When would you expect to pay for a horse.

ApolloStorm

Visit site
I viewed a horse today which I am pretty sure I want to buy, I am going to try the horse again on wednesday, but I wouldn't be able to get the transport til Friday. I paid a deposit to hold the horse, to which the owner said " congrats *name* is yours til wednesday" would you expect to pay for the horse the day you collect it or when I try it for the second time?
I really like this horse!

be positive

Visit site
Are you not planning on vetting it? I would expect payment on collection and as they have a deposit that should keep him until then, if you change your mind that should be returned, I rarely take a deposit, I will hold a horse for a second trial and vetting but expect collection ASAP after vetting with full payment by cash or bank transfer.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
We sold a horse 6 weeks ago, was tried on the Saturday, went to a competition with prospective new owner the Sunday, and was vetted the Tuesday, then Tuesday night deposit paid and it was collected and paid for few days later.. With mobile banking these days, it's easy to pay there and then when collecting the horse.. Of course the new owner was known to me though.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Paid deposit for mine on a saturday, on weds he was vetted then next sat I picked him up and paid remainder of the balance.

nato

Visit site
I only pay a deposit when I'm sure I'm taking a horse, it's to hold him/her until it's vetted. I pay in full on collection - they don't get money until I get the horse :)

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Id pay on day of collection - if you pay before hand there is a grey area if the horse is injured in their care but owned by you.

concorde

Visit site
I would expect to pay when I collect the horse.
Otherwise they have my money and the horse !
They already have your deposit.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Went to see my new one last Saturday, left just under 20% deposit...did a bank transfer on the sunday evening (due to bank holiday I couldn't get the cash out) owner/breeder delivered her on the Monday :) Usually I would pay the balance on collection, had I been more organised and had the cash that's how I would have managed it.

Hexx

Visit site
I saw mine on a Saturday - went to the pub to think about it and then rang the owner to say yes, I would have him. I didn't pay a deposit but posted a cheque on Monday and they agreed to not cash the cheque until the vetting was passed. He was vetted on the Tuesday and I collected him on Friday when the cheque had cleared (I paid extra for the cheque to go through on fast track) - this was in the days before internet banking.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Had mine vetted, met the owner after the vet passed him, paid by cheque, the owner knew my yo, so there was no waiting for the cheque clearing.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
If you have left a deposit already then you have shown ' intent to purchase', so how can you be trying him again? If you change your mind on Wednesday they would be entitled to keep your deposit.
I would usually expect to pay the deposit when I have decided to buy, and the balance on pick up/ delivery.

be positive

Visit site
If you have left a deposit already then you have shown ' intent to purchase', so how can you be trying him again? If you change your mind on Wednesday they would be entitled to keep your deposit.
I would usually expect to pay the deposit when I have decided to buy, and the balance on pick up/ delivery.

The deposit can be left before a second try as long as the wording states the reason for doing so many people want to do something different on the second viewing such as hack properly which there may not have been time to do the first time or go to a venue to jump, if it then fails to perform as expected the deposit should be returned, although it is unusual to leave one at this stage there can still be grounds to pull out and get it returned, the horse may not even be sound at the second visit.

If the OP just decides to pull out with the horse doing nothing wrong then they could hold the deposit.

Micropony

Visit site
I was buying from my YO so possibly slightly different as it wasn't a question of collecting him, just leading him round the corner to my stable. Tried him, liked him, said I wanted him subject to vetting, which happened a couple of days later. As soon as the vetting was complete I was straight down the bank to withdraw the cash and then straight on the phone to sort out his insurance!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I've only ever paid a deposit once I've put them through their paces and know I want them subject to vetting. Had Elvis passed his vetting I would have paid immediately and collected the next day.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I too have only paid a deposit subject to vetting (not for a second viewing).

In this case, horse was vetted, I handed over the cash and took it home immediately afterwards.

Kacey88

Visit site
I too have only paid a deposit subject to vetting (not for a second viewing).

In this case, horse was vetted, I handed over the cash and took it home immediately afterwards.

Excuse my ignorance here, so usually if you get a horse vetted you pay deposit before and if he fails the vetting do you get your deposit back?

LittleGinger

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance here, so usually if you get a horse vetted you pay deposit before and if he fails the vetting do you get your deposit back?

Ordinarily, yes - just make it clear to vendor when you discuss purchase price and deposit that you are leaving deposit 'subject to vetting'. I've done this twice and both times owners just gave me the cash for my deposit back there and then at the end of the vetting.

Following a more successful vetting, I would pay cash on collection and obtain a receipt. I once completed a bank transfer before leaving home to collect horse as I thought it would be good to have a paper trail given the price of the horse. I drove five hours in lorry to collect her, and arrived at empty yard. Had "slight" panic that I'd totally been had and lost thousands of pounds, before it transpired the yard owner was on holiday and the horse's owner's husband was just late arriving at yard to meet me. All was fine - but it did make me realise I'd been a bit daft to transfer money electronically so willingly!

Kacey88

Visit site
Ordinarily, yes - just make it clear to vendor when you discuss purchase price and deposit that you are leaving deposit 'subject to vetting'. I've done this twice and both times owners just gave me the cash for my deposit back there and then at the end of the vetting.

Following a more successful vetting, I would pay cash on collection and obtain a receipt. I once completed a bank transfer before leaving home to collect horse as I thought it would be good to have a paper trail given the price of the horse. I drove five hours in lorry to collect her, and arrived at empty yard. Had "slight" panic that I'd totally been had and lost thousands of pounds, before it transpired the yard owner was on holiday and the horse's owner's husband was just late arriving at yard to meet me. All was fine - but it did make me realise I'd been a bit daft to transfer money electronically so willingly!

Oh ok thanks for that. I was holding my breath there reading that bet you were so relieved! What if you are getting a third party to collect the horse? How would you pay then?

Enfys

Visit site
I pay on collection, always in cash, and frequently I have taken the trailer to the viewing anyway if it over half an hour away.

But, therein lies another can of worms, do you pay before the horse gets on the trailer/lorry or when it is on?

I worked on a dealers yard once and a buyer paid, then the blasted horse wouldn't load, so after an hour he demanded his money back unless we could prove that he did, in fact, load, we promptly loaded the horse in our lorry - no hassle - and delivered the horse ourselves. That horse just hated their lorry.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh ok thanks for that. I was holding my breath there reading that bet you were so relieved! What if you are getting a third party to collect the horse? How would you pay then?

You either give the money to the third party to hand over when the have the horse, or they phone you when the horse is on board and you do a bank transfer before they drive away.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Pay deposit subject to vetting and then balance on collection (or if delivered, to transporter - if agreed with vendor).

Bernster

Visit site
I don't think there's anything wrong necessarily with putting down a deposit after first viewing, subject to second viewing (and vet). It's not usual though. I've tended to do 2 viewings, if I like the horse then I send a deposit, subject to vetting. If it passes the vet, I've generally paid via BACS and collected same day or shortly after (there is a bit of risk in not collecting and paying at the same time but logistics often mean that's not possible and I've trusted the sellers). I've paid by bankers draft once.

You could get a bankers draft or cash, but you may need to arrange that a few days beforehand with your bank. That probably is safer.

Damnation

Visit site
This is how it went with my mare.

I viewed her twice. After 2nd viewing went home to think about it (Has just lost my own mare) and decided to go for it. I rang the lady that night and said I wanted to buy her subject to vetting. I got the lady's bank details and paid a deposit via instant bank transfer.

She was vetted, passed, paid the rest of the money over at the yard when I arrived to collect her again via bank transfer and got a receipt of sale from the old owner after I showed her the money had gone through and was in her account.

I love mobile banking..

ribbons

Visit site
This is how we do it.
Horse is still available for sale until deposit paid subject to vetting. Once vetted I expect customer to either pay balance or walk away (deposit returned if vetting problem, retained if simply a change of mind)
Once balance paid, horse is kept free of charge for 24 hours before collection, then daily livery is chargeable, new owner should take out insurance from day of purchase to cover any accidents.
All the above is in writing and registration docs/signed transfer papers etc handed to new owner at time of payment.
Safe, simple and fair to all.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
I've always paid on collection.
I was lucky with my current horse that I knew of the person that was selling her, so I didn't need to leave a deposit to secure her before the vetting.

She passed the vet on a Wednesday and was delivered on the Saturday, I paid them in cash when she was unloaded :)

MDB

Visit site
I have previously paid a deposit on viewing, then the complete amount in cash when the horse has been delivered to the driver / owner. Edit to add that I have never had a vetting done.