When was the last time you replaced your hat?

hcm88

Visit site
And what was it due to? (Old age/heavy fall/etc)

Curious as to what the general trend is, and whether or not people really do replace after every fall like we're advised to. And also whether this changes depending on what discipline you do.

Capriole

Visit site
last summer. Replaced my jockey skull and my velvet hat. I replace them quite frequently, around 2 years. Hadnt fallen on or dropped either of them. I keep them in padded hat bags as well.

ghostie

Visit site
I have just ordered a new hat after realising mine is 12 years old :eek: TBF (touch wood) i haven't fallen off on it and i didn't ride a great deal for a lot of that tine, but I think safety standards have probaby improved since then.

cassie summers

Visit site
my hat is very old about 12 years so i am going to get a new one at end of month anyway smells funny since my horse dropped it in her water bucket :)

charlimouse

Visit site
My everyday/XC sKull yearly, although sometiime it doesn't last that long, as I have a tendancy to fall off and land on my head! My smart competition only hat every 4 years, or sooner if I have a fall onto it!

Beatrice5

Visit site
My hat is my brothers cast off and approx 10 years old. No falls, bangs or damage but I am desperate to replce just need to find a decent tack shop with a variety for me to try on as I have an odd shaped narrow but long head and it's a nightmare to find hats to fit :(

Went to Mole valley today and such a poor selection :(
Tried mail order spent a fortune sending them back as none fitted :(

Ollie's Mum

Visit site
Literally waiting for Derby House to deliver me a new one now. I feel my current one doesn't fit well any more. I did dump one 2 years ago after being bounced on my head - literally saved my life so it's something I consider very important.

liannexsx

Visit site
My hat is around 15 years old! I got it as the sj2000 was fashion at the time. I can't remember falling off in it. Although I've not rode an awful lot in the last 10 years. I will replace it for getting on youngster this year as straps loosen too easy

Theocat

Visit site
Replaced mine last autumn - old one was probably eight years old at least, and I had had a couple of falls in it, but finally changed it because the padding had got so old and compressed it was rock hard and there was a gap up each side of my head big enough to fit three fingers in, and the hat would rock from side to side.

Should have replaced it far, far earlier - just never got around to it until I had a horse of my own and was riding enough to really think about it!

PandorasJar

Visit site
Mine was my grans :eek:
It was such a good fit that I'm loath to get rid although I know I should.

This will change soon as will be backing my youngster this year and will have a new hat for that!!!

Pan

clevelandbay

Visit site
I replaced mine last January after a nasty fall when it took a bang to the side and then a bang to the back (giving me a lovely bit of whiplash). I know it's daft but wouldn't think to replace it otherwise.

swillymaid

Visit site
Got 'ejected' yesterday by my very naughy horse and landed head first on the road.
I replaced my hat around 12 months ago as I went to Badders and tried a whole heap on so it wasn't very old.
The hat I was wearing now has a massive crack down the side which I think probably saved me from a really bad accident - it was a Champion Ventair Deluxe.
So I'm now hat shopping again and although I would happily buy the same I would like to try on a PROtector and a HS1 which both have the new SNELL standard which is supposed to be best.
I live in Devon and there are no shops that have a range to try so it's difficult!!

Anyway, apart from some whiplash and a sore face and shoulder, I'm in one piece thanks to my brilliant skull cap :)

Celestica

Visit site
Got mine August 2010, had several falls since then but have gotten up and straight back on so nothing life threatening. Before this helmet I hadn't gotten a hat for 6 years and it was extremely ill fitting :eek: . I do regularly check my hat my squeezing the sides listening for any cracking noises though, if I do a lot of outdoor riding or xc this summer then I will buy my own skull instead of using the schools. Used a schools one in 2010 and had a bad fall in xc and it's scary to think people still use that helmet if it isn't gone :O

EquiGal92

Visit site
Last year - I fell off and always got a headache wearing my hat everytime afterwards and I brought myself a very nice ventilated one for a change from the jockey skulls :D

Janette

Visit site
About 18 months ago, simply because it was 5 years since I bought it, and it was well used, and had had a couple of drops.

I also replaced my showing hat, which certainly hasn't had any drops of bangs, but it was 6 years old and the shock absorbing material can start to degrade - or so I'm told.....

rhino

Visit site
Current one about 2 1/2 years, I try and make myself buy a new one every 2 - 3 years although I haven't fallen off in a very long time and I do try and look after/store them as well as possible :)

Echo24

Visit site
I replaced my last one when I had a fall, banged it against the indoor school wall and it had a nice big scrape on it! My current one is 3 years old but desperately needs replacing when I have the money, as I pop it in the back seat of in my car on the way to the yard and when I've open my car door to get it, it often falls out!

mandwhy

Visit site
Mine is about 10 years old although only used during about 5 years of lessons and part loans, it says 'junior jockey skull' inside it so now I want a new one that says 'grown up riding hat' :) I have never hit my head on anything but still want a new one as think it is about time! Would quite like one that looks a bit less like a potty :)

Wiz201

Visit site
I had an old skull cap bought about 15 years ago which I decided to replace this year as I don't seem to find skull caps comfy anymore. Bought a velvet harry hall legend riding hat because that seemed more comfortable and it had a peak for the sun.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Last summer actually....I have 4 in all! My everyday one, a skull cap for X-country, and a black velvet classic one and a blue velvet classic hat...

OH, and a posh red endurance hat OH bought me! Cost lots, that did...

I had a silver one which went all over the word with me, but was seriously getting old, so it's gone to the Great Hat Store in the sky... :(

Kitty B

Visit site
I had to replace mine after a Thoroughbred decided to show me what it was like to race. Following a sharp turn toward home, we had somewhat of a disagreement on which direction to take, and so we parted ways. I landed on my back, rolled a bit and bounced on my head. I had never loved a hat so much in my life, even if it was declared DOA following my ill advised attempt to fly. I'd had the hat for longer than I probably should have, and now aim to change it every couple years at least just to be sure, and immediately if I've landed on my noggin. After all, I do so like to land on my head when I fall! :rolleyes:

zaminda

Visit site
I have 2. A skull for work, which was replaced when I ended up in hospital in Jan, it was a year old, and I tend to replace it every year/18 months, or if I land on my head. I have a troxel for riding mine, which I tend to replace every other season, as I haven't come off either of my girls in a while. (touching wood frantically!)
I'm a big believer in reguarlaly changing hats, as so much can happen to them, unless you keep them in a padded bag, and it drove me mad when we ran a tack shop how many people wouldn't replace them after a bad fall, or would come in, try all ours on, then buy one online! And we weren't expensive.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Mine was replaced about 2 1/2 years ago after I entered a ploughing match using just my face and head. My previous hat was also a 'potty like' Charles Owen Junior, about 7 or 8 years old and to be honest not very comfy. I spent a bit more this time and its so nice not to have a headache and a big red mark across my forhead when I take it off.