Where to purchase ground anchors for a shelter

Spottyappy

Visit site
I purchased a metal mobile shelter, which was great up to Storm Eunice which toppled it over.
Luckily, saved by the hedge, so at some point, when my field is drier,my man with JCB should be able to lower it gently down!
However, I think I now need ground anchors for it, it has the holes for them in each corner.
where ever do you buy these things, man enough, to hopefully hold a large building down, in a storm. It is 12x20’.
All ideas or links appreciated.
TIA.

smolmaus

Visit site
You'd think they would have supplied them with the unit tbh. If you contact the manufacturer they might be able to give you a spec for what they recommend.

Helical ground anchors are available online fairly easily and you can drive them by hand but what kind of loads they need to be rated for is hard to say without knowing what wind speeds you are likely to expect and what kind of ground they're going into.

Anything rated for less than 500kg would give me the heebie jeebies, but that is not professional advice because I don't want to get sued ?

StableMum

Visit site
My shelter's anchors are still firmly in the ground. The shelter itself is currently on its roof waiting to be uprighted. Eunice ripped if right off its skids! And this is a fairly new shelter so the wood wasn't rotten.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
My shelter's anchors are still firmly in the ground. The shelter itself is currently on its roof waiting to be uprighted. Eunice ripped if right off its skids! And this is a fairly new shelter so the wood wasn't rotten.
Our shelter was 6 months old :( so again, not rotten. Our ground anchors were all pulled out of the ground and the metal skids were bent.

SEL

Visit site
My anchors are also still in the ground. The roof was 2 acres away and the shelter is pretty much matchsticks. The loss adjustor said it looked like a bomb had gone off in it.

Mine came from groundbolt.co.uk they are big spikes you bash in with a mallet - much easier than you'd think looking at them

phizz4

Visit site
At the end of the day, if the wind is strong enough, nothing will resist it. Look at the damage caused across the country. Don't just run the straps over the roof, fasten a ratchet strap to solid points on the field shelter. And plant a row of trees as a wind break, that can be very effective.

asmp

Visit site
My anchors are also still in the ground. The roof was 2 acres away and the shelter is pretty much matchsticks. The loss adjustor said it looked like a bomb had gone off in it.

Mine came from groundbolt.co.uk they are big spikes you bash in with a mallet - much easier than you'd think looking at them

Just a thought - do you think having the anchors caused more damage? Would the shelter have just tipped over intact or would it have blown away and been smashed?

SEL

Visit site
Oh and it was 4 mont
Just a thought - do you think having the anchors caused more damage? Would the shelter have just tipped over intact or would it have blown away and been smashed?
I have wondered. I think the whole lot would have gone over but whether it would still have disintegrated I don't know.

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
The demise of my shelter was witnessed. The wind blew it over onto its side and the poor sheep all rushed back inside it. The wind then took it again and rolled it over which smashed it up. Fortunately the sheep were ok, they were very lucky! The ground anchors may have contributed to the metal skids being bent but not to the roof and sides being smashed.