Where am I going wrong?

Maz55

Visit site
My horse is well schooled and I’m having regular classical lessons. In lessons and on hacks my horse has an amazing trot round on the bit with Impulsion I can feel the power from behind but I can’t get this in the school on my own particularly not rising trot - occasionally I get there sitting where I feel I can use my whole body more effectively. I try hard to ensure I have a light even contact I do struggle with my horse’s crookedness which doesn’t help. From time to time my horse throws her head up (when not working correctly) but I don’t know why, it doesn’t seem to matter if I have a light or firmer contact or no contact. Can anyone advise?

Wheels

Visit site
If you are getting a good trot on hacks then I'm guessing that in the school you are lacking the right level of forwardness / impulsion

Try going for forward and relaxed first, keep a good consistent rhythm, add in some circles and some lateral work and it should come

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have exactly this problem with my Dales who is rising 8. On hacks he is lovely attentive and forward and I get an amazing trot where I feel we are floating.
In the manège I only get glimpses of this forwardness, he is always hard work and I have to nag to get him to move. I too follow classical lines and straightness training, so everything I do is about enabling my horse and ensuring my seat is correct. I am concluding that much of it has to do with his nature and attitude, he doesn't see the point of schooling and I have just started using clicker training to motivate him and help him to understand what I want from him. He is a great foodie and it is early days but so far so good, we are achieving forward without nagging much to my surprise.

Maz55

Visit site
If you are getting a good trot on hacks then I'm guessing that in the school you are lacking the right level of forwardness / impulsion

Try going for forward and relaxed first, keep a good consistent rhythm, add in some circles and some lateral work and it should come

Thank you Wheels I’ll try that. Historically I’ve tried to slow down the trot as she used to get very rushy and on forehand in school but that’s improved a lot so perhaps I’ve overdone it a bit!

tristar

Visit site
for me straightness is the most important thing, no true impulsion without straightness, crookedness is the horse saying `i am not ready` to do this, work on straightness through relaxation then add impulsion, i don`try to do everything at once but try to install all components then put it all together.

Maz55

Visit site
I have exactly this problem with my Dales who is rising 8. On hacks he is lovely attentive and forward and I get an amazing trot where I feel we are floating.
In the manège I only get glimpses of this forwardness, he is always hard work and I have to nag to get him to move. I too follow classical lines and straightness training, so everything I do is about enabling my horse and ensuring my seat is correct. I am concluding that much of it has to do with his nature and attitude, he doesn't see the point of schooling and I have just started using clicker training to motivate him and help him to understand what I want from him. He is a great foodie and it is early days but so far so good, we are achieving forward without nagging much to my surprise.
Good to know it’s not just me! My horse is slightly different in that she gets very anxious in school and tends to get rushy and on forehand so my struggle is getting her to understand the difference between speed and Impulsion but on a hack - particularly if she thinks her hacking buddy is going to overtake her - my word the engine comes to life!

Wheels

Visit site
for me straightness is the most important thing, no true impulsion without straightness, crookedness is the horse saying `i am not ready` to do this, work on straightness through relaxation then add impulsion, i don`try to do everything at once but try to install all components then put it all together.

That's a very good point

Maz55

Visit site
Thank you I do constantly try to work on straightness she is often tense in spooky school so that probably doesn’t help