Where to do first BE80?

Olliepop

Visit site
Hi everyone - I am making good progress with my mare and we are now heading to the Eland unaffiliated ODE 80cm in mid-August. I also have a couple of BE XC training days booked in over the next couple of Sundays at Aylesford and Solihull. She went XC with me for the first time at Eland camp and did a mix of 80/90 fences on their course. I don't have much XC experience really since my other horse is older and I am careful about not running him on hard ground.

If all goes well at Eland I'd like to enter at least one BE80 this year. Which would be a good one to start with? Venues which are nearby are Keysoe, Sapey, Frickley Park, Brooksby, Little Downham, Broadway and Norton Disney so a lot of choice there! I just want some confidence that I am not going to scare us stupid!!

MardyMare

Visit site
hi - I can only comment on Frickley, Brooksby and Norton Disney. I did all these in my first year BE80. I suppose it depends what suits your horse and if you have any particular issues with any fences. I love Sarahs website Shoestring Eventing - you can look over past courses at all levels. I loved Frickley although I was nervous as felt a couple were 'beefy' however they rode brill. My horse struggled with Brooksby for some reason - its hilly and we just never found our flow. My horse like a few easy flat ones on 1 -4 and then finds her stride. Norton Disney was my favourite - nice easy riding course however very popular.

Good luck :)

Sealine

Visit site
I only do the occassional 80cm unaffiliated ODE and have done a few at Keysoe. At Keysoe they pretty much use the BE 80cm course for unaffiliated which I didn't think was scary. The good thing about Keysoe is the dressage and show jumping is on a surface. The XC course is pretty flat and they've tried to improve the ground this year. The ground is better than it used to be although I still found it a bit hard in places when I was last there at the end of June at a XC clinic.

Good luck whichever you choose to do.