Where would be best to look for riding school ponies?

Blue-bear

Visit site
Where would you guys look for suitable ponies? We are just starting up and need a couple more but as expected some people are funny about selling ponies to a school. I understand completly but were not about to hammer the little things into the ground, believe me. At a absolute max they will do 2 hours a day and that wouldnt be everyday by any stretch. Also looking for a couple of bigger chunkier types, so please shout if you know of any and for a reasonable price of course
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Thanksies

b0508

Visit site
It depends on how big you are wanting,how much your budget is and also if they are going to be used for begginers or the more able riders or if you want ones that can do it all

gails

Visit site
A lot of exsisiting riding schools often sell ponies on ( granted not their best ones), hate to say the word but if you find a reputable one, a dealer

Blue-bear

Visit site
Yeah had thought about a dealer, and seen some nice ponies advertised with a few, but would rather not go down that route unless we have too.
I have a couple of more experienced ponies that will be better for the better riders...mainly in that they arent kinck alongs but at the same time they are not silly or too lively.
So really could do with a couple of smaller ponies that are kick alongs for the begginer children...i dont even mind taking on something thats a bit older really as long as fit a healthy....
Am also wary of ones that are for sale from riding schools as i wonder why they are being sold..

Snowysadude

Visit site
What about looking for ones that are up for perminant loan as beginner ponies! I know 3 or 4 people on our yard who either have horses already out on perminant loan or are putting them out as they have outgrown them but dont want to sell as they were their first pony! I know at least one of them would loan to a riding school! Just a thought anyway
smile.gif

hellyhorse

New User
Visit site
Hi - I too have a riding school and have exactly the same problem .... people don´t want to sell to riding schools .. when it comes down to it I have to legally look after any horses in my charge ... I have license inspections, vet inspections, records for farrier, dentist, worming and vacs all checked the safety of the yard not only for visitors and clients but also for the horses. They have regular exercise, a good routine, and have fun at shows, hunting, and pony club ! They are my team and if the team is sad, ill or lame then we don´t earn .. simple and apart fron the fact that I personally pamper all my horses and ponies and adore every one ! Can´t see to see the problem people have selling to a school.. some have a far better life than some private homes ! Find yourself a good dealer and they will gradually get to know you and the types you like and will then phone you ! Good luck .. with your school !

Blue-bear

Visit site
Thank you, this is exactly what i mean and you have written it in a much better way than i did. And thanks for the luck, were really hoping its going to take off.

So, im in Bucks area so if anyone knows of any reputable dealers, ponies for sale/loan i would appreciate it. I am willing to travel of course
smile.gif

LisaHughes

Visit site
I don't know why people are so sniffy about riding schools as homes for ponies. I have a "spare" 13hh pony that was getting too feral living with us, turned out & not being handled enough. He has been on loan to a riding school since June & it has been the making of him as he thrives on the busy environment - it works for them too as he's very smart looking, v cuddly, snaffle mouthed yet not dead to the leg, with a terrific jump. I do need to sell him at some point and don't want a vast amount for him as I bought him as a cheap youngster, but he will be much easier to sell with the riding school experience under his belt! (PM if you might be interested in him as he's only in Oxon)

Kat

Visit site
If you have a good reputation locally you shouldn't have too much trouble. But I guess if you are new to the game it might be more difficult. Our YO gets ponies offered to her all the time! And a lot have in the past been pretty sucessful competition ponies.

You could try contacting the local pony clubs, they may know of people with children looking to move up who will want to sell the old pony, or maybe loan it until the younger sibling is big enough.

Ask around at shows too, and cultivate relationships with dealers other riding schools etc You might be able to get ponies that come in to dealers before they are advertised, especially if they need a quick sale. You may also be able to get leads from other riding schools or pick up ponies they simply don't have room for.

I agree completely that selling to a riding school is not as bad an option as many believe. The care is of a suitable standard, the facilities are normally pretty good, they get plenty of work and can easily be visited and checked on!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
agree we used to get a lot of oldies that weren't up to competing anymore and were outgrown.

They were fab as they had normally done lots of pony club etc so were well schooled and generally loved the activity and the fuss.

We also acquired a few from the local slaughters, as I remember he sometimes got ponies from deceased estates and he would try and find alternative homes for them. One set in particular was a welsh mare and her son and daughter, mare went to be a first pony and son and daugter did take a bit of work but fab ponies.