Where can I buy cheap feed buckets?

kit279

Visit site
I would like to be able to make up all my feeds for the week at the weekend but that is going to require a fair few new feed buckets? Is there anywhere that sells them reasonably cheaply? I'm after the tubtrug type that squash down.

Any suggestions?

Supertrooper

Visit site
Asda have had them, £3 for medium sized ones and £2 for small. I don't know if they're still doing them though.

Definately don't buy from tack shops but look at garden centres or wilkinsons xx

rhino

Visit site
If it's just the dry feeds (as it must be, surely?!) then can you not just make them up in a buckets and then transfer to a carrier bag or something (obviously need to be in a rat proof area), used to do that when taking horse on holiday for a week :)

kerilli

Visit site
the cheapo tubtrugs don't last though, they go brittle in the cold in winter, which i've found the real tubtrugs don't.
if i'm going away and want to leave loads of feeds made up, i use Tesco's bags, and they can just be emptied out into a bucket, takes seconds. just an idea anyway...

brown tack

Visit site
I used to use 5litre ice cream tubs (my mum owns a sweet shop) work really well, strong enough not to break easy, a good size that stacks, with lids and they don't break in the frost.

However it is a lot of ice cream to eat! :D

scrunchie

Visit site
Our local builders' merchants sells basic buckets for £1. Ok, so they are not trugs but cheap to replace if they get trashed and you can take the metal handle off if you want to.
the cheapo tubtrugs don't last though, they go brittle in the cold in winter, which i've found the real tubtrugs don't.

Ditto.

Every year I buy a new set of cheap trugs. They survive about a month before they get start to tear down the sides which is how I started buying the cheap ordinary buckets.

Last year I paid £8 (Yes. £8 :eek:) for a proper trug and it's still going strong.

Last edited:

Tnavas

Visit site
I make up my feeds in plastic carrier bags - hold a good amount and handles can be tied, squished to expel the air, then I put them inside a feed bin. All that needs to be done then is to pull out a bag, empty it into the bucket and feed. Takes up a lot less room and the mice have a harder job getting into them.

claireandnadia

Visit site
I make up my feeds in plastic carrier bags - hold a good amount and handles can be tied, squished to expel the air, then I put them inside a feed bin. All that needs to be done then is to pull out a bag, empty it into the bucket and feed. Takes up a lot less room and the mice have a harder job getting into them.

This is what I do.

solly3066

Visit site
Check out Equestrian Clearance.com website, they sell "mixtures" (think that's what they're called!) which are genuine tubtrugs but the ones made at the end of the colour runs, hence the colours aren't "perfect"...and I think they are £3 each :) Bought some last year and they are just the same as the full price ones, mine were just very pale washed out colours as opposed to bright.

:D

GLEEK

Visit site
I disagree with the asda ones going brittle. I have 6 for feed and 2 for water last year our temps got down to -21 and they were fine. I did a rotation with the feed buckets so they were getting left out over night etc.

I know someone that uses a basin you would wash your dishes in. I think about 90p from asda

kp31

Visit site
I also use the ASDA ones and have had a couple for at least 18 months. Bought some more from there on Monday at £2 each, also have the large ones in the paddocks in all weathers and it is still good enough for this winter!