Where to buy cheap horses..

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
https://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/17hh-thoroughbred-gelding/1324432435

TB... but maybe?

To be honest though I would buy a youngster and bring on. More rewarding and you know them inside out!

It costs a breeder at LEAST £1,500 to get a foal to weaning - and that's if they cut corners (cheap mares, cheap stallion, cheap management). And then at LEAST £750 a year to rear them until they are ready for backing - and that's if nothing goes wrong!!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Sometimes livery yards end up with horses being left in lieu of unpaid livery and get sold off cheaply just to get them away and some money back, worth keeping an eye open. I'm not in your part of the country but a local yard currently has two like this.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
It costs a breeder at LEAST £1,500 to get a foal to weaning - and that's if they cut corners (cheap mares, cheap stallion, cheap management). And then at LEAST £750 a year to rear them until they are ready for backing - and that's if nothing goes wrong!!

I can well imagine!! If I could afford one of yours I'd be straight over to your yard!!!

sport horse

Visit site

I think your figures are quite modest Janet. Luckily many breeders have already cut back both here and in Europe, many indeed giving up completely. Hopefully this will eventually filter down and people will not expect to pay more for their saddle than their horse!

JFTDWS

Visit site
My mare did cost less than her saddle - and that is ludicrous. People must have lost so much money on her - someone probably did put a bit of money into breeding her (she's certainly not come out of a low budget hands-off breeding programme run by a certain demographic), not to mention keeping her to maturity and then being backed by a pro (albeit not one I'd have chosen).

It makes me really sad that horses can be bought for so little really. Though I'm glad I got her, because I didn't have a big budget either. Cognitive dissonance!

emilylou

Visit site
Llanybydder, builth cob sales and leominster sales would have horses in your budget, but they will be young, green and had relatively little handling but if you have the knowledge and want to put the work in you will find a nice horse (as long as you are looking for native/cob type!) be aware though that some tricky horses go through these places so you will need to know what you're looking at