Where do people find their ex-racers?

lex2501

Visit site
I know there is an abundance of failed ex-racers in need of a new home/new career, but what is the best way of finding them without going through a middle man who pushes the price up?

Please feel free to PM me with any ideas :)

BeckyC

Visit site
I just contacted trainers around the area directly and asked if they had any that werent good enough to race and went to see a few and decided which i wanted :D

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
I did a wanted ad - got one for £600 - lovely hack type but a little **** to shoe - only saw videos and he walked off the lorry from Yorkshire looking like a hat rack and about 14.2hh - now 16hh and a little fatty living the life of riley :) other mare I got for £50 as she had some *ahem* issues :) try darley rehoming as well - my friend has an absolute cracker from there

JVB

Visit site
I called and met quite a few local trainers, all very helpful, friendly and had a few horses worth viewing. I did end up buying one through horsemart though, he was being sold on behalf of an owner, I paid £1k and although top end he is well worth it.

I tried the usual rehab/ rehoming places but didn't get very far, I was booked in to go and see HEROS but found my boy before then.

I was also looking into the sales but worried about how that would turn out

lex2501

Visit site
I got mine straight out of training, but i did work for the trainer and look after him for 4 years - hes just won his first ODE! :) :)

Gosh - well done!! Great to hear the success stories, especially when ex-racers have a bit of a stigma attached! Do let me know if you hear of any more :)

I just contacted trainers around the area directly and asked if they had any that werent good enough to race and went to see a few and decided which i wanted :D

Thanks Becky - that's the new plan and I am slowly building up a few contacts so fingers crossed :)

I did a wanted ad - got one for £600 - lovely hack type but a little **** to shoe - only saw videos and he walked off the lorry from Yorkshire looking like a hat rack and about 14.2hh - now 16hh and a little fatty living the life of riley :) other mare I got for £50 as she had some *ahem* issues :) try darley rehoming as well - my friend has an absolute cracker from there

Thanks for the suggestion - will look them up!!

ask Lolo. am sure she can offer lots of helpful advice

Good plan batman :D

I emailed lots of local trainers with my requirements and got a few offers

Sounds like this is the best way! How quickly did you find something? I'm keen to get something asap to make the most of summer months...

I called and met quite a few local trainers, all very helpful, friendly and had a few horses worth viewing. I did end up buying one through horsemart though, he was being sold on behalf of an owner, I paid £1k and although top end he is well worth it.

I tried the usual rehab/ rehoming places but didn't get very far, I was booked in to go and see HEROS but found my boy before then.

I was also looking into the sales but worried about how that would turn out

I'm not sure I'm brave enough for sales so contacting local trainers seems the best plan :) I am looking to spend a bit of pocket money as opposed to a total give away so hoping to find something with a bit of quality about it :) Thank you

tilly_monster

Visit site
I have five exracehorses, bugsy we brought when she had done a little bit of retraining from a local ad, she went novice eventing.
Larry we got from the ascot sales, we paid £1000 for him, he went novice eventing, was going to go intermediate but we lost him at SoE last year.
Sam we got from my old boss, he was the first horse I rode in my interview, and after he had finished racing ( only had 6 runs and was rubbish) he came to me to have a go at eventing, he is now my horse of a lifetime and gives me 100%, he's also is quite good at polocrosse, Sam was given to me.
Roo and Quam also came from my old boss, Roo was a chaser, we only got these after we lost Larry, but both are turning out to be quite good eventers, Roo cost £800 and Quam was a gift.
Bugsy was 11 when we got her, Larry was 7, Sam was 3, Roo was 5 and Quam was 7.
My old boss was 100% truthful about Roo and Quam and both had basic flatwork schooling

lex2501

Visit site
I have five exracehorses, bugsy we brought when she had done a little bit of retraining from a local ad, she went novice eventing.
Larry we got from the ascot sales, we paid £1000 for him, he went novice eventing, was going to go intermediate but we lost him at SoE last year.
Sam we got from my old boss, he was the first horse I rode in my interview, and after he had finished racing ( only had 6 runs and was rubbish) he came to me to have a go at eventing, he is now my horse of a lifetime and gives me 100%, he's also is quite good at polocrosse, Sam was given to me.
Roo and Quam also came from my old boss, Roo was a chaser, we only got these after we lost Larry, but both are turning out to be quite good eventers, Roo cost £800 and Quam was a gift.
Bugsy was 11 when we got her, Larry was 7, Sam was 3, Roo was 5 and Quam was 7.
My old boss was 100% truthful about Roo and Quam and both had basic flatwork schooling

Wow! What an incredible advert you are for ex-racers! Will PM you :)

DonkeyClub

Visit site
I know of a very smart 4 year old Tb mare, 15.2hh racebred but unbroken , £500 in the Surrey area. Looks like a little powerhouse I'm just sorry I can't take her!

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
We got ours from the owner (through a mutual friend) for a nominal sum and collected him straight from the trainer. He's turning into a very nice sort although a bit daft at times. He is nicely bred, was expensive as a yearling, is built well, has a massive ping and moves beautifully when not being daft. Hoping to turn him into nice PC eventer (currently at PC Novice and BE 80) & hunter. He's only 6 and had raced (NH) only 8 times so pretty low mileage. The owner did mention there may be others that need rehoming - I can PM you once I know more. Check out the breeding of anything that you see - there are some really knowledgeable people on here - and definitely get a full vetting done. I was told not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but reckoned on the fact that a lame horse costs as much as a sound one, and I wanted to know what I was taking on. In fact, he failed the vetting but he was something that I felt was worth taking a punt on.

lex2501

Visit site
We got ours from the owner (through a mutual friend) for a nominal sum and collected him straight from the trainer. He's turning into a very nice sort although a bit daft at times. He is nicely bred, was expensive as a yearling, is built well, has a massive ping and moves beautifully when not being daft. Hoping to turn him into nice PC eventer (currently at PC Novice and BE 80) & hunter. He's only 6 and had raced (NH) only 8 times so pretty low mileage. The owner did mention there may be others that need rehoming - I can PM you once I know more. Check out the breeding of anything that you see - there are some really knowledgeable people on here - and definitely get a full vetting done. I was told not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but reckoned on the fact that a lame horse costs as much as a sound one, and I wanted to know what I was taking on. In fact, he failed the vetting but he was something that I felt was worth taking a punt on.

Another great success story - thank you!

I would be really keen to hear of any others they have... particularly as I think you are relatively local to me :) I have a bit of budget so would be keen to spend a bit on one with a bit of class and sparkle as opposed to just the freebies - open to all options at the moment!

Thanks again, much appreciated :)

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Stole my dad's horse :p We bought her from DBS to go racing, did all the pre-training work with her at home, then sent her off to a trainer. She ran a grand total of 3 times, chucking it in during her last race so we brought her home and I've had her as my riding horse ever since. Dad keeps threatening to send her pointing this winter as I'm on mat.leave so could do the fittening work, she's 7 now so still young enough, and she is bred to jump fences (has run in 2 bumpers and a hurdle to date, and is by same stallion as Mon Mome) but so far we're resisting as I've spent most of last year persuading her to NOT jump like a racehorse.

McW

Visit site
off the owner who was also the trainer, he had sort of wintered out. I think I was lucky though as I got a goodun!

Lolo

Visit site
I think it's getting you need to be good at spotting the diamonds in the rough for a proper cheapy, but for about £1k/ £1.5k I'd go to a rehoming centre and see what they have on offer...

Reg and Bee we got from down the road through word of mouth (but I doubt you want a Reg or a Bee!).

Smokey is more your type, unless you're after RoR stuff proper as he never raced just trained, and he was found initially as a chuck out for being small and weak and weedy... So worth going to trainers and seeing who's being expelled!

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Would def recommend going through a trainer. Cheaper and they know the horse best. Mine had been with someone else for a couple of weeks, and so I paid more for him than I should have, but he's a lovely person - just a bit dopey sometimes :p

I've already told the trainer I've been riding out for that I want a certain horse when he retires :p Sadly I think the owner's daughter also has eventing ambitions - but I will live in hope!

boxcarhorse

Visit site
If anyone is looking for an exracer at the moment, there is a super very unspoilt 16hh 5yr old gelding looking to be rehomed at the yard I'm based at. He jumps well, moves straight and would make a great eventer we think. His only problem is that he was the world's slowest racehorse!?!!

Pigeon

Visit site
Got mine from a hunt yard, they'd bought him from the trainer but he'd been too nervous to hunt well, wouldn't jump anything!!

He's a complete darling though, he's the one in my sig, I wanted something for dressage so didn't care about the jump phobia, he's been a star for me.

showpony

Visit site
Lol, wouldnt think thats a bad thing:)UOTE=boxcarhorse;12048511]If anyone is looking for an exracer at the moment, there is a super very unspoilt 16hh 5yr old gelding looking to be rehomed at the yard I'm based at. He jumps well, moves straight and would make a great eventer we think. His only problem is that he was the world's slowest racehorse!?!![/QUOTE]

mollichop

Visit site
Mine was a private sale via a preloved ad from a lady who worked at his yard when he was racing and bought him for herself but sold on due to change in circs. He has been fab so far although only had him for 6 weeks so just getting to know each other.

Second Darley rehoming as an option although I believe you would go onto a waiting list, and also these guys on fb have some fantastic horses and put a lot into matching up horse to rider well and initial training once off the track:

https://www.facebook.com/CheveralHouseRacehorseRehoming :)

Holding

Visit site
I was given two fillies to rehome pretty much straight off the track, and despite it being a stretch to afford them plus my 'proper' horse, I wouldn't have done it differently. One of them has gone on lwvtb to a really fantastic home where she is turning out to be bloody brilliant at everything she tries, and the other is coming along very nicely. She is sound but quite scarred, and I don't think she'll be the easiest to rehome, but she is such a sweet girl that she'll have a home with me for life even if I can't find somebody for her. When I was looking, Darley seemed like a good option, and I have had friends who have had very smart horses from there. No idea how long the waiting list is though - I have also known a few people never hear back from them.