When you lose your horse to EGS what do you do

Sukistokes2

Visit site
So very sorry, what a terrible thing to happen. My heart goes out to you, there are no words that will make you feel better but I do hope you take some comfort from the posts on this thread.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm so sorry for you, FW. I honestly don't know either, but it really isn't fair :(

Last edited:

MochaDun

Visit site
I am so very very sorry to read your post. Remember seeing your post and images of her what seemed like just a few weeks ago and thought how lovely she was and how well she was doing. How devastating for you. I met a lady in Perthshire a few years ago who had lost a Highland to it and it took her some time before she felt brave enough to take on another one but she did and was one she adored and I pray she has not lost her too in the intervening years as she was in an EGS hotspot too. I can't imagine what it is like when the very stuff that nourishes them can take their life so horribly.

Moya_999

Visit site
OMG FW

I am so sorry to hear your beautiful girl has gone over the rainbow - tragic to say the least, words cannot express how sad this is.

Vibes sent xxx

Bigbenji

Visit site
There are no words :(
Cruel way to loose a horse you love.

You must be in complete shock right now. Try and take comfort in the memories you shared.

sarahann1

Visit site
Very sorry for your loss, I think you keep yours not too far from mine, this is a really high instance area, it was first discovered nr Barry Buddon.

There doesn't seem to any rhyme or reason for it being so prevelant round this way :(

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I normally just read and run on sad threads but this touched my heart. I'm so so sorry to hear that your beautiful girl is gone. I guess all you can do is keep going for the others you have and remember her at her best
Hope it gets better soon xxx

charlie76

Visit site
I'm so sorry. I am constantly worrying about grass sickness and AM, its so terrible. What can you do? If you don't turn them out something else will harm them and its no life being stuck in 24/7.
There seems to be so much more danger in turning out these days.
They say that earth being disturbed can cause it, I worry about mole hills in my field!
I've taken to only giving half day turn out.

Jnhuk

Visit site
Hugs. What a lovely mare and in her prime but life is so unfair.

Living in Scotland, you realise how devastating and distressing EGS can be from word of mouth rather than reading about it in the horsey news.

I hope that in the following days that you will find some comfort and let the other horses help you heal your heart.

I support the EGS Fund and our RC makes an annual donation to them from shows, fun rides etc.... I hope that they could give you some advice about what to do with the others to try and reduce their risk as that must be preying on your mind after you lost your first horse to this horrid horrid disease. I just wish they could find the cause of it so we could work on preventing it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Oh FW, I'm so sorry to read this. What a shock for you.

Fingers crossed that a vaccine isn't too far away, so that at least you and others in the area will be able to protect your ponies in the future.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I've been thinking about you and also thinking about your big dilemma too since yesterday and I really don't know what I'd do. My initial reaction would be to close down all the pasture fields in service at the moment and switch the horses on to the hay fields instead.

I couldn't believe the speed at which everything happened for Hallie; I've never dealt with EGS (thankfully) but I hadn't realised it was so quick until reading your updates. I'm so terribly sorry and really I have no logical suggestions as I just don't know enough about EGS.

be positive

Visit site
So sorry to read this, I remember when you lost the little one to it, to lose a second is heartbreaking especially such a promising young pony that you had high hopes for, I have no idea what you can do in a practical way you cannot shut them in 24/7 however much you feel you want to.
I didn't know a vaccine was in the pipeline, I thought they still were unsure of definitive cause, it is not prevalent in my area so is something I fortunately have no first hand experience of but hope the vaccine can be developed to prevent more horses dying of such a horrid condition that seems to come out of nowhere and take hold so quickly.

suffolkmare

Visit site
I read with trepidation...how tragic for you. Words are not enough to convey how sad I am for your loss. She was a gorgeous girl and I know you will eventually look back with fond memories of happier times, but the shock and pain must be immense right now. So sorry I can't offer any advice on the dilemma of the other ponies, but maybe some of the more knowledgeable folk here can come up with something. Hugs, and RIP beautiful mare :(