When your horse rears...

TicTac

Visit site
Here we go again. lots of silly people giving silly advice about cracking eggs or wacking horses on the head to stop them rearing. FFS!

First of all ask yourself why the horse rears in the first place and then deal with the problem sensibly and at no time is any of the above sensible.

I have never ever in my 40 years of owning horses had a rearer because I have never given the horse any reason to rear. I could go on but I am only going to get cross.

My_chestnut_mare

Visit site
i was given that advice over 17 year ago when i was at a riding school by an instructor using the horse in a lesson.

I have not and will not use that method again.

I just thought that was what you did as i have not has a rearer and i suppose you listen to your instructor THINKING they are giving you advice.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Off topic but Leonardo you are spoiling a perfectly good saying

What's sauce for the goose (is sauce for the gander). (British, American & Australian old-fashioned) also What's good for the goose (is good for the gander). (American & Australian old-fashioned)
something that you say to suggest that if a particular type of behaviour is acceptable for one person, it should also be acceptable for another person

[/ QUOTE ]

does it really matter

what im meaning is that whilst it may work for some it is not necesserily for other.

god im only trying to input to a bit of the post
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It does matter to me.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
And in response to the OP - you did exactly what I would have done, and have done in the past when a horse has gone up on me.

Thankfully, it's not been a regular occurance......
smile.gif

tilly17

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Here we go again. lots of silly people giving silly advice about cracking eggs or wacking horses on the head to stop them rearing. FFS!

First of all ask yourself why the horse rears in the first place and then deal with the problem sensibly and at no time is any of the above sensible.

I have never ever in my 40 years of owning horses had a rearer because I have never given the horse any reason to rear. I could go on but I am only going to get cross.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your post is a bit harsh, I only posted as an insight to what happened in the past (over 80 years ago). I did not suggest anyone try it, it just amuses me to think of soldiers carrying eggs in their pockets just in case. You are very lucky never to have come accross a rearer, unfortunately reading these posts not everyone has been as fortunate as you.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i had to school a rearer once he. he didnt rear to high and i to the same as sop21 cracked him in between his ears every time he reared as horses dont like to bang their heads hence the reason to hit them between ears hard enough to give them a fright but not to hard to really hurt them.

The highland i rode soon got out of it .

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you see here it sounds to me like you were schooling it for someone...not having lessons on it. Which might be confusing for people..

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Although I don't agree with eggs/ hitting etc etc, Leonardo don't take it personally - I think what everyone saying is more of a generalisation as its what quite a few people do.

I think I worded that okay
blush.gif
confused.gif

soph21

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Madhector's advice is, as ever, spot on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im actually quite shocked that anyone would even think of hitting a horse between the ears mid-rear, and I have seen and heard alot in the past, so not alot shocks me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said whilst they were up! Just as they feel like their gonna go up, Just the same as turning them just before they go up!
It worked on a couple I know.
Every horse is different, and Im definitely not cruel to my horses or anyone elses!

Like I said Bear done it the once and HASN'T DONE IT SINCE
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Oh and he's not head shy!
wink.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think the point is Sophie, that there is a good way and a not so good way to deal with all problems. I for one can't bear to see violence of any sort towards a horse - and hitting one between the ears is not only incredibly dangerous, but also incredibly cruel.

Never, ever, ever hit a horse between the ears. Just because it's something that you feel has worked for you - it is absolute madness.

Flame_

Visit site
OP, you are right to give the reins as they go up. Keep your legs on and push your upper body forwards as much as you can keeping your hands low either side of the neck. I think talking to them if they are rearing through anxiety helps, as does growling at them if they are doing it to nap. As Madhector said, spin them when they are down to avoid them going up again. I've tried smacking a horse on the head years ago, it didn't work.

madhector

www.darlingdressage.co.uk
Not at all the same as turning in a circle, sorry!

Also hitting a horse between the ears before it has even done anything wrong is even worse than mid rear

Having worked on plenty of rearers as part of my day to day work I have never felt the need for your approach, nor do I think it would have helped. Out of all the rearers I have had the pleasure of working on only one was deemed incurable, and was beyond help, hitting it between the years would have been suicidal.

TicTac

Visit site
And why do you think my post is harsh?

I know there are horses out there who rear, some from excitement, some from fear and some from naughtiness, My point is that some people immediately advocate harsh and useless suggestions to ' cure' or 'deal' with such horses. If ANYTHING, a horse should be smacked on it's BELLY with a soft rope as it goes up as they are extremely protective of this area. I am not advoacating that anybody try this and it should only be carried out by a person who has experience in dealing with rearers.

No, my post is not at all harsh unlike some of the stupid suggestions!!!

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Oh dear
crazy.gif

I have a rearer. In fact I have had two, one of whom went over with me
I had quite a lot of people at the time telling me to smack her over the head, but I cannot for the life of me see what good this will do.

My current horse has reared in his stable & hit his head, and reared in the lorry and hit his head, but he still does it. (H's not very bright). So what would hitting him achieve?

I wait till he comes down, spin him in a circle & then kick him on. His rearing is getting less and less often & big now, so seems to be working. I do give with the reins a bit, if you don't then you can pull them over.

I actually have head some good things about smacking a horse on the belly with a rope (sounds a bit Parelli but all the same I understand the logic as they are exposing an area that is sensitive & so would come back down again if they felt threatened.)

But smacking on the head is poor horsemanship IMO, regardless of whether it works, or not.
frown.gif

jumpthemoon

Visit site
I'd never hit a horse on the head mid rear. Far too easy to cause damage/lose balance/cause more problems. You need to work out what is causing the horse to rear (fear/excitement/disobedence) and deal with that issue.

As others have said, give with the reins, move your weight forwards to stay in balance and if the rear is high you can also put your arms around around the horses neck so you can balance yourself without unbalancing the horse.

kerilli

Visit site
there is an excellent video on youtube of a fantastic trainer called "endospink" curing a rearer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBcQsVdxEA8

(it's a real pro, goes very high a number of times, striking out in front too. he just leans forward when it does, and doesn't react at all otherwise. when it finally stops, he asks it to stand, doesn't try to drive it forward. (the opposite of what i was told to do, and have always done, fwiw.) it accepts it, they stand for a while, and then it walks forward as if nothing has happened. it is video'd again the next day coming out of the barn in exactly the same place, and surprisingly, it does nothing at all. i believe the guy, he's very honest on there (shows the bloopers, the dramas etc).
so, for this one anyway, being totally passive, not taking any fight to him, not giving him anything to react to, cured him very very quickly. well worth bearing in mind imho.
i just LOVE endospink. i have never seen a trainer as good as him.

Cash

Visit site
That is a really interesting video- and obviously achieves results! I think i will actually try that with my boy next time he rears- his are a LOT smaller and less dramatic than that lol, so hopefully i'll be able to follow through. thanks kerilli
smile.gif

Must say though, i'm not sure i would be able to sit all of those rears on the video! Am lucky in that the only rearers i ride are more 'hops' when over excited in the case of the polo ponies, or when having a strop in the case of my current boy!
grin.gif

somethingorother

Visit site
God where do all these people come from? Still, it's not as bad as the suggestion of a railway sleeper overhead in a stable rearer...

'i once hit a horse on the head the first time he reared and he never did it again so it must work' ---- yes, but he might never have reared again anyway

'i was told by an instructor on a riding school pony'---- well ive seen a lot of riding schools and more bad instructors from the dark ages than i can possibly count.

'they did it years and years ago' and now we've moved on, done more research, supposedly evolved and found new methods which do not involve stupid violence.

OP it's more than likely your horse did this out of stress and may well not do it again. If he does it again then sit up and put your weight more forward and put your arms forward or around his neck as others have described. IF you feel uncomfortable with the height then don't be a hero, slide off being careful not to pull them over. It's not worth getting crushed by a horse going over, you're not being beaten, you're being smart.

Araminta

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not a short hard crack they dont!
grin.gif

Horses have really sensitive heads, Hence why some wear those pole guards.
Whats your best solution MH?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear, thats a bit old fashoined - like the old, break an egg over them or hit them over the head with a bottle of warm water and they will think its blood!!!!!!!!!

If you know they are going to rear - don't let them - simple as that.

If you are quick enough to take the horses head round to your knee they cannot rear. Hold until you feel the horse start to relax under you then allow them to have their head - if they try to rear again just repeat. Never known this method to fail yet.

Araminta

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Madhector's advice is, as ever, spot on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im actually quite shocked that anyone would even think of hitting a horse between the ears mid-rear, and I have seen and heard alot in the past, so not alot shocks me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said whilst they were up! Just as they feel like their gonna go up, Just the same as turning them just before they go up!
It worked on a couple I know.
Every horse is different, and Im definitely not cruel to my horses or anyone elses!

Like I said Bear done it the once and HASN'T DONE IT SINCE
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Oh and he's not head shy!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are saying is that you would whack a horse between the ears if you think it "might " go up.

I don't get the logic in that.

katie_and_toto

Visit site
I used to ride a little 4 year old pony for someone, one day he just got too over excited and went right up vertical, twice, it scared the absolute heebie jeebies out of me. I just remember putting my hands forward and leaning forward, terrified that he would go over backwards
crazy.gif
Needless to say I got straight off after that and didn't ride him again, he was a lovely pony besides the rears but I wasn't going to risk getting injured

Luckily I now own a sane pony who doesn't rear
smile.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
with rearers i try to lean forward and not pull back on reins when they are up in the air and then try to spin them round and get them going forwards when they land...FWIW though i try not ride rearers...my friend nearly died when her mare came over on top of her so i won't knowingly get on a rearer or try to reschool one. but thats my personal choice...
crazy.gif

somethingorother

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I wouldnt give a flying fig about the horse being headshy or having issues with it's ears.What I really would not want is a broken back or neck or in a wheel chair for the rest of my life. End of story!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you whack a horse which is already wound up enough to rear over the head, there's a good chance you will end up in exactly that situation.

Sarah Sum1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Personally I wouldnt give a flying fig about the horse being headshy or having issues with it's ears.What I really would not want is a broken back or neck or in a wheel chair for the rest of my life. End of story!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you whack a horse which is already wound up enough to rear over the head, there's a good chance you will end up in exactly that situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my opinion. It would be stupid to hit an already upset horse!