Where can I buy some hobbles?!

Ginn

Visit site
I am seriously, seriously contemplating it!!!
shocked.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

OK, so maybe not seriously but I have completely run out of ideas to keep my horse contained as she finds "popping" over the fencing far to easy!
crazy.gif
smirk.gif

So far I have tried:
- Super tall electrified fencing
- Double strips (about 5 ft apart) of super tall electrified fencing
- The above with plenty of grass to encourage her to stay in
- The above with flappy bags on the fencing
- Threatening her with the meat man
- Leaving her have access to her yard and stable and the above
- Half blinding her with a muddy fly mask (ok, so she made it muddy but I doubt she could see a damned thing out of it) and the above

She is not lonely, not being bullied, NOT HUNGRY!! - she is positively fat!, possibly a bit bored but then she still did it last night despite spending 40 mins behaving like a twit on the lunge, not jumping out to get to anyone (she jumps further from other horses not closer), not frightened. Her routine has not been changed except for 4 1/2 weeks field rest due to knocking her SDFT but then she was doing it long before then anyway. She never goes through the fencing, always over.

Oh and she can do 4 1/2 ft high electrified bounces from a standstill!!!

Any ideas, she is totally defeating the whole object of having fencing atm and is already the size of a house!?

Ginn

Visit site
No way! She'd kill me within a week and cost me a fortune in hay and bedding!! While she is happy to come in in crappy weather or over night there's no way she'd cope or be rideable stabled 24/7, not that I'd think it fair anyway.

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
Mine does this when in season & when the mood takes her at other times. She is a complete cowbag & I also did all of the stuff you have done. And failed.

Nothing worked unfortunately & I spent day after day after day walking over a 10 acre field to get to the other side to catch her. Complete b!tchbag.

She has since calmed down, this was about 5 years ago when she was 5/6 years old. She still does jump out when in season, over thick, high hedges & she's only a bloomin' Newfie too!
mad.gif
grin.gif

Just fingers crossed that she grows out of it really.
frown.gif

ETA; I also could not stable mine. Didn't have anywhere suitable to stable her permanently & stabling her 24/7 or even 4 days out of 7 you were asking to ride a ticking bomb. Dynamite pony here we come!
crazy.gif
smirk.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

karenpi

Visit site
I have EXACTLY the same problem. My horse is bored, plain and simple. I couldn't find hobbles anywhere. I have resigned myself to relying on the goodwill of other liveries putting him back about 4 times a day. He goes over and under the electric fence and will go over post and rail if he feels like it. Luckily for me, he does not gorge so is not too fat. I could not find a solution, so this post is of absolutely no help to you but to let you know you are not the only one !

I think stabling part time is your only option, you would probably get grief and cries of "how cruel" from others if you did put hobbles on !

Ginn

Visit site
Fortunately the whole yard only has 6 acres so not too far to trudge and she is always waiting by the fencing that she's jumped to be let back in, looking like butter wouldn't melt. Just wish she wouldn't do it in the first place! Doesn't seem to be in any way related to her seasons, just an "I'd rather be over there" kind of thing. And she fortunately doesn't attempt hedges (well they are atleast 9 ft high!).

Gahhhhh! Nice to know mines not the only one! Bet she won't pop fences under saddle with such ease and confidence though....
smirk.gif

Enfys

Visit site
You have my sympathy, frustrating isn't it?
crazy.gif

I have a yearling boarder (all of 12.2) that sounds just like this except she prefers under or just straight through, "under, over or through, by hook or by crook" (on her knees if need be) is her motto. She just likes to be someplace else despite company and good grass.
mad.gif
The only place my monster stays is right by the stallion but she can't go in there and besides, she drives him potty.

By day I turn her out in the forest, but at night I like to be sure she is going to be in the same place as I left her. I have been reduced to corralling her in the roundpen overnight, and she still tries, despite a mountain of hay to keep her busy. If she belonged to me I'd be considering hobbles too, if she belonged to me she could live in the damn forest
mad.gif

DSCF9410.jpg

I can't offer any ideas, other than a 6' high railed paddock and they aren't usually knocking about as you need them.

Tinker_Belle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Gahhhhh! Nice to know mines not the only one! Bet she won't pop fences under saddle with such ease and confidence though....
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

XC jumps - No Problem. She flies them. SJ's - Takes the pi$$ unless you really ride her into the fence & will walk through them without strong riding because she knows she can.

As a result I don't see the point in SJ'ing her seeing as I don't enjoy it & neither does she seem to. If my sister or her loaner wants to take her XC then she loves it
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
had the same problem with my mare, she will jump a 5 bar gate from a trot. very calculated, goes round picking the best take off and landing spot. her problem is that she hates missing out on anything and does it if there is something going on in the yard and she can't see.
i got the green 6' poles for gardening, they are stronger than the canes, stuck them in the ground at every couple of fence posts, attached them to posts with cable ties and then put electric tape round the top. fencing now about 6' high all round the field. it took ages but it has done the trick.
good luck.