When you must exercise all attempts to ignore your gut

P3LH

Visit site
Firstly apologies - all my posts on here end up with typos, the curse of Apple predictive text!!

Like the rest of the country my head is in a spin after the last week. Like the rest of the education professional I am on my knees and ready for a breakdown already after the last week. So a pet related crisis was of course needed right now!

Over the Christmas break I noticed my eldest rough collie, recently turned 10 in November, just not quite himself. Nothing significant and to be honest I put it down to just getting older. Just quieter.

Like many of his breed he’s always had dental problems. Some roughs have really ba dental issues as have these strange little teeth for a dog of their size that go wonky or generally cause issues. Despite brushing and bones his teeth are terrible. He now eats wet food only after. A lifetime on dry as he found it too hard to crunch.

This morning I noticed his cheek looked a bit puffy. He didn’t seem bothered at all. I’ve had a look and there’s quite a pronounced inflamed part of his mouth, along the jaw bone and on a bit of roof of mouth. There is, as far as I can see, no abscess. There’s not a lump per say but it looks unusual.

It will be a vets visit tomorrow, wel as soon as they can get us in given the climate. I am quite concerned. Can’t put my finger on why but have a terrible feeling.
Not looking for online vet advice don’t worry, but has anyone else experienced anything similar before?

he is ten years 2 months, intact male, healthy weight, still eating though sometimes a bit faddy, still bright eyed and happy in himself, still enjoying walks.

Had a strange episode of a few days of the runs, mainly water and then bright yellow, in the week after Christmas. Lasted two days but got better when starved and then chicken and rice. Been fine since.

can’t think if there’s any other relevant info. I am obviously fearing oral tumour/mouth cancer as a friend lost two dobes with it a few years ago and this was how they started. Fingers crossed im jumping the gun.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I hope your fears are unfounded.

Tbh, I think almost anybody with a middle-aged-to-elderly dog gets that sinking feeling when they need an unscheduled vet visit. I think all you can do is prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

I also think that when we are under great stress, such as education professionals are atm, any even tiny, extra problem assumes massive proportions in our minds, so it's not surprising that you are worried today.

quizzie

Visit site
From your description, the most like thing is a malar (or carnassial tooth) root abscess...usually no external sign of pus, unless it breaks through the bone under the eye(TMI ??)
Treatment with antibiotics might be enough, but most need extraction of the offending tooth.

Yes there are other less treatable possibilties, but these malar abscesses are really common..don't panic!!

P3LH

Visit site
Thank you. I think it’s probably more of ‘oh’ moment for two reasons:
A) all my previous dogs have been smaller breeds where the life expectancy is quite lengthy. 10 for a rough like most larger breeds is ‘getting on’ a bit and I haven’t ever seen him as old until the last few weeks.
B) he’s always been in rude health and has only two vet visits

Bellasophia

Visit site
Good luck Luke and try not to worry..he sounds a healthy boy so hopefully he may only need a scaling..
if you want to do something for him tonight,try soaking a cotton ball in warm water with some salt( or camomile tea) in..then gently hold it on the inflamed area if he will let you...it will help to disinfect and maybe draw out any infection..
I’ve never used a toothbrush on my dogs,but I often put some dental pet spray on to a damp cotton pad and rub it on any tooth that looks like it’s getting tartar...I do this for a week and find I can pick off the tartar with a dental pick...mine are very good at accepting this,it’s a gentle way to keep on top of the teeth issues.

SaharaS

Visit site
If it helps, my Rough Collie lived to 16...He was also entire and a fabulous dog..also with failing teeth later in life..I am hoping for you that it is a mild and easily fixable blip..sending rough fixing vibes and best wishes.. miss my boy so much..they are an awesome breed xFB_IMG_1610310219003.jpgFB_IMG_1610310213524.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1610310219003.jpg
    FB_IMG_1610310219003.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Pointless saying don’t worry. Are you live teaching your classes? I’m finding it hard to juggle everything.

See what the vet says, let us know.