When would you expect livery yards to reopen

Ozbride

Visit site
Hi
My livery yard is closed and I haven't seen my ponies since 15th of March. When would you expect livery yards to open again? This is a small yard with only 3 liveries. The yard owner lives on site with their family, none of which are especially vulnerable. I saw a suggested 3 stage plan for the UK online but can't seem to add the screenshot to this post.

Basically 11th may for hairdressers and none essential shops, 18th May for businesses under 50 people and 23rd June for pubs and gyms.

What's your opinion on when yards should open?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Hi
My livery yard is closed and I haven't seen my ponies since 15th of March. When would you expect livery yards to open again? This is a small yard with only 3 liveries. The yard owner lives on site with their family, none of which are especially vulnerable. I saw a suggested 3 stage plan for the UK online but can't seem to add the screenshot to this post.

Basically 11th may for hairdressers and none essential shops, 18th May for businesses under 50 people and 23rd June for pubs and gyms.

What's your opinion on when yards should open?
I think your yard owner would be best to advise you.
Did it close prior to lockdown?

Ozbride

Visit site
I think your yard owner would be best to advise you.
Did it close prior to lockdown?
No, I had a cough so self isolated for a couple.of weeks. We haven't had any communication about when the yard might open again, I'm hoping to be able to ask when the plan is outlined by Boris on Sunday. I would just like to know what to expect.

SEH

Visit site
Most small livery yards I know of have done a 'slot' system where you can only go at a certain time when the yard is empty. I think closing the yard with only 3 horses is a bold move but I guess they think it will be easier not having to worry about who has touched what and when.

Bigger yards have closed as it is a lot harder to regulate people ect, but not seeing your horse for over 6 weeks is awful. A lot of people I know moved their horses to yards that were going to stay open before lockdown, which probably wasn't the safest thing but needs must for some. Are you getting regular updates on their wellbeing ect? I hope so!

Ozbride

Visit site
Most small livery yards I know of have done a 'slot' system where you can only go at a certain time when the yard is empty. I think closing the yard with only 3 horses is a bold move but I guess they think it will be easier not having to worry about who has touched what and when.

Bigger yards have closed as it is a lot harder to regulate people ect, but not seeing your horse for over 6 weeks is awful. A lot of people I know moved their horses to yards that were going to stay open before lockdown, which probably wasn't the safest thing but needs must for some. Are you getting regular updates on their wellbeing ect? I hope so!
Not really, I've been sent 3 pictures, but that is it. To be honest communication isn't his strength and I think that is the issue. We were never actually told that the yard was closing. I had a cough so self isolated for a couple of weeks. Then I came up to leave off some shavings and gave the ponies a groom. I got a text that night from him asking me to stay away. The thing is that there are pictures of non essential work being done to the yard by outsiders on Facebook. I kind of feel like the yard owner is just enjoying the peace and so not letting us up. I just want to know that there is some thought behind when we come back. That is why I want to text when the UK plan is released so that I can see when we would be allowed back. To be honest if it was the same time as pubs opening I would struggle with that decision.

Frano

Visit site
Do think a lot of yard owners were rubbing their hands together and adding up the pennies. I can’t see why owners could not see their horses. I know someyards had a rota system. But I know people who were forced into full livery which caused financial problems. Obviously if yard owners were vulnerable special arrangements would be needed.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
You've been very unlucky, but YOs have the final say really. Our 60 horse yard has carried on pretty much as normal. The YO just asked people not to hang around chatting and everyone has been very responsible. I think that if the yard had closed down, I would have moved my horse temporarily or permanently.

Ozbride

Visit site
I think if you don't get a sensible answer by Sunday/Monday I would be looking to move yards. Not keeping you in touch with what is happening and how your horse is is simply not acceptable.
Yes I just think there should be a considered plan and not just when he feels like having me around again.

be positive

Visit site
I have a small yard and am in the high risk group, I just put in place some restrictions, the horses were all turned out to make everything easier for me to do them each day and I asked to be told when they were coming to ride, I saw no reason to stop them coming unless they were symptomatic or in contact with someone who was in which case they were putting me more at risk but I trust them to do the right thing and stay away without needing to be told.
They have ridden almost as much as normal, 1 is furloughed so is coming in the morning the other is front line working shifts so is in need of her down time spent with her horse.

Kat

Visit site
None of us can give you any clue because there is no law that requires yards to close, so there will be no legal date when they can reopen. It was your yard owners decision to close and it will be up to him when he reopens.

Many yards panicked and put in place rules that were beyond the requirements of the UK lockdown.

I'm on a fairly big yard (over 20 horses) and it has remained open with some extra rules in place to reduce the risk. My YO took professional advice before making a decision. Some people have stayed away by choice or have visited their horse in the field rather than on the yard to further reduce risks but many of us are riding as usual and we all have the option to visit daily if we wish.

May I ask, are you usually on full livery? If not are you paying extra?

In your shoes, especially given the lack of communication I would be very unhappy and would be looking at moving.

Ozbride

Visit site
o_O
None of us can give you any clue because there is no law that requires yards to close, so there will be no legal date when they can reopen. It was your yard owners decision to close and it will be up to him when he reopens.

Many yards panicked and put in place rules that were beyond the requirements of the UK lockdown.

I'm on a fairly big yard (over 20 horses) and it has remained open with some extra rules in place to reduce the risk. My YO took professional advice before making a decision. Some people have stayed away by choice or have visited their horse in the field rather than on the yard to further reduce risks but many of us are riding as usual and we all have the option to visit daily if we wish.

May I ask, are you usually on full livery? If not are you paying extra?

In your shoes, especially given the lack of communication I would be very unhappy and would be looking at moving.
No we are DIY and the horses have all been put out 24/7 but not being charged any extra.

I am the only one who rides at the yard and to be honest before all this I sometimes got the feeling that I was intruding in their home when I came up. So while I can understand that he wanted to lockdown I'm also cautious of the fact that he probably quite likes me not being around and could use lockdown as a bit of an excuse.

I mean it would be reasonable to think that when golf courses are open then I should really be able to go back? If not then I would think about moving.

Mrs C

Visit site
I'm on a small yard with 3 others. Our yard owner has just left us and we've been sensible between us turning horses out and messaging to say when we're off and checking if anyone wants theirs seeing to at the same time. I know of bigger yards which did close however have put rotas in place to reopen, even if it's just one visit a week x

J&S

Visit site
It is all so haphazard, one rule here and another rule there. My farrier came at the end of last week, and although I left him to it to keep the distance I did ask him on his way out how he was finding things. We are in a very rural part of Devon and he also works in Cornwall. He said some customers are actually riding more (furloughed/more time) and some yards are only allowing the farrier and the vet to enter. I would suggest, if you cannot get a reasonable answer from your YO that you should consider moving to a yard with a more organised system that would suit you better.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
My partner and i took the government test on Friday, the courier collected it on Saturday morning and the results were texted to.my partner tonight to say we are both negative.

He's over 65 and I'm classed as someone who can't work from home so we were able to obtain the tests. The goverment are being called on to class construction workers as essential workers as the test is also for any essential workers. Partner sorted it all out so not too sure of the ins and outs. Assume it tests for that moment in time like an MOT or vetting.

Guess its good news for our yard if we all have contact with the same taps, door handles etc as it proves no one's passed anything to me at the yard lol.

We are sensible when we do the supermarket shop and don masks and gloves and take our temp three times a day.

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
o_O

No we are DIY and the horses have all been put out 24/7 but not being charged any extra.

I am the only one who rides at the yard and to be honest before all this I sometimes got the feeling that I was intruding in their home when I came up. So while I can understand that he wanted to lockdown I'm also cautious of the fact that he probably quite likes me not being around and could use lockdown as a bit of an excuse.

I mean it would be reasonable to think that when golf courses are open then I should really be able to go back? If not then I would think about moving.

So who is looking after your horse?

Is the YO horsey and capable?

If they are out 24/7 can you get to the field without going on the yard? From a road or footpath? If so I would visit asap. If not I would tell him that you are visiting your horse but you won't enter any buildings, won't approach anyone, will sanitize anything you touch and will spend as little time as possible but you need to see your horse (if possible think of a good reason such as giving a wormer or taking a worm count sample).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My partner and i took the government test on Friday, the courier collected it on Saturday morning and the results were texted to.my partner tonight to say we are both negative.

He's over 65 and I'm classed as someone who can't work from home so we were able to obtain the tests.

Why did you take the tests HB?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I'm hoping that the Government announces on Thursday that cerain restrictions may be lifted. I'm hoping that the YO might let those who want to ride have an extra 30m. I was gutted tonight not to be able to sit on my horse for 20 mins as it was such a lovely evening but I'd been messing about waiting for the hay man delivering hay and clearing space and poo picking paddock as well as mucking out, etc so sadly didn't have time as we are 1.5 hrs timeslots. An extra 30 mins would give me time to cool off horse or dry if we get rained on b4 i have to go home also.

be positive

Visit site

I thought they were only for people with symptoms but guess that there are not enough symptomatic people eligible for the 100k tests available each day so will be open to others if they want them, I don't see the point in having one done as they only prove you are negative at that time, a day later you could be positive and be passing the virus on because you believe you are safer than someone that has not been tested. It defeats the purpose if they are done just to get the numbers up.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site

Partner works 3 days per week on two different yards. I am expecting to be called into work maybe as early as next week and as he was ordering a test for himself he got one for me. They seemed happy enough for us to do it when he explained the situation. We were 2 of 120,000 people who were tested on Friday.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I thought they were only for people with symptoms but guess that there are not enough symptomatic people eligible for the 100k tests available each day so will be open to others if they want them, I don't see the point in having one done as they only prove you are negative at that time, a day later you could be positive and be passing the virus on because you believe you are safer than someone that has not been tested. It defeats the purpose if they are done just to get the numbers up.

Exactly what I thought BP.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
o_O

I only know this because I happen to work with a lot of golf enthusiasts, but apparently some golf clubs have already opened up in the last week or so. You're only allowed to play with household members as part of your 'daily exercise' and there is a limit to the amount of holes you can play and obviously the clubhouses are closed, but where there's a will and all that.

I think you're going to have to ask your YO outright tbh...it sounds like he's being a tad unreasonable