in Feb.

Apparently our warm, wet weather has been ideal for parasites.

I thought he was a bit off colour and his coat was dull but still not expecting a positive result given I'm on top of poo picking and have a closed herd.

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
Ideally, FEC and saliva test in March/April

If there's a count worm with what is needed to target whatever type of worm it is. Then count a week later to check its worked

If clear on the counts/after treatment, if required, FEC every 8-12wks.

Saliva test for tape in autumn again. So saliva tests every 6 months.

Worm for encysted red in winter once there's been a run of cold days/hard frosts is my rule of thumb. That's been getting later and later with these mild winters.

This regime (along with poo picking) has meant I only have to worm once a year so helps keep wormer resistance at bay too.

Last edited:

Borderreiver

Visit site
I would say you are a bit overdue for a worm count so that definitely needs doing. If you haven’t tested or treated for tapeworm in the last six months then it’s also time for an Equisal. There is absolutely no need to wait for ‘autumn’. Message or email Westgate labs and you will soon have the correct info and help. It’s also all on their website.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Westgate also do a subscription service where they send you the right kits at right times of the year and then tell you what wormer you need , if any.