Where does your dog sleep?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Usually on a vetbed in an airline crate in the kitchen. Sometimes on a rug in the hall. He's a right fidget, he'd drive me nuts on the bed, plus he's a proper mud monster and I know where he's been so he's not getting anywhere near my duvet, lol.

Fools Motto

Visit site
In their beds in the kitchen. (plastic dog beds, with dog cushions and old sheets) I don't 'do' dogs around the house, let alone in the bedrooms. Vinyl flooring, so easy to clean up any accidents and mud - easy access to the garden too. (plus point with older dog and young springer!)

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Wherever they like. Choice of crate with vetbed and cushion in the kitchen, sofa in the living room, memory foam mattresses in the bedroom. Also allowed on our bed but not for sleeping right through as we don't all fit, they come up for half an hour or so then slope off at lights out.

ETA: Little spaniel sleeps *in* the bed, thankfully we don't have him overnight very often. :p

Leo Walker

Visit site
In my bed, well the big dog does, the puppy is in his crate beside the bed until hes a bit bigger and more trustworthy. Mine are whippets so dont shed or smell and give lovely snuggles! We bought a super king sized bed to accommodate him as it was making him utterly miserable making him sleep in his own bed, but whippets are obsessive about being with you, its what they were bred for. Bed warmers for the aristocracy apparently! :lol:

My OH started working nights about a year ago and the big dog has been in heaven ever since! There is now pretty much always someone in the bed for him to sleep next to!

dollyanna

Visit site
Usually most of the night in his heated cave (soft crate lined with double duvet and heat mat, with a blanket over the entrance) but at the moment when it's cold he seems to be spending most of the night under the duvet with me. He usually spends the first hour on the bed and then slopes off, and then comes under the duvet for the last hour in the morning. There's generally just the 2 of us and he's a very clean dog so I appreciate the extra warmth :) He will sleep in his own bed if I ask him to jump down but he's lovely company. He's 11 now as well, has always liked to be close (it's a deaf thing) but these days likes even more to be in close contact as much as possible.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
either in crate which is covered with blankets and has a dog bed inside, or on memory foam bed in front of the fire.or on sofa......most of the time its the sofa....doesnt come upstairs so i have my bed to myself...

planete

Visit site
In the warmest room in the house which is the living-room. The lurchers have a sofa each and the terrier is locked into his crate overnight as he turns into a yelling tornado at night at the slightest noise if left free to wander.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
No pets upstairs here either.
Mine is in lounge, (we have open lounge/diner) either in her bed, or sneaks onto 'visitors' sofa, tip toeing off when she hears me coming down the stairs in the morning.
Cat also snoring on same sofa but across the back of it.
Baby gate in hall ensures pets stay downstairs, tho they have the run of the kitchen too as cat comes and goes as he pleases.

twiggy2

Visit site
The sofa at home, her bed anywhere else, she sneaks on my bed if I am not here, home is single storey and she can open the doors.
I have become soft as she spent from the age of ten weeks to two years moved around various rescue kennels and I figure if she feels the need to be on my bed/pillows in order to feel safe when I go out then so be it-...

Chiffy

Visit site
No dogs upstairs or on furniture here.
At night they are shut in the dog room, it was the original kitchen when I moved here. Youngest flatcoat still has her crate which is large and has a comfy mattress in it. The door is not shut. The older flatcoat has the choice of a mattress type bed or a large plastic oval bed with a cushion and vet bed. The new rescue Goldie has a large memory foam bed which he now loves, I am not sure he really knew what a soft bed was , he has bald pressure sores on elbows and hocks.
In the daytime the dogs have free access downstairs and soft beds in the big kitchen. They like to be in whatever room I am in. If I go out they tend to take themselves back into the dog room although they are not shut in there.
When my daughter's lurcher stays, she is always close to the Aga!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
The collie sleeps either down stairs, the top.of the stairs, by dad's bed or the odd occasion on the bottom of the bed.
When my mum was recovering from graves disease he used to wake her up at night when her heart monitor would beep when her hr went too high so she could take her extra tablet to lower it.

He also has a fear, well used to but has now over come it, of the bathroom and six years ago when my sister collapsed in there while we were out he crawled in there and laid snuggled up next to her to keep her calm while we came home.

So he is definitely allowed the run of the house.

The little cocker bed hops 😊

TGM

Visit site
Both our dogs sleep overnight in the kitchen. Whippet puppy is shut in the crate and has a thick duvet in there, older dog on a Tuffie's bed with extra pillow beside the crate. During the day they have the choice of the beds in the kitchen, or one in front of the log burner, and they are allowed on the sofa. However, upstairs is by invitation only, although the puppy hasn't quite got the hang of this house rule yet. She may be a whippet, but she is certainly not going to be sleeping in my bed, and she does seem to actually love her crate!

Even if you allow your dogs to sleep in your bed regularly, I do think they also need to learn to sleep independently from you as well. We never know what is round the corner in life, and if you go into hospital, or need to live with friends for a while, or whatever, a dog who will only sleep with its owner has limited options.

Last edited:

{97702}

Visit site
My oldest greyhound sleeps in the living room where she has a choice of 2 sofas, a chair, a duvet or a dog bed. The other 3 sleep in the kitchen on duvets - the girls always insist on sleeping in the crate or under the breakfast bar, which leaves Hoover to sleep next to the washing machine!

Moobli

Visit site
Wherever they wish. We have five dogs in the house (two GSDs and three collies). The GSDs tend to sleep on their beds in my bedroom, or just outside my bedroom door in the hallway. The two working collies are usually to be found near the woodburner in the living room on vet beds or the memory foam bed, and my old retired collie likes to lie near the back door (as I think he likes to be cooler).

The outside working collies all have their own raised dog bed/boxes filled with deep straw in individual runs.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
The 2 GSDs sleep on vetbeds in crates in the kitchen . The Lancashire Heeler sleeps either on my bed or on his bed on the floor in the summer , once the colder nights come he is usually IN the bed! If Murphy88 is home he swaps from her bed to mine and vice versa. :)

ponyparty

Visit site
About 50/50 in his crate or in my bed (he's a terrier and HAS to burrow under the duvet!).

He is fine with sleeping in his crate; I was worried that not being consistent would cause aggro, but he is perfectly happy to stay in there if I tell him to.

I do like having him in the bed to keep my feet warm, he is the best hot water bottle - and it doesn't matter because I'm single at the moment. He was never allowed in the bed when I was with my ex, it's nice having my little pooch to cuddle up to for warmth now that I'm on my own :eek:

Starzaan

Visit site
Mine sleeps on the bed in the bigger spare room, and lies with his nose on the window sill, keeping an eye on his garden.

If we have guests he is either on the sofa downstairs by the fire, or on his mattress type bed in our bedroom. He's funny about getting onto beds which aren't against a wall so very very rarely gets onto our bed. The only time he will is if OH is away and I'm not well, or if I'm sad and need a cuddle. He always knows and comes to get me, and will snuggle up with me til I stop crying or manage to fall asleep.

He got very protective of me when I first got ill, and he always seems to know when I'm having a bad day. When I'm really bad he lies on the bath mat while I have a bath!

He's a big big dog, and he hates lying on the floor, and isn't a real fan of dog beds. I think it must he uncomfy when you're big and old, so he can sleep wherever he likes as far as I'm concerned. He's my best friend, and he's saved me so many times - he's worth his weight in gold.

ETA he makes me laugh every night because he can't go to bed unless his bed has been made. So just as a human would shake out the duvet and rearrange the pillows, I do that for him each night or he comes and sits beside my bed looking cross. He's so funny - he'll sit and wait patiently while I make his bed, and then bounces onto it and jumps around wagging and saying thank you. Best dog in the world.

ihatework

Visit site
Wherever they like downstairs (upstairs is off limits),

The old lab is either on the sofa or his bed in the living room but if he gets a bit hot will go and lie on the stone in the dining room.

The terrier is usually under a blanket on her bed, which is in/on a bucket chair by the window - she likes to know what is going on!

Annette4

Visit site
One crated in the living room (only space we had next to a radiator which wasn't in the way) and one has a bed in the dining room but depending on how warm it is he sometimes chooses the floor.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
IN the bed, as all good miniature poodles should.

My room would be far too cold without them. In fact, since I lost the old boy this year my bed is noticeably colder this winter. :(

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Does that answer your question, I put them in their beds and they usually end up sneaking on to mine and then there's no room for me, that's a single bed.

solutionbridle086_zps71bc7e24.jpg
[/URL]

dont%20think%20youre%20getting%20in%20this%20bed_zpsux7glnu4.jpg
[/URL]

alainax

Visit site
In her cat bed in the kitchen.

She spent 2 years trying to be allowed to sleep in the cat bed, put the cats right off it so she happily claimed it :p

seaofdreams

Visit site
The greyhound either sleeps in her bed in our room or on a blanket by the radiator, the spaniel sleeps in his raised Hi K9 bed which is right next to me and has extended legs to be the same height as our bed, so he thinks he is in our bed but he is on his own!