When you think you've heard it all....

Illusion100

Visit site
At a notorious yard well known for poor management, yet somehow BHS approved an elderly horse was found in the field with a hole in its head.

An elderly horse that wasn't receiving appropriate care, or needed veterinary care.

The horse was euthanased shortly after, although I doubt just due to the wound.

As the owner is very friendly with the yard supervisor, people are being informed the horse was gored by a bull.

There are no cattle near yard. No bull shaped holes in fencing. No other injured horses.

I can only imagine the bull is invisible with the dexterity to open and close gates....

Illusion100

Visit site
That’s an odd explanation to give! What do you think caused the hole it’s head?

That horse was kept in a herd in a field with bits of broken wood fencing, barbed wire and rotting XC fences.

The horse had a very sickly smell, perhaps a ruptured abscess caused the head wound. Probably had systemic infection as well.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
That horse was kept in a herd in a field with bits of broken wood fencing, barbed wire and rotting XC fences.

The horse had a very sickly smell, perhaps a ruptured abscess caused the head wound. Probably had systemic infection as well.

Very sad. But I’m not sure what the point of your post is.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Is this the same stable as the blind in one eye horse, the horse that injured itself inside the stable and the stable where someone was suspected to be abusing a horse/ horses? Perhaps you could share the name of the place so we can all avoid it.

Trouper

Visit site
Is this the same stable as the blind in one eye horse, the horse that injured itself inside the stable and the stable where someone was suspected to be abusing a horse/ horses? Perhaps you could share the name of the place so we can all avoid it.
This absolutely - name and shame publicly if the BHS are not prepared to do anything.

Ratface

Visit site
Appalling situation. Report to Local Authority Trading Standards Department. Also reference the Animal Act 2006. Police support may be required to enable access.

Illusion100

Visit site

Yes, it is the same place. Along with the backed 3 yr old with the crooked pelvis and tail plait saga.

Approx a week prior to the horse euthanased due to hole in head, another horse required hospitalisation at vet clinic due to severe/extensive barbed wire lacerations.

The yard is located on the outskirts of Belfast.

Illusion100

Visit site
This absolutely - name and shame publicly if the BHS are not prepared to do anything.

I'm putting in an official complaint to BHS, along with following up my complaint to council animal welfare.

If nothing is done, then I won't have an issue going public about the place with various incidences and photographic evidence.

A number of former liveries are prepared to contribute towards evidence and the Police have records of reported incidences as well.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Reported nearly 2 weeks ago, however the gentleman said they don't have jurisdiction over that area and would forward to relevant colleague.

I haven't heard anything since. Following up next week.

I’d just go straight to the council and Trading Standards

ruth83

Visit site
Reported nearly 2 weeks ago, however the gentleman said they don't have jurisdiction over that area and would forward to relevant colleague.

I haven't heard anything since. Following up next week.

Please do follow up if it gets to the 2 week mark and you don't hear anything. If you spoke with the welfare team then your concerns may need redirecting to the approvals department (which would be what the gentleman you spoke to was referring to, they should do it at their end).

All centres were given automatic renewal pending inspection for 2021 to allow for catching up with backlog left from covid delays.

Illusion100

Visit site
Please do follow up if it gets to the 2 week mark and you don't hear anything. If you spoke with the welfare team then your concerns may need redirecting to the approvals department (which would be what the gentleman you spoke to was referring to, they should do it at their end).

All centres were given automatic renewal pending inspection for 2021 to allow for catching up with backlog left from covid delays.

The council member I was called by asked for photographic evidence to be emailed, I sent around 12 photos just to get the point across, he said he would forward them but I haven't heard anything since.

I definitely understand yards being given automatic re approval due to this pandemic.

I just can't understand why this place has been approved for so long

teapot

Visit site
If they're a riding school you could contact the NI DEFRA too https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/contact

BHS you'd be better off contacting a specific human - Sarah Dale's the Head of Business Support for all BHS approved centres - riding school and livery. There should be a regional manager too for NI and I cannot think off the top of my head who it is. Gemma Stanford is Head of Welfare as well.

ETS: Susan Spratt is your NI contact

Last edited:

ruth83

Visit site
The council member I was called by asked for photographic evidence to be emailed, I sent around 12 photos just to get the point across, he said he would forward them but I haven't heard anything since.

I definitely understand yards being given automatic re approval due to this pandemic.

I just can't understand why this place has been approved for so long

With you using the term council member, can I just check, have you reported this to BHS HQ, or to the local volunteer committee?

Illusion100

Visit site
If they're a riding school you could contact the NI DEFRA too https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/contact

Thanks Teapot, it was previously a riding school but that element was closed down years ago. It is now just a livery yard.

Unfortunately a current livery there has also had to contact Police. I hope the Police start to join up incidences. They are also contacting council animal welfare and BHS. I hope with more complaints the relevant bodies start taking this seriously!

teapot

Visit site
Thanks Teapot, it was previously a riding school but that element was closed down years ago. It is now just a livery yard.

Unfortunately a current livery there has also had to contact Police. I hope the Police start to join up incidences. They are also contacting council animal welfare and BHS. I hope with more complaints the relevant bodies start taking this seriously!

Have added to my post with actual humans :)