Where in Ireland - Cavan or Goresbridge

pollypock1211

Visit site
Hello all, I am seriously thinking about taking a short trip to Ireland in search of my next horse. Purely because the couple of horses i have tried have been ISH's, straight over from the performance sales and they have been just what i am looking for - both sold before i had the chance to go for a second viewing :( he obviously made a bit of money from them - but how much i have no idea they were both up for sale between £3000 - £4000. I have never bought a horse from a different country and i am in the very early stages of my research but from what i can find it seems horses over in Ireland are a lot cheaper - you get a lot more horse for the money!

I suppose my question is which of the sales is best to go to for a good quality easy allrounder. i heard Goresbridge is only good for unbroken youngsters which i am not really looking for. I am not looking for the next world beater but something to take me through a few affiliated levels - looking for something between 4yrs - 8yrs 15.2hh - 16.2hh. My budget would be £4500. The Goresbridge have performance sales in July then September. I would look at going for the first time in July just to get a feel of the place and the whole carry on, and then id go again in September with the view to fetching something home!

The Cavan sale of performance sales is in August but no dates before hand to go and try. Its harder to get info from this website too.

How do you go about getting catalogs beforehand etc as i cant seem to find on either of the websites - and what is the carry on with refunds of shipping costs? Is it necessary to get a re-vetting done at the sales? and is there opportunities to try out and ride the horses ? Flights are very cheap to get over there £30 rtn! but do people go with the ferry to take their own transport ? any info very much appreciated. Thank you!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Either is good, although selling numbers have been lower lately. Cavan have a sale next week, and the catalogue is online atm.

I've bought several from Cavan, though none from G'bridge (Cavan is my local). As with everything, there's some good, some bad, and you need to have your wits about you! You get a good chance to see the horses being ridden and jumped, and in the stable, and many sellers will let you have a ride but not many buyers ask.

I'd personally have them revetted. It doesn't cost much but can be very worthwhile - I had clients from England who had one revetted and the vet told them he'd operated on the horse a few months earlier and in his opinion it wouldn't stay sound, so they didn't buy it.

Most people fly over and send their purchases back with one of the many transporters - you're probably looking at £200-250 - and unless it's changed, the buyer's incentive is a refund of your travel costs, not the cost of getting your horse back home.

It's a good idea of yours to come over on a non-buying trip first to see what it's like, but I guarantee you'll see the horse of your dreams and wish you'd brought your piggy bank with you :D

pollypock1211

Visit site
Whoo thanks very much. Sorry to sound so thick but how do you pay for the horses there ? Would I have to exchange all my money beforehand or can you pay with debit cards in the office ?

JingleTingle

Visit site
Not thick at all, why would you know if you haven't been before? I have always paid cash there. Euros in my case as I live here - but they do accept sterling at the exchange rate applicable that day I think.

Also credit cards are accepted I think - not sure how it works for cheques though. But Im sure if you decided to come they would email you any details like that.

engab

Visit site
Can someone please advise me on what sort of money the horses go for at the Cavan sales? I an looking to but 2x 14.2hh - 15.2hh allrounder quality types but didn't know if it was worth my while

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
They go for whatever people feel like paying for them, which at the moment could be anything from €150 - €20,000. Average for the sort of horse you're looking for, 4 year old, would be €1,200 - €2,000. But don't expect them to be very highly schooled or sophisticated.

JingleTingle

Visit site
They go for whatever people feel like paying for them, which at the moment could be anything from €150 - €20,000. Average for the sort of horse you're looking for, 4 year old, would be €1,200 - €2,000. But don't expect them to be very highly schooled or sophisticated.

Very true answer IMO - at the moment you could either tut tut at the ridiculously low price something might go for - or gasp in bewilderment at the high price something else might fetch. No way of saying other than suck it and see.

engab

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Is there any way of looking at past sale prices? The horses I am looking at are the older horses that have more experience, i.e 148 9yrs old conny types with SJ and XC experience. I have been to a lot of sales in England, i.e Ashford and Duckhurst, Lordsbridge and have always seen an issue with the horses there and smelt a ret. I am very wary of auctions over here as think that there is always a reason to why the horse is at the auction. Is this the same in Ireland, or do they tend to be better quality, and are auctions more of the thing to do, rather than sell privately? Thanks in advance.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
OP if you want to pay by cheque you need to get a letter from your bank sent to Cavan/G'bridge a certain time before the sales (can't think off hand how long but it'll be on the website) which covers the amount you are planning to spend - they take sterling cheques based on that day's exchange rate.

I'd be wary personally of wandering round with that much cash on me.

Beware of the boys bidding up something they know someone (particularly from England :rolleyes:) is interested in. It's best if you don't look too keen on anything :) And if something doesn't make its reserve, don't be afraid to try to do a deal outside the ring if you like the horse - just make sure that it still goes through the auctioneer's office. Sometimes "the boys" will offer to bid something up for a seller - if the seller doesn't agree, they go round telling everyone not to bid, which is why some seemingly lovely horses don't sell in the ring. Equally if one of them wants to buy something, the others won't bid against him, so the price may well be lower than expected.

And remember the buyer's commission :)

natalia

Visit site
All I can advise is that your always better to buy youngsters up to about 6yrs. We wont buy anything older out the ring as they are most likely ruined. Saying that I bought a 148cm mare 5yrs from goresbridge, she had some Sj points and was sold as a cracking jumper but turned out to have the dirtiest stop known to man! After this I now don't buy anything with points ! My Irish friends also went recently and bought 12 horses, all good money and they said 6 of them were dodges. Some even more serious like undeclared cribber (not allowed). So even the Irish can get stung!

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
If only I could get there this tues.... would my boss allow me a day off at such short notice lol. Tbh I think I will go see the sales first also before buying.