When you loan out your horse/pony.......

Honeypots

Visit site
..... do you insure it or is that up to the loanee (is that a word?)..or, is it just case of making up your own rules and someone agreeing or not?
I'm thinking (if I can persuade daughter its a good idea), to loan out her pony. She's out doing nothing and will be all winter as daughter wants to ride my cobbie more and more.

JAK

Visit site
As reasonably experienced 'loanees' of ponies, we have done both, i.e. taken out the insurance & paid for it ourselves & also, left it in the hands of the (reliable!) owners.
I prefer the former though & have also made sure that MD is insured in her own right on a rider policy.

Cobland

Visit site
Im going with the loan agreement on the BHS website, after reading it, it says that the borrower is responsible for insuring the horse. However mine are staying at the yard and i have yard insurance that covers all mine.

Honeypots

Visit site
Oo..thanks, will go look at BHS loan agreement.
smile.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I keep my boy insured and the loaners have a standing order into my account set up every month to pay me back for it. The insurance is in my name but I have let the insurance company know he's out on loan and where he is.

Same as for the mare I have on loan - owner keeps up the insurance and I pay her back monthly. It's in my contract for the mare and the one I drew up for my b oy.