Where you began riding? Me, Whiteleaf...

Doncella

Visit site
I had my first lessons at Nightingale Riding Stables in Buckhurst Hill, Essex. And here I am on a pony called Smokey Joe. No, I don't know why I was on such a wee pony either! ;)

SmokeyJoe1.jpg

(No crit, please! I was 10 and it was 1973!)

Dig the bitting on this pony!!

Doncella

Visit site
Going back to the 60s here. Fagley near Bradford was a lovely little stables called Radcliffe Riding School and belonged to a lovely old lady called Mrs Oliphant. The ponies/horses were Gayboy, Cha Cha, Omar, Heather, Topaz, Shelagh, Andy, a few others and Lilliput the donkey.
Next off was Thorton, a farm on the top of a hill,ponies/horses were Red, Cobweb, Brandy, Flash these were actually a cracking set of jumping ponies, Silver, another Topaz, Shelley, Soldao (a 4 yo stallion that Josephine and I aged 12 and 11 used to share) and Otto.

Boxers

Visit site
I started at Tinsley's Riding School in Clapham, Bedford.

My first lesson was on a pretty bay called Kerry. I think I rode him for my first few lessons. A favourite was Candy a cross little black gelding, who no-one wanted to ride but I loved him. Others were Gypsy, a mareish bay, Charlie, a bay hunter with a white face similar to Ryan's Son, Rebel, a very shy Exmoor, Sovereign, a dapple grey, and everyone's favourite Icarus (Icky) who was white and was the same age as me, he had been the instructior's first pony and was kept for life. These are just a few that I can remember.

I used to be there every saturday from about 7.30am until about 6pm, and on Sunday mornings too, helping with grooming, feeding, cleaning tack etc. I loved it, and helping out often earned a free ride if a pony was spare.

These were the days of cork lined velvet hats with elastic straps which it was uncool to wear under your chin!

Pipkin

Visit site
The first time I rode I was three and at the Royal Welsh :D

Had my first real riding lesson when I was 4 at Pant y Sais riding school (now a livery yard only) Rode a lovely grey called Cloud, first time I ever cantered i was so scared i jumped off, hit the ground running and didnt stop until i was a good half a mile from the scary pony :D My nan literally dragged me back kicking and screaming told me to grow a pair (not in them words) and I`ve never looked back.
Started riding at Cimla Equestrain when i was about seven, I was one of their 1 st custmers and they`ve gone from around 10 horses to 90 :)

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
I can't remember the name of the place, it was somewhere in Central Scotland, ramshakle old buildings, place belonged to an oldish fella who'd been in the army - Colonel something ... the stables were old wooden train cargo compartments (or whatever you call them!), he had loads of ponies, the first one I rode was a small liver chestnut pony called Kipper, I can't remember any more names! Oh and there was a huuuuuuuugge building with a smooth concrete floor that was used as an indoor school!

I didn't go there for long though, and eventually started going to Myothill Farm just outside of Denny. Rode there for years, and kept my first pony there.

ibot

Visit site
well i am not sure which one came first i was at a place called suzannes which was i think in hertfordshire it was a great yard and i have vague memories of being taking for a lead lesson on a little brown pony and he bent down to eat some grass and i rolled off his neck :eek::D
i think i was about 3/4 years old :)

god that takes me back quite a few years ago now :D

haycroft

Visit site
my parents are non horsy and they took me to a riding school somewhere in forset hill oxfordshire,so many years ago 1970s..got my first pony in the 80s

my uncles brother had ponies on the welsh moors and thats where i got the love of ponies from age approx 4/5 and then my allergies started from that day..yes im allergic to horses(dust,haair,straw ,hay) its got easier over the years though

azouria

Visit site
yes im allergic to horses(dust, hair, straw,hay)

Me too, it's so irritating!

I used to ride at Waylands in Seer Green before it was taken over and turned into a posh livery yard. The pony I used to ride, Jimmy, was the only thing small enough for me to ride, and the number of times he carted off with me. But I did love him :D

tibby

Visit site
Hi I began riding at my aunt's riding school, " Willow Farm " in Ormesby St Margaret near Gt Yarmouth in Norfolk, I was three at the time we wore scratchy cavalry twill jods and lace up shoes, this was nearly 47 years ago, my aunt is still teaching youngsters to ride, she did, and still does shout like a sargent major no one argued with her, we all loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enfys

Visit site
Cheston Farm nr South Brent in Devon, early 80's. I still pop by there when I am down there. It has changed hands a few times and the original owner has long since earned her wings, though I am still in contact with her niece.

Health and safety... what health and safety... :D

I used to compete at Cheston in the early 90's !

I can't remember the first RS, somewhere in Bristol in the late 60's.

Then Devenish Pitt in Farway, Devon for a bit (still going strong and still in the Banks family) and riding was in the syllabus at school (Manor House, Honiton)

Jumping was at the Newburys place in Exeter with Tony.

Last edited:

monkeybum13

Visit site
I learnt to ride at White Cat Stables, Bristol on an ancient bay pony called Kelly and a dun pony called Jumbo.

I remember the riding school very clearly as it wasn't that long ago that I went! (approx 14yrs ago which is nothing compared to some of you! )

daydreambeliever

Visit site
I learnt to ride at Russells equestrian center in West End, Southampton. It was in the late 70's, i think there was a pony called Allegro there and lessons were about £1.75 per hour :eek:

rowan

Visit site
First time I rode was at a riding school in Datchworth run by the Bultitude's. Use to be down there first thing in the morning till it was dark taking the ponies back to the field and getting them ready for the lessons etc.
Then we moved to near Tring and use to help out at a Hastoe Hill Equestrian Centre as it was called in the sixties after school and weekends. Those where the days when kids where aloud to hang around the yards if they got kicked or anything where just told you will have to learn to move quicker :)

Muchadoaboutnothing

Visit site
Mine was at Suzannes Riding School in Harrow Weald :D

Let me think who I remember pony wise . . . . Zedwyn, Black Magic, Sambo, Pip, Blossom, Cuckoo, Nutmeg and Peanuts to mention a few. O and good old Ursula telling you who you were riding!

attheponies

Visit site
I started in the early 60's at Crossways, Orpington (always just known as "Vonnie's" after the owner). Had to wear my sister's hat stuffed with hankies to make it fit (oh the shame when one of the hankies fell out during a lesson!). Loved walking up to Jane's fish & chip shop for luch when we were helping there. Fave ponies were Limerick, Ginger, Tosca, Mischief and Barley. Hacking was naff - right on a busy crossroads but to me it was a little bit of heaven.

billy2

Visit site
Dougalsmum, not only do I remember it but I went out with Graham (you did get the name right). Those stables are now a smallholding, Graham still lives around the corner in Osiers Road, and Whiteleaf Stables is now next door. where the stud farm used to be, if you remember that. I work there!

ibot

Visit site
Mine was at Suzannes Riding School in Harrow Weald :D

Let me think who I remember pony wise . . . . Zedwyn, Black Magic, Sambo, Pip, Blossom, Cuckoo, Nutmeg and Peanuts to mention a few. O and good old Ursula telling you who you were riding!

when were you there?? i could not remember when i was as i said i rode there when i was very little then i went back when i was maybe 13ish.
i use to stay and help out, do you remember they had that big indoor school where all the ponies were and i use to help people groom and do feet etc :D
black magic rings a bell :eek:

superted1989

Visit site
I learnt to ride at White Cat Stables, Bristol on an ancient bay pony called Kelly and a dun pony called Jumbo.

I remember the riding school very clearly as it wasn't that long ago that I went! (approx 14yrs ago which is nothing compared to some of you! )

Blimey, Jumbo must have been ancient! I didn't 'learn' to ride there, but, used to go for lessons whilst visiting my grandparents, think I rode Jumbo every time and would have been between 1977 and 1982! The instructor there was fabulous, I would have liked her to relocate to the Isle of Wight!!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I bought my first UK pony from Charville Riding School in Hillingdon around 1978'ish, Middlesex. I also kept a couple at Mick Jupp's Goulds Green yard for a while.

Hi Spyda

I rode at Charville when I was about 5 years old - 1975. I rode a little bay called Lucky. My sister worked there and kept a horse called Star - my sister would have been around 20yrs old she may have left by 1978 (memory a bit hazy) as she went on to teach riding on Camp America and has lived in the USA ever since.

Also rode at Ferring Riding School, West Sussex from 1977 - 1980 run by Bob and Brenda Wilmer before getting own pony. Later rode a Cobham Manor, Kent about 1998 - 2000 when getting back into riding after Uni/ job etc.

Muchadoaboutnothing

Visit site
when were you there?? i could not remember when i was as i said i rode there when i was very little then i went back when i was maybe 13ish.
i use to stay and help out, do you remember they had that big indoor school where all the ponies were and i use to help people groom and do feet etc :D
black magic rings a bell :eek:

I was also a 'helper'! lol Was about 89-94ish.

Black Magic used to be stabled next to a little shettie called Peter who was ancient :D

Ahh and 'mini school' where the ponies were kept.

Snoozinsusan

Visit site
I learned to ride at Margaret's Mill in Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire. Dinky was my favourite pony. I can also remember Prince and Princess. Ponies had real pony names in those days! I later had my first ponies there - Topsy then Dirty Dick :rolleyes:.
I also rode at Greenloaning, did the BHSAI at Yorkshire Riding Centre, and worked at Tower Farm in Edinburgh.

duckling

www.facebook.com
I learnt at Greenacres in Biggin Hill, Kent from early 1990s to 1999. Favourites were Squirrel, Charlie, Penny, Toby, Honey, Promise... Then the yard shut down (has since reopened) so went to Chelsfield Riding School in Orpington. Loved it, and spent all my Saturdays helping out for free rides, then worked weekends there for a bit. Favourites there were Dougal, Dillon, Jessie, Lady, Thomas, Rhonwen, Merlin, Teddy... Only left when parents finally consented and found me a horse to share! :)

monkeybum13

Visit site
Blimey, Jumbo must have been ancient! I didn't 'learn' to ride there, but, used to go for lessons whilst visiting my grandparents, think I rode Jumbo every time and would have been between 1977 and 1982! The instructor there was fabulous, I would have liked her to relocate to the Isle of Wight!!

Bless him, I went in 1997 so that's at least 20 yrs he was at the riding school for!

blitznbobs

Visit site
I learnt to ride at Pam Rigby's (Mobberley RIding School) in CHeshire. I rode there in the late 70s and the horses I remember most were Joey (who I was in love with) Pebbles and Robin.... And Taktro (Sp) who was a MASSIVE bigblack horse (well when I was 5 I thought he was massive and I remember one of the staff leading me round the yard on him and feeling like the Queen of the world!)

BnBx

kerilli

Visit site
ooh, good thread. Top Farm Riding School at Great Doddington near Wellingborough, Northants, in my case, from about 1974-1980, till I got my own pony, finally.
Ponies: Cavalier (my absolute favourite), Moonlight, Cobweb (who hated me, and I hated him, he was EVIL to me, always bucked me off, 3 times in 1 lesson once), Honey, her daughters Nectar and Castana, the lovely Star (who we tried to buy, but they wouldn't sell him), a lovely big grey who I adored and I'm ashamed to say I can't remember his name... loads more I can't remember.
we did bareback cowboys and indians, round the world, thread the needle, all sorts of daft stuff. i spent 6 months only allowed on the lunge too, quite hard-core for a kid!

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
Did we not do this one a few months ago.
I was at Tarduf riding school in central scotland. Penny Ritson was the instructor, aussie woman called Penny Ritson, she had the most stunning big chestnut called Jacobite, i think that is where i fell for the colour first. The other ponies were Flash, kim, rusty, thelwell, plum, timpani, misty, tosca. great memories of that place. This was in the early 70's.

Last edited:

miss_c

Visit site
I learnt at White Cat as well. Worked there in the holidays for Paula, and still see her every weekend now she's sold up.

Jumbo was put down in about 1999, aged over 30, Kelly went about a year later, again over 30 years old.