Where to buy manuka honey?

Deltic Blue

Visit site
As above :)

My horse came in with a lovely big open wound on her leg last night after what we think is her kicking out and getting her leg caught in the post and rail fence.
So after 3 hours at the yard, an emergency vet call out, lots of stitching and a big bandage later, I now have a horse on box rest for a considerable amount of time :(

Lots of people have recommended using manuka honey on the wound once it's not bandaged to help it heal.

Where would be the best place to buy it?

If anyone else has any remedies to reduce scaring that would be great too!

Thank you :)

Caramac71

Visit site
You need medical grade manuka honey, and you should be able to buy it from the chemist. If you have a few days before you need it, look inline - it's much cheaper. I bought some from the chemist in an emergency and then stocked up the first aid kit with some bought in eBay.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Yes I've got a few days to get some as it'll stay bandaged for a while yet and I won't start putting it on until it scabs over 😊 I'll have a look on eBay!

pennyturner

Visit site
OP, you don't need special honey. The anti-bacterial effect of honey is due to the concentration of sugar, pure and simple. I used Asda 'so cheap it comes in a plastic pot the size of a bucket' honey on a HUGE shoulder wound following an RTA. Worked a treat.

Clean with copious amounts of salt solution first. Be sure to use vasaline or something similar on the flesh below the wound, to protect it from infection and damage as horse wounds get a bit oozy.

I can also recommend using nappies as dressings. They allow air to the wound, whilst maintaining the moist atmosphere which is perfect for rapid healing. They also come with those handy self-adhesive tabs, and are much cheaper than anything labelled 'equestrian'.

Best of luck.

JustKickOn

Visit site
OP, you don't need special honey. The anti-bacterial effect of honey is due to the concentration of sugar, pure and simple. I used Asda 'so cheap it comes in a plastic pot the size of a bucket' honey on a HUGE shoulder wound following an RTA. Worked a treat.

Clean with copious amounts of salt solution first. Be sure to use vasaline or something similar on the flesh below the wound, to protect it from infection and damage as horse wounds get a bit oozy.

I can also recommend using nappies as dressings. They allow air to the wound, whilst maintaining the moist atmosphere which is perfect for rapid healing. They also come with those handy self-adhesive tabs, and are much cheaper than anything labelled 'equestrian'.

Best of luck.

Medical grade honey is sterile, hence it being medical grade.
Table honeys are not as regulated so the Microbial levels in them are typically a lot higher. Although it may not cause an issue in each case where table honey is used, the risk of introducing an infection to a wound is not one worth taking IMO.

Eta- we considered using Manuka honey on our mare when she went down on the road but decided against it. Instead we used Intrasite gel, as it encourages the wound to heal from the inside out. She hardly has any sign of a scar now apart from when her coat is changing.

Last edited: