Where do you look for share horses?

Visit site
Hi
I've been sat here for an hour pretending to do an essay, searching for share horses. Obviously I'm only dreaming really...
But I have had no luck really, unfortunately. I've tried preloved with a couple of results that don't look too promising, also I looked on horsemart with no success whatsoever, and with freeads im not getting anywhere... Also horse and hound, but the thing I struggle with is lots of sites not having a filter for sharing.
Where do you look for share horses?

Feel free to tell me to keep dreaming, I don't imagine I'll get near owning a horse any day soon :)

Visit site
In Northamptonshire area! All the ads seem to be horses of the wrong height, too far away, wanting people of different age groups, or when they say 'not a novice ride' or 'competent riders only' which is quite hard to categorise because I'm not sure what people view as 'novice'? I can't find any that suit me in terms of ability and area etc.

Dunlin

Visit site
Preloved, Facebook, local papers but I have found shares by visiting Riding Schools and Livery Yards and putting a wanted ad up.

Fides

Visit site
Preloved and Facebook for me and local tack shops. Still had no luck fining a loaner though :(

Jnhuk

Visit site
When previously looking for someone to ride my OH lad, used Gumtree quite successfully but now would say local facebook groups or via your local RC or PC

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I've shared / ridden other peoples horses for the last 15 years. Some from adverts in tack shops, others from internet.
Last year I placed an wanted ad on preloved listing rider available. Added several photos of me riding / competing. Stated I wasn't prepared to pay financial contribution but happy to help out with yard jobs etc.
Within a month I'd had 18 offers, all in the Northamptonshire area. None of these horses had been advertised as wanting a sharer / rider.
Sometimes it's just a case of being in the right place at the right time. Latest horse was picked up by pure chance. Wife was competing at local unaff dressage comp and I went along to watch. Mother of one of my pupils was also there. Whilst nattering to her I spotted the most beautiful 17.2 warmblood being worked in. Commented on how much I liked the look of the horse and was very surprised when she replied that it was her sisters horse. 10 minutes later she wanders over to me and informs me that her sister would like me to teach said horse to showjump. Sister had already seen me ride as we use her school when teaching.
The mum was one of the people that responded to my wanted advert. I was supposed to be schooling daughters horse but ended up teaching her instead. Now looks like I will be competing new boy in dressage as well as working on his jumping with the aim of taking him BS later in the year.

You dont say how experienced you are. I'm sure my many years (49) experience help but it's more a case of getting yourself out there. Often horses will come to you by indirect routes as the current one did.
Explore every avenue, even the most unlikely. Good luck.

Shay

Visit site
You don't say your age or experience - but I would tend to shy away from anything that says needs competent rider etc! Unless you are looking for a project horse these will (not all but many or most) be very difficult. That phrase is often used to cover the owner in the later insurance claim!

I've had sharers for my daughter's hunter for the last 3 years and I have to say I personally would never reply to a "rider available" post. Although PaddyMonty sounds totally fantastic my experience with those types of posts has not been good - but I am looking for younger riders who often place that type of ad without parent's permission.

Our pony is a total gem and I normally have a waiting list - but on the rare occasions I have had to advertise I use horsemart and Pony club. Horsemart doesn't have a dedicated tab for share but it doesn't seem to put off the people looking to reply.

Keep looking - the right pony / horse is out there somewhere.

Visit site
I'm a young teen, with around 8yrs riding experience of weekly RS lessons, an adult who would be able to take me (I have am in the process of convincing them that I should share), I've helped with a few friends' ponies and ridden them out etc, but I don't have much confidence when it comes to shows etc, and haven't jumped for a while. My rs lessons have come to a standstill, I haven't done much for a while.
Thank you to everyone who has replied!

ihatework

Visit site
I'm a young teen, with around 8yrs riding experience of weekly RS lessons, an adult who would be able to take me (I have am in the process of convincing them that I should share), I've helped with a few friends' ponies and ridden them out etc, but I don't have much confidence when it comes to shows etc, and haven't jumped for a while. My rs lessons have come to a standstill, I haven't done much for a while.
Thank you to everyone who has replied!

I think you might struggle to find something suitable. At your age and experience any sensible horse owner would need you to be supervised a fair amount.

What about offering up your time on the weekend, some stable work in return for supervised riding?

Visit site
I've unfortunately had very little luck with helping out at riding schools. My parents are quite into horses (never owned one themselves though) and they ride- do you think this might work in my favour, because they could help supervise, and one would always be there even if I wasn't riding.

Fides

Visit site
I've unfortunately had very little luck with helping out at riding schools. My parents are quite into horses (never owned one themselves though) and they ride- do you think this might work in my favour, because they could help supervise, and one would always be there even if I wasn't riding.

People are generally reluctant to loan to teens due to the reliability issue - not necessarily the teen, but their lift. I've have a 14yo part loan my girl and ended the loan after she cancelled on numerous occasions due to having no lift - completely dropping me in it as ponies were in and I was at work! :( people usually part loan due to time constraints or simply to have a couple of days off so want someone reliable.

Also can your parents commit to twice a day on the days you have the horse? Most DIY share/part loans involve this.

Shay

Visit site
Sorry OP - I think you're going to find this a bit of a struggle. Because you are under 18 you would not legally be able to sign a contract with the sharer. It would have to be with a parent or other responsible adult who would in turn be responsible for the horse. I know I insist as an absolute minimum on horsey parents who can supervise and support. I won't accept kids without that - I learned the hard way! Riding out etc is very different from day to day care, responding to a field emergency etc.

You've got 2 options I can think of... get your parent to approach the local PC DC and ask about share ponies. You would probably have to join the PC branch but many good ponies are passed about like this and they might be able to offer you the supervision etc.

Also have a think about joining a local pony club center if the branch can't help or doing some sort of residential stable management course like BHS Stage 1 during the holidays. You're going to need to get some practical experience behind you which is not connected to a RS. How about volunteering at your local RDA? Of it you are in the right area Horse Rangers?

If this is really what you want then you need to start working on it and demonstrate that. You will get your dream - but nothing in life is free and you are going to have to put the effort in! Good luck.

Lottiedots

Visit site
I put my horse to share on Pre loved but the girl who ended up as his share was advertising on Pre loved looking for a share. So maybe put in an ad yourself stating what you are looking for.. ?

kc100

Visit site
I'm a seasoned sharer (although a lot older than you!) and have generally found mine through Preloved, but also equine adverts, horsemart and facebook are worth a try

In your case because you are so young I think you need to speak to your parents first - will they be ok to commit to say 3-4 times a week, driving you to the yard and supervising you?

I had a share when I was 14/15, my parents would drop me off at the yard and I would stay there most of the day at weekends, grooming and generally being happy in my little world of ponies with my friend! I was a competent rider though and didnt need supervision, and the yard owner who owned the horses was normally there and he was happy to supervise from time to time.

If your parents are happy to drive you and supervise, then put a 'wanted' advert on preloved. You might have to be patient and wait a while to find something suitable, but I always see ponies for share on Preloved as the owner's children have grown too big for the pony but they dont want to sell so they look for a sharer. I dont see why you wouldnt be able to find something similar.

The Pony Club idea is a good one - you would have to join but they could find ponies for you to ride, and this would give you more experience than what you get at a riding school.

Another option (if your parents agree) is to find a mother/daughter share. There are a few of these around that I see on preloved, the horse is generally a small horse (around 14hh - 14.3hh) so can be ridden by children and small adults. That way your mum could get more experience with the horse and have some fun herself (this would sweeten the deal for your mum!) and you get a horse to ride too. Not many of these come up for part loan, I often see these for full loan, but perhaps if your mum likes the idea it might work - it would be more expensive though than a 'share.'

Good luck with your search and just be patient!

ISHdaft

Visit site
Mostly they appear on facebook pages :)

You can try gumtree and Friday ads but can be tricky pulling through horse shares!

Word of mouth is always a good source too :D

Mince Pie

Visit site
I'd suggest Facebook, that's how I found my sharer (she's 11) after she posted a 'wanted' ad (well, more like a desperate plea, bless her!). There are still some people around who are happy to help younger people learn stable management and let them ride their horses/ponies, but you may struggle as they are not too common. Where are you, someone on here may know of someone who could help?