Where to look for a competition (dressage) share?

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Okay, so it's been a while since I posted in here.

Long story short, unfortunately the lovely ex-racer I got from one of my trainers to do dressage with had to go back on Fri as I am moving out of home very soon and to be quite frank, with paying off debt, rent, bills etc, paying for a horse too would've completely rinsed my dry every month so as hard as it was (I was getting on so well with him too :frown3:) I made the decision to give him back and not have my own anymore for the next year or two....

......Which leaves me with a dilemma. Riding and horses are my whole life, I have only been horseless since Fri, I am very lucky in that I have had loads of offers from friends to ride theirs so over the weekend that is what I have done and even had a lesson yesterday with my instructor on one of my friends established dressage pone :smile3:) BUT, despite this and seeing friends, going shopping, reading etc I still feel lost.

I REALLY would like to still ride, school and compete. I just absolutely love schooling horses and need to ride more than 2 days a week which is what I will be doing.

SO, I am going to look for a share/part loan. BUT, preferably I would really like it to be of something established or nearly established, that I can actually learn something from instead of having to bring on. Ideally, I would like to compete too. I don't mind doing stable duties and would offer a small financial contribution too but the trouble is WHERE do I look? All the ads for shares seem to be for cobs (please no one take offence, I LOVE cobs and if it was a decent, well schooled cob then fine but they never seem to be) or really green, baby horses and tbh, the thought of paying someone to school their green horse for them when quite frankly I'll probably never reap the benefits.....well.....I just can't say I'm that bothered about doing that. Plus, I have had green for years now, I really would like to try and find something that I can relax and enjoy and have fun on a bit.

I have had a browse on BD Classifieds but nothing going. I have advertised on my local horsey FB group but am not overly hopeful.

I know I probably sound awful and should just be thankful for anything to ride and I am, but I have always been competitive/ambitious and I can't see myself suddenly being fulfilled with just the odd hack or schooling session for the next year or so. I would also like to continue lessons too.

Anyone any ideas where to look?

Jo_x

Visit site
wherabouts are you? I know of one that might fit your bill, in Surrey. otherwise I think its word of mouth or getting lucky really... trawl ALL the websites, every day so youre quick off the mark if something does come up. try a wanted ad too? if you have some pictures of you being competent you may find people contact you... I have done this in the past and had people contact me who want a sharer but cannot be bothered to deal with all the numpties that reply if they put up an ad!

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Put an ad on preloved.
I did this recently and was very surprised at the response. 14 offers in a week.
Be very specific about what you want. Pics on your advert certainly help.
This is my advert as a ref.......
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/108573642/experienced-rider-available-foc.html

Never thought about Pre-loved, thanks!

Will get an ad with pics on there later! I suppose I didn't put any pics on my FB ad but to be fair, I'm sure they could look at my pics if they wanted to see some pics of me riding. (although actually not sure my privacy settings would allow) Might add some pics to that too.

Thanks

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
wherabouts are you? I know of one that might fit your bill, in Surrey. otherwise I think its word of mouth or getting lucky really... trawl ALL the websites, every day so youre quick off the mark if something does come up. try a wanted ad too? if you have some pictures of you being competent you may find people contact you... I have done this in the past and had people contact me who want a sharer but cannot be bothered to deal with all the numpties that reply if they put up an ad!

Ahh, shame, I'm in Norfolk!

Will try wanted ads in different places, thank you!

fine_and_dandy

Visit site

Where did you put your wanted ad? I am looking for a sharer but weeding the mostly unsuitable people out is tiresome and I was thinking of going through wanted ads but didn't know where to start.

P_P - I know Bailey isn't what you are after in terms of being estate, but I just wanted to make sure you know you are more than welcome to ride him to get your fix while you are looking and even after too :)

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
P_P - I know Bailey isn't what you are after in terms of being estate, but I just wanted to make sure you know you are more than welcome to ride him to get your fix while you are looking and even after too :)

Ahhh thank you m'lovely. Bailey is gorgeous and you know if you ever want/need a hand you only have to shout, he is no trouble to do or ride (when he gives in and develops the attention span of something other than a gnat :biggrin3:)

Jo_x

Visit site
I put mine on preloved and had a few responses. have also used equineadverts, horsesharesuk and a few others but preloved was the only one I had any responses off. my friend had success looking for a loan horse with a wanted ad on horsequest, but I didnt want to pay initially if I could help it!

Bernster

Visit site
Is South Herts too far for you - I know of one for share, think he's at competing novice atm but they have high hopes that he will go far.

miayates1

Visit site
It does take time to find a good share, when I was younger before having my own it took months and months and various shares to find the right one! I find preloved, horsemart and equine adverts. It's also worth putting up a wanted ad as well as responding to adverts as I was contacted by people who weren't advertising :)