Where to buy a western saddle in the uk?

Jxmxg

Visit site
Ive had a look but can't seem to find many places that sell Western saddles that are located in the UK. I preferably want a used one. I have seen a few on Facebook market place but no one wants to post them. Any suggestions?

TPO

Visit site
From Jennifer Sheerin at Western Tack Trader (on Facebook and website with contact details).

Apologies I'd you're experienced with western but it's not a "one size fits all" and there are variations in trees within all the good brands even if built on the same brand of tree i.e. a lot of american saddles are built on Steele trees (brand not material!) but this varies between and within brands.

Western saddles are usually labelled as semi QH tree, Full QH tree but theres a lot more to it than that. The rock and flare of the tree has to be considered and unless you are very experienced it's near impossible to know by looking. That's why you are better with a fitter who carries stock and can try multiple saddles.

Also be careful because the market over here is flooded with Indian and Mexican knock off saddles including american brands that have been bought by Mexican manufacturers. There are pictures on the Western Tack Trader page showing the horrors going in with those types of saddles.

The trees in synthetic saddles are only designed for petite light riders. I think the figure banded about was 9st. I had one in the flesh and I've only seen a couple of them on other horses but yet to see a wintec western fit correctly.

The exception with synthetics is the half breed Fabtrons. They appear to be much better made as they still have leather components/seat but they are lighter as the skirts and fenders are synthetic.

Jennifer at Western Tack Trader also sells a DVD for £20 iirc covering the basics of western saddle fitting as it does differ from English. Dr Joyce Harman also has a dvd and book about western saddle fitting. I found the dvd really dry but the book is like hens teeth so worth buying I'd you can find it at a reasonable price.

A good saddle pad is also essential. The £30 jobs online arent up to the job. Ideally looking for a good felt or wool pad. New they are over £100 but there are lots of second hand pads in various UK western FB pages.

If something looks too good to be true then it is. There is a lot of rubbish floating about in the UK.

If you're interested in western saddle making then I recommend Pavel Danko Saddlery and Leathercraft on facebook and instagram. I think hes in Ireland and he makes beautiful saddles to order with stunning hand tooling.

Theres also the UK western magazine; Western Rider UK. There have been quite a few articles in it about saddle fitting and if you were interested in back issues I'd you emailed the editor I'm sure they could dig out the correct issues.

I was stung before using a "professional" western saddle fitter and I thought I was fairly switched on ??? because of that I would only ever recommend Jennifer/Western Tack Trader.

She travels the length and breadth of the country. Shes based in cambridge but travels up to the north of Scotland and all across england.

Visit site
Really good advice from TPO. Please DO NOT buy one off the internet assuming it will fit. Buy one from someone who will come out and fit it. Definitely avoid wintec western saddles (and the cheap rubbish Robinsons Equestrian used to sell!) - TPO is spot on.

Second avoiding anything made in india or Mexico. We have a tiny western saddle which we bought one year in Texas and is widely marketed for toddlers and we dismantled it as it didnt sit straight and it is full of nails, staples etc. It was put back together and is now for display only on our barn wall. There's no such thing as a bargain western saddle, you get what you pay for (but they hold their value). Look for USA brands, theyre your safest bets for quality but any decent western stockist in the Uk will help you with the better brands.

Hooves Western (they are yorkshire but do travel a little further). They have sets of forms of most major saddles and go through the full fitting with you so that understand what saddle your horse needs. They have a good range of second hand quality saddles and wont sell you any crap. All of their items are from the USA and top brands. We have bought a number of saddles and a lot of equipment from them over the years, I can recommend them as theyve become good friends of ours as they are just so lovely and knowledgeable.

Western Horse UK magazine sell back issues on their website.

I would recommend you ride in a decent western saddle before commiting to buying all the equipment, as it isnt cheap. Not sure where you are in the UK but there are places you can go for a lesson and just get a feel to make sure youre happy. I would never ride english again' as western just suits me and my horse (and previous horses) so well but I have come across some people who just hatedthe style of western (odd folk ?).

Last edited:

Jxmxg

Visit site
Thanks for the info. Yes I am experienced with them as I used them in Canada for 15years and always bought the professional choice pads for under them. I will look up Jennifer Sheerin at Western Tack Trader on Facebook and Hooves Western. Thank you

Reactions: TPO
Visit site
Great stuff Jxmxg, just hate to see anyone ripped off when buying western.

Try as many saddles as you can to find what fits you better too, as well as your Neddie.

I had a Circle Y Park and Trail saddle for my previous mare and it was the most comfy saddle I’ve ever owned, perfect for long hacks amongst everything else.

I was gutted when it didn’t fit my new mare, I’ve now got a Crates ladies reining saddle and whilst it’s the most beautiful saddle ever and fits my mare perfectly, the seat padding definitely isn’t as nice (a nice seat saver has done the trick for longer rides). It definitely gives better leg contact though for me. Depends what you’re going to be doing in it really.

Happy hunting and let us know how you get on! x

Jxmxg

Visit site
Thanks! I had a Circle Y before and loved it too, I also had a Billy cook and a Courts and a Simco. I think it's gonna be hard to get saddles around here to try on him. The horse is kept in Nantwich area, Cheshire. It's for my welsh d cob who is around 14hh. He needs to gain more weight and muscle especially on his Topline. I just got a Gp ideal saddle in a medium tree (I find it fits a tad bigger than most tho) for english riding.

Attachments

• MOV_0976_000002.jpg
    MOV_0976_000002.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 3
  • received_392714775330055.jpeg
    received_392714775330055.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 3
Visit site
Ah ok, you’re not far away from Hooves Western. I’m pretty sure they would travel to you. They do a fitting fee which isn’t expensive (they’re in Cleckheaton), I’d give them a call and see if they’re doing fittings currently. They’ll go through everything and ask lots of questions prior to coming out and I always sent pics of my four legged new friends over to them and they brought a good selection of Saddles, pads and cinches and all their fitting gear. They will tell you if they’ve nothing in stock. My previous mare was a standardbred cross and was in a semi quarter horse and my current mare is a Dales x and she’s in a full quarter horse, I found there was far more choice available in full quarter horse width, they usually have different width saddles in too, trees that will fit Arab and hafflingers too, it’s very interesting seeing all the forms they bring (fibreglass trees that they will match to your horse), it’s a very good experience and they will help get you well sorted with everything. If they don’t have anything suitable at the time, they’ll put the word out and try to find you a suitable saddle too.

Your boy is lovely, he will look fabulous western! x

Jxmxg

Visit site
Spoke to Martin, just waiting to hear back. I tried on a western saddle it was a 6-6 1/2" and it seemed a bit narrow as it was pushing into and down onto his shoulder and the back end looked odd like to high up compared to from but maybe its because my boy is a little bumb high, not sure. I'm gonna try to find a fitter. For now he fits my new ideal English saddle well :) I will also get some advice and try to get more saddles to try. Its just for hacking so no rush. X

Reactions: TPO
Visit site
OP, just give the area 2 rep a call, they’ll help whether you’re a member or not. Failing that Hooves Western are active with area 5 (Lancashire, Yorkshire etc). Worth ringing them as they will tell you what they have in. x

GSD Woman

Visit site
American here seconding stay away from anything from India and Mexico. Some of the saddles from Mexico look really nice with tooling and such. The trees are known from breaking and the leather for rotting. I heard this back in the 1970s from family in California.