Where did all this confidence come from?

nikkiportia

Visit site
I'd posted last week about finally hacking new ponio out alone, and that I was sooo pleased I'd finally managed it after losing all confidence riding.
Well things have been good since, we'd hacked out in company again and done a bit of schooling this week, all fine.
Then my sis took him out alone on Thurs night and had a bit of a bad time of it. He was very very naughty for her, spooked at everything and really upset her
frown.gif
It was the first time she'd attempted hacking alone after 12 yrs out of the saddle, so she was VERY brave doing it. But after speaking with her Thurs night about it, I was so disappointed with ponio and couldn't understand why he'd been so naughty, when he was so good with me (a nervous wreck!)
So, lastnight I was totally determined to get this pony out again, and see what happened.
Well! It couldn't have gone better! The determination seems to have done the trick with my confidence, and I took him on a fantastic hack. He tried it on to start with, which didn't even phase me, lots of leg and encouragement and a little smack down the shoulder when he tried to nap and we were off!
I found that by concentrating on his confidence rather than my own made me forget completely about the 'what ifs'. I felt the safest I've ever felt hacking alone and I was over the moon when I returned to the yard.
So I've now come to the conclusion, that my main problem is schooling in the field, which is where I had the bad fall. It seems that when I school, I'm worried that pony will get bored and start messing about, even though he doesn't and I keep it interesting with lots of transitions, circles etc. It's all in my head, but I am just so pleased that I can hack out fine and it gives me something to do that doesn't scare me.
I've now decided that for the time being I will just hack for a while, and get my confidence boost doing that, then attack the schooling issue at a later date.
It should work out pretty well, as sis has issues hacking, yet is fine in the field, so hopefully she will do the schooling, and I can hack him out until he is better out hacking and she can attempt it when she is ready.
Bit of a pointless post really, but am just smiling today. I honestly didn't think I'd ever get on a horse again without having panic attacks! I was really starting to doubt whether I'd ever enjoy it again.
Happy me
grin.gif

The Original Kao

Visit site
well done
laugh.gif
wish i could find some confidence from somewhere
frown.gif

the 1 horse i loved and trusted riding decided to turn into a bucking bronko and i stayed on and rode him through it, never fell off, but now i'm having a mental block about getting back on him again!
i just need my boss back from her hols to give me a kick up the backside
tongue.gif

Gorgeous George

Visit site
well done I am so pleased your confidence is coming on in leaps and bounds - such a great feeling! My hacking confidence is getting better slowly, but I like the idea of thinking about the horses confidence rather than your own - will give it a go!