where do i stand?

pixiebee

Visit site
i have just sold my horse to a friend, before i sold him he had been off work due to my pregnancy and was just being brought back into work. he bucked a few times with me and was more stubborn than usual so i had his teeth doine and booked a back person. however my friend asked if she could buy him , so i agreed and said that i had booked the back person as i felt he was being more stubborn. it was cancelled and he bronked with her, so she remade the appointment and the back person according to her has said that his back was out of line and it would cost her atleast 480 to get it sorted and 6 weeks of lunging etc- i genuinely did not know this??!!! i dont have the money to buy him back. she did not have him vetted or anything as she came with me to view him in the first place. she has asked me for money towards his back but she bought him beofre the back person came out-what do i do?
confused.gif

devilwoman

Visit site
tell her to bog off - if she wern't your friend she wouldn't be able to ask for vets fees contribution after sale (unless agreed prior to sale) so why should she get them just cause your her friend.

sorry harsh I know but ive bought horses then found ailments afterwards (my fault as I dont' have vetted) but I deal with them and pay the bills.

Spyda

Visit site
I'd suggest she contacts her equine vet and asks for his opinion. Does she have the horse insured for vet's fees?

Seems a lot of money's been quoted.....and lunging for cure of a back problem. Hmmmm. Not sure about that. I might want to get a second opinion from another recommended practitioner if I were in your friend's shoes.

Caveat emptor applies IMO. Don't buy a horse unvetted unless you want surprises afterwards. You didn't promise her a money back guarantee I assume? Therefore tell her to consult her vet and work through her horse's problem with him. I doubt a lot of money changed hands and 6 weeks remedial work at this time of year isnt the end of the world. The £500 bill to put things right might be less appealing for sure, but I'd get a vet's opinion in that respect and if it turns out to be necessary, swallow the bitter pill. Oh, and I'd remind myself to get my next horse vetted!

Hope you can work things out. X

0ldmare

Visit site
Poor you, what a horrible situation! Have to say the first thing that strikes me is that that's an awful lot of proposed treatment. Call me suspicious, but I would want to talk to the back person and get a 2nd opinion from a vet. Just sounds unlikely to me. What 'treatment' does the horse require. I have to ask, is she a close friend?

pixiebee

Visit site
i thaught it was strange when she quoted that amount to me after just one treatment. she said his pelvis was well out and that it would need treating once a month for 4 weeks then once every 6 weeks etc and that he will need to be lunged for 4-6 weeks in walk and trot, then she mentioned raised cavallettis??????????(sp?) im, not sure about treatment, i think its just back manipulation.

Mithras

Visit site
I think she's got a cheek and I wouldn't be giving her anything back. Echo the second opinions - £480 seems ridiculously expensive and how do they know exactly how it will cost this much before starting the treatment? If "all" that it is is that the back's out of alignement and bucking, normally one or two treatments sort it out and you are advised to ride asap after the treatment so the horse gets in their mind being ridden with a comfortable back. I think she's just yet another person "at it" (and there seem to be a lot of examples of that on here tonight!)

D

Donkeymad

You told her there was a problem and you had booked the back person. She therefore knew, so she can't ask you for a thing.

Brandysnap

Visit site
Hi pixiebee,
It sounds like your lad is just short of work!

I'm very conscious that his new owner is your friend, also, which makes it even more difficult for you, especially as she sounds a little novice/naieve.
On the other hand, we are all so quick to say 'ask the vet' + 'get a vetting', while forgetting that the vet hasn't a clue about us, which is a very important factor in any horse's welfare, + puts immense pressure on any vet, when expected to make a snap judgement on naff all information.

I'm aware of the comments about the complementary practitioner, + may i suggest that any concerns be addressed to her direct? It's impossible to diagnose anything from a forum, + my strong advice is to remember this.

And at the end of the day, your friend bought the horse, so he's not your responsibility.
I just hope you + horse are ok (maybe you could buy him back/loan?) Good luck, + love to the horse, BS x

apes_mum

Visit site
I agree with everyone else's comments. It sounds as if you were completely honest with your friend, and told her everything you knew about the horses health up to the point of sale.
As she felt she knew the horse she decided not to have it vetted.
Unfortunately what was thought to be a minor problem seems to be more serious than either of you first thought, but she did buy the horse knowing there was a problem.
I think a second opinion from a vet would be best and for you to also attend so you get the diognosis first hand, otherwise your friend could tell you whatever she wants!
You're not obliged to give her any money towards the horses treatment, although she will probably try to guilt trip you into coughing up.
It seems your friend has had het first harsh lesson in horse ownership - never take anything for granted!!
smile.gif

TallyHo123

Visit site
I agree with everyone else's comments, you were honest with her and it was her choice to buy and not getting vetted.
I would not be giving her any money towards it.
Hope you get things sorted soon
smile.gif

Spyda

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
....we are all so quick to say 'ask the vet' + 'get a vetting', while forgetting that the vet hasn't a clue about us, which is a very important factor in any horse's welfare, + puts immense pressure on any vet, when expected to make a snap judgement on naff all information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting perspective you have there!

I would have thought having a vetting performed prior to the purchase of any horse would be considered common sense; And consulting an equine vet would be most people's FIRST port of call when something concerns them about their horse's health or a change in its behaviour. Personally, I trust in my vet's many years of intense training and subsequent years of on hands experience. I'd hope any experienced equine vet worth his/her salt would be able to objectively assess a horse without needing intimate knowledge of its owner/carer. Just my opinion, of course.
smirk.gif