Where you began riding? Me, Whiteleaf...

niagaraduval

Visit site
I had my first ever lesson at Blewbury stables in Oxfordshire run by Jane (Who I'm sure still runs it !!!), it cost too much so my mum sent to to Oday hill (called stonehill I think ?) In Abingdon, the riding lessons were awful, I even remember riding a lame horse where I rode for years until eventually going to another riding school in Cholsey, can't remember the name though, I rode there for around a year before going back to Blewbury. Years later I bought my own horses.

The place was nice although a bit shoddy.

I really miss old riding stables.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I used to hang around and generally be a pest at a riding school near Princes Risborough - can't remember the name - far too long ago now, and then I toddled off to boarding school in Yorkshire where most of the girls had ponies and (as my parents were often overseas - dad in the RAF) I spent weekends at theirs, clinging on for dear life. In addition, the stately pile that was my school (Rise Hall in case any of you have seen Sarah Beeny's show Restoration Nightmare) had a working stable block attached in which the Bethell family (who owned the house) kept their hunters, pointers and racers. The racers were never turned out, but the hunters were - in a field very close to the house . . . and we used to coax them alongside the fence and clamber on them bareback and "ride" them around the paddock (how we didn't die I don't know . . . those horses were saints).

Years later, having spent a long spell in the States away from horses, we moved back to the UK and bought a cottage right next to a livery yard and in walking distance from a very good riding school. It wasn't long before daughter and I started having proper lessons at Rycroft School of Equitation (sounds posh, right!). My assessment lesson was on Stan - a huuuuuuuge grey with a corkscrew buck. There was Tommy the confidence giving cob. Rocky (owned by the same family as Tommy) who scared me witless at first but who I came to love deeply. Darcy, Dillon, Nimbus, Sonny, Maverick - rode all of them and loved them. Daughter had her own favourites . . . little Gemma (strawberry roan Sec A saint), Molly, Sapphire, Whisper, Lily (all mares!).

Rycroft is still going . . . I follow them on FB and it's nice to see them thriving. The staff there (most of whom have moved on now) taught me an awful lot and led me (ultimately) to my beautiful boy - who I wouldn't be without.

P

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
Yep - Jane Dexter still runs it. I imagine the riding school part has not changed much. She always has nice horses for sale though. I bought my piebald boy from her and he's been wonderful, although I dread to think how little she paid for him when he was a 4 yr old!

I had my first ever lesson at Blewbury stables in Oxfordshire run by Jane (Who I'm sure still runs it !!!), it cost too much so my mum sent to to Oday hill (called stonehill I think ?) In Abingdon, the riding lessons were awful, I even remember riding a lame horse where I rode for years until eventually going to another riding school in Cholsey, can't remember the name though, I rode there for around a year before going back to Blewbury. Years later I bought my own horses.

The place was nice although a bit shoddy.

I really miss old riding stables.

Bay TB

Visit site
Anyone here from Sheffield ?

Clough Fields, Sheffield - had 3 lessons in one year, parents were skint, rode Peanuts and still got bump on foot from her standing on it all them years ago.

Spring Vale, Sheffield - loved Sandy and Crystal

Millview, Sheffield - now closed down, Muffin was my favourite, did my work experience here, lugging bales of hay/straw around at 14 and climbing on haystacks when no-one else would. Constantly got put on Beauty for some reason.

Smeltings Farm, Sheffield - best place ever for me with the two bestest ponies Bravo and Domino, worked here for 3 years

I went to Millview in Fullwood between about 1988 and 1994, spent every Saturday there! My favourites were Dollar and Nutmeg but remember Muffin, Billy, Heidi, Dicken, Kismet, Comet, Sweetie, Beauty and others.
Best memories are from bringing the ponies in from the fields in the morning riding one bareback and leading one or two and galloping through the woods! Instructors were Alison (who I think is now at Smeltings Farm) and Sally.
I have a couple of friends who have horses on livery now at Smeltings.

apachediamond

Visit site
i started on a little shetland called Kizzy. i had some lessons at Carnelly's at Hellaby before it all became Hellaby Hall Hotel then had lessons for a few years at Massarella's in brookhouse, Cabbage and Ferdi we're my favourites. I then got my own pony but still hacked over there for lessons from Thurcroft.

LillyBeth

Visit site
I learnt to ride with a friend of my Mum's but she moved away so I then went to Pinkmead riding stables which is in Botley, Hampshire. It's still going v strong there :) lots of memories of the ponies there! I was a bit spoilt though and didn't stay there long, got my first pony quite young.

And now with university I ride at Wellington Riding near Basingstoke/Reading. Absolutely love Welly and am probably more emotional to leave my favourite instructor and those horses than I am about leaving uni in general haha.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was lucky enough to have my own pony from when I was 2... Riding and horses are seriously in my blood!
But, I also did many an hour at a few RS. The first being the horses and ponies at Knighton House School, Dorset. I remember Scamp, Polo, RobRoy, Jammy and Peri, Quest and Honey to name a few.
I was at Knighton too, but I suspect at an earlier era than you :D '68-'70. There was a Honey, a belligerent chesnut mare who I adored, and Silhouette, Spritely, Fudge, Toby Jug, Sean, and Inky (owned by the Booker's daughter Serena, who was later tragically murdered abroad).

Miss Handy taught riding (and maths!). It was a lovely, idyllic time in red dungarees. The real world came as a bit of a shock later on.

mirage

Visit site
We had a laminitic shetland on the farm when we were little,but were sent to Dobson's now known as Centaur Stud at Cold Newton,Leics.I can only remember 3 ponies,Rusty,Dusty and a big Piebald who I hacked through Baggrave Park,called Smokey Joe.

I went back there when the hunt met there last year,and it hadn't changed at all.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I started riding at Whiteleaf stables, way back in the early 80s. I have no real memory of it except my horse was a large grey and I liked him. I just remember trotting around and around, we eventually moved to Deep Deen stables in Challock, there my horse was called Smokey Joe, it was here I learned to canter. Soon after we got our own pony and stopped going to schools. It is only as an adult I have taken up lessons again.

smokey

Visit site
Whitegates Riding School, Blairingone near Dollar. My favourites were two very sweet bay ponies, Brandy and Ben :)

i learned at whitegates! Moyna was a fantastic teacher (still is!) I rode Susie, a little grey Connie, who could jump the moon. Moyna still had her up until a few years ago, goodness knows how old she was!
i learned as a young adult, 35 yes ago now! I remember twinkle, Freddie, and bobby, who was her daughters horse. My greatest source of pride was being allowed to ride bobby in a lesson.
moyna also had a lovely big grey mare, whose name escapes me now.

Sologirl

Visit site
Ruston riding stables, North Yorkshire - brilliant place. I don't think it's there any more, but I ended up buying my favourite from there as my first pony and he was just the best :) He was Teddy - there was also Matilda (tricky black mare, grumpy sod with massive ears), Bike (palomino with lots of sarcoids), Bertha, Cocoa (we had him for 2 winters and he bolted with my sister on the beach) gosh...that's all I can remember! :( It'd be 25 years ago now.

Sologirl

Visit site
Then we moved back down to lincs and I REALLY learned to ride at Bakers (Park Riding School), and did my riding test at Rednil, Welton.

:D

I lived in the house next door to Park Riding stables, and rode there a few times with uni riding society 2002-2006 :)

Pie's mum

Visit site
Did anyone else learn at Pakefield Riding School in Lowestoft? I had my first ride there in 1981 aged 2 on a tiny black pony called William and my brother rode Ollie, a very odd looking flea bitten grey / spotty pony. We used to ride there in the summers when we were back in the uk, horses I remember were Junior, copper, peter, pan and Turpin from the early years.
Later on when we moved back to the UK I used to help out on Saturdays. I adored a black dales pony called Dandy, he was a proper gent and went on to a grand old age. Other horses I remember were Turmeric, another legend, he was a sway backed palamino who used to bite, Harvey, Sonnet, Hamish, Polly and so many more. I remember jumping cavalettti with cups of water in my hands, jumping bareback on a little mare called poppet and falling off all the time because she used to really ping. Once I fell head first into a water trough in the corner of the school.
I was part of the first vaulting team and we used to do displays at local fetes. Very happy memories!

arlosmum

Visit site
i started on a little shetland called Kizzy. i had some lessons at Carnelly's at Hellaby before it all became Hellaby Hall Hotel then had lessons for a few years at Massarella's in brookhouse, Cabbage and Ferdi we're my favourites. I then got my own pony but still hacked over there for lessons from Thurcroft.
Wow! Apachediamond!! Those names are a blast from the past! My sister had some lessons at Massarellas with Jill Liggins I believe. She loved Trinidad a beautiful bay about 15hh. As this was the late 70s was allowed to hack out alone on him.

vocalist

Visit site
I started riding at Norwood Green Riding Stables in Southall, locally known as Gloria's, but spent most of my time riding friends horses and learnt more from friends who had stables in Newport Pagnell until Milton Keynes swallowed it up - spent many happy weekends there riding a dappled grey Welsh Section D called Silver - happy days! I went on to Park Farm School of Riding, Northwood Hills to train for my BHSAI but had to leave due to a back injury. Some years later, I kept my own horse back at Gloria's which had become a Livery Yard, now closed and re-developed into housing :(

eggs

Visit site
I started at Caldecote Farm in Bushey, Herts aged 7 in 1969. My instructor was called Gail and I rode a little grey pony called Tosca - it must have made big impression on my as I remember is so well.

After a year or so I then moved to riding at Park Farm in Northwood. I can remember my first lesson there but not the name of the pony or instructor but the school I rode in became the car park behind the stables not long afterwards. The big thrill was being able to ride the ponies bareback whilst leading a couple of others out to their field at the end of the day.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Hall Place on the edge of Reading in the early 90s. My afvourite ponies were Twinkle, Sherman and Webster. Hall Place is still going, in fact it seems to be going stronger than it was then.

chahala

Visit site
Me too in the 60s

Little Linda and Mrs G. I can remember Toffee, Treacle and Caramel and a Bronwyn.

Then up to the 'Seniors' A fierce man in the office whose name I forgot but he had two dogs Whiskey and Soda. An instructor called Nick who broke all the rules but was truly inspirational. Horses; Tension, Glacier, Cobweb, Nova and Buckingham.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
I started at a place run by a lady called Joanna up by Durno in Aberdeenshire for about 2 months , then got 'placed' at Hayfield for a week whilst my parents moved house, and was there from theron in till 96.. Back then it was very much get on and deal with it! I had 2 faves, Hi-Fi and Beau...Both stubborn, small horses with a lovely jump that they hated using and would make sure I hit the deck at least double figures before they would go over...Someone loves a trier!

Annagain

Visit site
So glad I found this thread today. I'm about to take my niece for her first lesson at the City of Cardiff Riding School this afternoon for her 5th birthday treat. When I told her yesterday she had tears in her eyes and just stared at me open mouthed. She's sat on my boys (16.3 and 17hh!) for a walk around the school and loves "bouncy bouncing" (the 5 strides of trot she's done!) but not ridden as such before. I wonder if she'll be posting on a thread like this in 20 years time!

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Harrogate Equestrian Centre, Major Birtwhistle ! Started on a pony called Cream Soda, but other were Merry, Snipe, Sparten and Gem. I was very tall for my age, and felt very important when Major B 'promoted me' to horses and my absolute favourite was called Billy Bland. Still got shouted at though. A lot.

GeeBee45

Visit site
It seems such a long time ago, started at the Torbay Chalet Riding School attached to a privately owned version of Hi De Hi!!

First time I went it was truly pouring down and the poor instructor spent ages trying to convince me that I really didn't want to go out for a lead reign hack. Being a stubborn seven we went and got truly soaked, I was back the following week, although the weather was a little drier. Seem to recall the two main instructors were Jayne and Barbra. Ponies I remember were; Sherry, Safari and Vodka, the latter bit and kicked like a good 'un but was fantastic to ride.
Two friends; Debbie and Sam started riding there, they continued long after I moved up to Gloucestershire.
Had to go back to Torquay recently; sadly the stables and camp have been turned into an expensive looking housing estate.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I started riding at Courtlands in Todds Green near Stevenage, Herts age 9 and used to ride Kim & Cilla, I then went on to ride at Contessas in ware where my favourites were Worthwile & Apollo.

Sealine

Visit site
I learnt at Lilly Riding School in Lilley, Bedfordshire in the mid 1970s.
I remember that there was no school but you had to be lunged with no reins or stirrups to start with and then progressed to hacking out on the lead rein. Finally you were allowed off the lean rein and progressed to cantering.
Pony names I can remember are Moonlight and Starlight.

I too learnt at Lilley Riding School, probably between 1972/3 and 1979. I also remember Moonlight and Starlight as well as Playboy, Trigger, Minstrel, Scout and Aladdin. My favourite was Little Girl, a piebald pony. The instructors were Denise and Adrian.

The owner, Auntie Joy as she was known, was quite scary. I remember her shouting instructions from her bedroom window. I used to do 'duty weekend'. This involved me and one other girl staying at the farmhouse from Friday night to Sunday night and doing all the chores i.e. bringing horses in, grooming, tacking-up etc and cleaning about 15 sets of tack on Saturday evening. We had to take and cook our own food. I was about 10 years old at the time and in return I got a half price one hour hack! Wouldn't be allowed these days but I loved it!

attheponies

Visit site
I started in 1964 at Crossways in Orpington run by a scary lady (well she was to me!) called Vonnie. First pony I rode was Ginger but other favourites were Limerick, Mischief, Patch and Barley. After that it was Chelsfield (Sunday, Grey and Cobweb) then Priscilla's at Cudham (Misty, Matchmaker, Socrat, Lonesome and Little Joe) Happy Days!

katherinef

Visit site
Birch Hall in Oldham

1983 or thereabouts £3 an hour

ponies Dolly, Lucky, Duke, Glenn, Breeze (fell off her riding my first canter) Jacob, Dancer, Penny, Gypsy

remember like it was yesterday