Where's the best place to look for a cheap ridable companion?

kezz86

Visit site
I'm in the South West (Wiltshire) and I've looked all over the place and cannot find anything.

I'll consider almost anything although I'd like it to be able to live out all year round so needs to be fairly hardy (although will be rugged/ fed if required of course) so no TBs.

Anything from 14hh (stocky to carry 10stone) to 16.2hh considered.

Don't mind manageable health problems (although not willing to bute everyday) but would prefer a sensible temperament as when I'm away the people looking after horse will not be overly experienced (but learning everyday!). Saying that I would also consider a sensible youngster/ project.

First job for horse is companion but would then be a happy hacker. Does not have to perfect I'm flexible...

If anyone fancies browsing and having a look for me I', based in Westbury, Wilts and have a limited budget. As in very limited (£300 perhaps a bit more if the ideal horse or if it includes tack).

I only have a limited budget as this is not planned I've had to move yards on short notice and only place I can find has no company for my mare. Yes I can afford the up keep of a second horse (or even third horse!) I have started saving but this budget is for my companion not for my next riding horse... if that makes sense!?

So any thoughts on where to look guys?

Thanks in advance yummy breakfast smoothies available if you'd like some!

WelshD

Visit site
Hesitantly I would suggest Dragon Driving. It's reasonably easy to sort out the numpties with early broken green horses and the genuine sellers. It's not an ideal site but it will give you the most choice for your budget I think. Both of my ponies were advertised on there and came from a nice family - not all the sellers are bad. You can see from the pics usually the sort of home the horse is in.
Next choice would be a local horsey Facebook group

Or how about loaning?

MrsElle

Visit site
Have you thought about WHW? They do have riding horses available for loan. Have a look at their website, although give them a ring too as not all their available horses are on the site :)

kezz86

Visit site
Hesitantly I would suggest Dragon Driving. It's reasonably easy to sort out the numpties with early broken green horses and the genuine sellers. It's not an ideal site but it will give you the most choice for your budget I think. Both of my ponies were advertised on there and came from a nice family - not all the sellers are bad. You can see from the pics usually the sort of home the horse is in.
Next choice would be a local horsey Facebook group

Or how about loaning?

Yes, I'd also consider loaning but so many people have their own "rules" you need to stick with and different ways of managing their horses that I'd have to find the right owner as well as the right horse...

Also I'd hate to get attached to something only to have it taken away again :(

BUT I would consider loaning if everything was right...

I haven't looked at Horseworld yet I'll take a look now.

Thanks I've had a look in my area at DD but most of the horses are too "nice" and expensive which is good for DD really but annoying since I'm looking! lol
Thanks!

Last edited:

Polos Mum

Visit site
I'd have a look at the national charities, blue cross, WHW, redwings etc. they loan lots of nice happy hackers and you don't have the loan worry about them being taken away from you like you might with a private loan. Blue cross were even doing a scheme where they paid your vacs, wormers etc.

kezz86

Visit site
Not looked at Equine Market watch so I'll have a look now!

I would like to go to the New Forest pony sales but I'm not able to take time off of work at the moment to go :(

Skyebald

Visit site
Lluest Horse and Pony Trust had one they were desperately trying to find a loan home for the other day. They are based West Wales. 14 hh safe ride

OWLIE185

Visit site
Your budget is far too small for a safe weight carrier to ride out on. I would suggest a budget of £3,000.

kezz86

Visit site
Your budget is far too small for a safe weight carrier to ride out on. I would suggest a budget of £3,000.

If you read my OP I don't say "safe weight carrier". I'm flexible on all sorts can be young, can have "manageable" health issues. Also it doesn't need to be a "weight carrier" I'm 10 stone that's hardly heavy weight! I said "sturdy" meaning if it's a pony it needs to not be a lightweight one so that it can carry (in my opinion) a small ish adult.

Thanks helpful...

And just FYI my current horse was only £600 and she's more than just a happy hack, we've done SJ, XC and side-saddle. In fact I've never paid more than £1000 for a "nice" horse to hack and do RC things with. So thanks for the "suggestion".

Sorry if I come across a bit abruptly but I'm not asking if my budget is big enough...

Last edited:

kezz86

Visit site
Who says thoroughbreds can't live out?

No one but unless I found the "right TB" I'd have to pump it full of food in the winter I had a lovely tb about 5 years ago (sadly she had to be pts due to bad injury in the field) and she needed a good amount of feeding in the winter and she lived in...

It's just hard to get right if you don't know the horse... (not totally ruling out the tb but not top of my list) Sorry I know there are some lovely ones out there!

kezz86

Visit site
Lluest Horse and Pony Trust had one they were desperately trying to find a loan home for the other day. They are based West Wales. 14 hh safe ride

Thanks Skyebald I'll Google them and see.

I'm going to see a horse on Saturday that on paper sounds like exactly what I want so we shall see! Not going to say too much in case I jinx it! :D

WelshD

Visit site
Awh he looks lovely but cannot be turned out with mares :(

I would double check that maybe. I cant see a reason why a horse gelded so long ago would be a problem with mares, perhaps his write up was done in Feb when there may have been some swimmers still knocking around

kezz86

Visit site
Looking at a free horse on Saturday and had a few others pop up here and there but still trying to keep my options open at the moment, as ideally I'd like to be offering a home for life so although I'm needing a companion asap I need to know it's right for all involved.

Any other websites/ magazines/ papers people can recommend?

Thank for those recommending the charities I will when I get five minutes call them and have a chat.

It's been madness as I'm trying to get the fields ready and "horse safe".

Also whilst I'm here asking, what do people use to put their water in, in the fields if no tough available any genius ideas?

I will eventually have a plumbed trough put in but short term what big water holding vessels do people use?

I'm thinking an old bath, do you think that's safe? I have a feeling two horses will go through big buckets too quickly in hot weather (if we ever get any!).

kezz86

Visit site
I would double check that maybe. I cant see a reason why a horse gelded so long ago would be a problem with mares, perhaps his write up was done in Feb when there may have been some swimmers still knocking around

I'm going to try to call them at lunchtime today and see what they say...

kezz86

Visit site
Thanks Skyebald I'll Google them and see.

I'm going to see a horse on Saturday that on paper sounds like exactly what I want so we shall see! Not going to say too much in case I jinx it! :D

So I went to see a lovely 13 yr Irish sports horse gelding on Saturday and have agree to take him!!!

I'm now just trying to arrange transport. If any one can recommend a reasonably priced and good transport company please let me know!

Hoping he'll be here with me by Saturday! Yippee!