Where to advertise horse for loan?

harvgj19

Visit site
What are good websites to advertise a horse for loan?

Got to start sorting out the orange one again.....
frown.gif

Tia

Visit site
Do you have friends/family in England who could post an advert in the local tack shops? And maybe put some ads in the local freeads? Horsemart may advertise loans but I'm not certain about this.

I know you don't really want to do this, but I wonder if you should perhaps think about selling him? It might offer him a bit of a more secure future, sad as it is to contemplate doing this.

harvgj19

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have friends/family in England who could post an advert in the local tack shops? And maybe put some ads in the local freeads? Horsemart may advertise loans but I'm not certain about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might ask someone I know to do this for me. It is just so frustrating trying to do it from over here!!!! grrrrr.

[ QUOTE ]
I know you don't really want to do this, but I wonder if you should perhaps think about selling him? It might offer him a bit of a more secure future, sad as it is to contemplate doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I have, but the vet says he won't pass a 5 stage so I don't really know if I could sell him. I thought if I advertised him for loan with view to buy or some such, I might find someone who I could "give" him to?

Also, do you think I should mention his injury in the advert? Obviously I will have to put that he is not allowed to jump anymore, but how much detail do I need to go into????

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I used Horsemart for my boy and got loads of responses. I also found the NFED to be great but that depends on where in the country you are.

My boy had a breathing operation in Jan this year but I didn't put that on the ad - just that he was a fun pony and not suitable for a competitive home (or something along those lines). When people called, the first thing I did was find out what they wanted to do. Any that wanted something for regular competition or would be wanting to push him all the time, I immediately said he wasn't suitable. For those who wanted to have fun, lots of hacking, some schooling etc, I told them straight away about the breathing. I don't think it put anyone off and I couldn't have asked for better loaners than the people who have him now. It's just a case of judging the people who call.

Not everyone will want to have a horse vetted to buy anyway, it just depends on what it's for. How about loan with a view to buy?

harvgj19

Visit site
Thanks Chestnut Cob. Whats the NFED???

I think I might put him up for sale and see. The vet said he would pass a basic vetting, but the lameness thing would fail him on a flexion test.

I think the bit about "not suitable for competition home" might be a good idea. The vet has said he could likely do some affiliated dressage, but not jumping.

Thanks for all the input.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
New Forest Equestrian Directory, so it's good for Hampshire and edges of surrounding counties really (I'm in Berks, horse is/was in Hants).

My ad read something like "14.2hh Welsh D gelding for full loan. XC, hunted, SJ, hacks, working at Novice dressage and does a nice Prelim test. Looking for home where he can have fun but not suitable as a competition pony. Experienced riders/homes only, he is not a first pony or suitable for novices". I did get a few numpties calling and a few PC mums who told me their daughter was the next Pippa Funnell/Anky/Ellen Whitaker, but mostly they were every day riders wanting to do a bit of PC/RC occasionally. He's gone to a 15yo girl who mostly hacks, does a bit of schooling/lessons, is learning to jump on him, and just wants to have fun. Sorry if that's a bit long winded but thought you might want the full story
blush.gif

I don't know what level he's competed/worked at in the past but you could do LWVTB and put something like "dressage schoolmaster, non jumping home only"...

the watcher

Visit site
I also used NFED to place a horse for loan, as I wanted him to stay in the south of the country within travelling and visiting distance. It is a good site and advertising for loan is free - although you would obviously want somebody at this end to vet any potential new home.

harvgj19

Visit site
I do have someone back home who can "vet" people for me. I just don't want to ask them to have to do everything for me, so I want to get the advert out and have me do the telephoning etc and then send her out to see whats what after I get an initial idea of whether the home would be suitable.