Which are the best horse charities?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Want to leave large amount of money to help equines so which are the best and most reliable charities? Small ones seem to struggle and need money but may not even be still in existence when I pop my clogs.

dixie

Visit site
Prince Fluffy Kareem - fantastic charity for horses in Egypt and lots of info on their Facebook page - does make me cry a lot though. I've just literally set up a £20pm standing order to sponsor a horse.
https://www.princefluffykareem.co.uk/

If you're looking for a more UK based one then Mare and Foal Sanctuary in Totnes, Devon do a lot of good work -the title is a bit misleading as they don't just deal with mare and foals.
https://www.mareandfoal.org/

Last edited:

AFB

Visit site
Anoter vote for PFK

Personally I think the Blue Cross are quite wasteful as a charity and I'd like to see my money go to good, practical use. I'm not condeming their work in any way as I do think they're fantastic in that respect, but don't agree with some of their spending.

Amye

Visit site
A local one to me is Hope Pastures in Leeds. Don't know if you want to leave to a small charity if you're not local but I attend their tack sales and I volunteered there on and off for a few years in the past and everyone who runs it is lovely and put their heart and soul into working with the horses and ponies. Recently they have come into a bit more money and have loads more facilities than when I first started. They have lots of volunteers who help. As they are small 95p of every £1 donated goes directly to the animals.

I really rate them as you can tell :) They're been going for years and keep getting better so I can't see them closing :)

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Am giving to PFK after discovering it on HH thread, have previously donated to the Brooke but was bombarded afterwards with stuff which could pressurise some people (not me). I prefer smaller hands-on charities where I'm not funding swanky offices, high executive salaries and juicy pensions.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Bransby Horses is a great charity, do a lot of work to get horses and ponies broken so they can go out on loan and be useful. Not so small they are hand to mouth but not massive national machine where your money funds corporate offices and big staff salaries instead of helping the animals you intended.

honetpot

Visit site
How about forming you own trust, have friends or relatives administer it, with the aim of giving to the smaller charities.

A lot of villages have Town trusts, and which gives books or money to local children, some have been running for over a hundred years.
I would makes a list if the sort of charities you would like to give to and give discretion as to who the money is given to and for what, as long as it conforms with the charitable aims, animal welfare.
When my great aunt died she left the RSPCA her house, my uncle had been looking after her there and they couldn't wait to get him out, which although was in the charities best interest was rather harsh.

Damnation

Visit site
Prince Fluffy Kareem! The work they do is phenominal and some of the transformations in the horses are just amazing.

Another vote for Barnsby, after all of their hard work with Carrot and Spud they are a deserving rescue.

CMcC

Visit site
I think the Blue Cross do a scheme where if you leave a legacy they will take care of any animals you have have when you die.

JJS

Visit site
A local one to me is Hope Pastures in Leeds. Don't know if you want to leave to a small charity if you're not local but I attend their tack sales and I volunteered there on and off for a few years in the past and everyone who runs it is lovely and put their heart and soul into working with the horses and ponies. Recently they have come into a bit more money and have loads more facilities than when I first started. They have lots of volunteers who help. As they are small 95p of every £1 donated goes directly to the animals.

I really rate them as you can tell :) They're been going for years and keep getting better so I can't see them closing :)

I second this. They are a wonderful local charity, and one that I helped out at when I was a teenager. They seem to be expanding quite dramatically right now, but the unanimous verdict of the local equestrian community remains the same: that they're fantastic people doing a fantastic job.

Kaylum

Visit site
I second this. They are a wonderful local charity, and one that I helped out at when I was a teenager. They seem to be expanding quite dramatically right now, but the unanimous verdict of the local equestrian community remains the same: that they're fantastic people doing a fantastic job.

Totally agree we aren' t going anywhere soon. We also do therapy visits to care homes and schools as well as providing a place where people can come and look round every day of the year (including Christmas Day), most of our services are run by volunteers including myself. www.hopepastures.org

paddy555

Visit site
PFK is the only one I donate to. Having seen so much wastage with animal charities I feel they are able to do more with donations plus they may be able to help and educate the local population at the same time.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I am another that donates to PFK, the work they do is incredible, they are very loyal to their followers in a way that they are always up front with an explanation as to why they are doing a campaign, as to why things haven't been done eg: photos posted, or new updates. They explain what they need money for, and how money sent has been spent.

And most of all they really care for their horses and staff.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone - real food for thought. No one has mentioned World Horse Welfare I notice - I have always thought they do a pretty good job.

Adopter

Visit site
I have been impressed by the professional way Blue Cross run their rehoming centres, and you can donate directly to Rolleston or Burford not just to the whole organisation. I also support the work of World Horse Welfare, they undertake work others do not in this country and their work in the third world supports not just equines but influences the lives of people and their families who live in the poorest countries to expand knowledge and improve standards for their animals. I support The Brooke for the same reason.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I donate to these horse Charitites

Prince Fluffy Kareem
Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust
Society for the Protection of Animals Abroad

I do support WHW and they will be left money in my will along with gifting my horses to them.

Last edited: