Which are the best products for price for the following...

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
Looking for your reasonably priced but best products

1) Tack cleaner, ideally not too faffy/messy

2) Hoof care, ointments/oils/products whatever you recommend!

3) Grooming kit, what are you glad you bought?

4) Anything else?! :) Want the most well kept horse and equipment and yard I can muster!

Pink_Lady

Visit site
Not sure of the exact prices but would recommend the Kevin Bacon hoof range. Am currently using the oil myself but will change to the winter formula when this runs out.
Also a supply of baby wipes is very handy.

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
Not sure of the exact prices but would recommend the Kevin Bacon hoof range. Am currently using the oil myself but will change to the winter formula when this runs out.
Also a supply of baby wipes is very handy.

Do you find it works well? Whats the difference for the winter formula? :)

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
Tack cleaning - I use water, followed by a coating of either saddlesoap (for maintenance, either the soft type or the glycerine type - I'm not fussed) or neatsfoot oil (for dried out damaged leather) when the leather is dry from cleaning (usually by the time I've finished cleaning the last bit the first bit is dry).

Hoofs I like Effol Hoof Ointment, keeps the water out and is antibacterial so helps keep thrush at bay, gives a good shine for shows too.

Grooming kit -a body brush and dandy brush made of proper bristles not synthetic ones, rubber curry comb (cleans the brushes, the horse and good for getting moulting winter coats out without becoming clogged up itself), mane comb (for careful detangling of tails with either human conditioner after washing/Canter Coat Shine spray/baby oil, pulling and plaiting manes), I like 2 hoof picks (the ordinary bent-piece-of-metal-part-covered-in-plastic ones which do a better job of getting into crevices and the ones with a brush for using before the Effol ointment), a hoof rasp for tidying up ragged edges (unshod horses), a wound cream (I like Barriers Heel to Hoof) so you don't have to fetch the first aid kit every time you find a scrape whilst grooming, Barriers Super Plus Fly Repellent.

Couldn't live without my Fynalite Multi Mucker fork which is good for all types of bedding and my Chillington wheelbarrow which never gets a flat tyre and lasts years and years before rusting. Stubbs water buckets because they're virtually indestructable and fit inside a tyre so can't be kicked over, though a cob did destroy one eventually after about 15yrs by cracking the bottom (it was no longer round at the top and looked like an octagon for a few years first, goodness knows what he did with them).

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Tack cleaning- oil that came with the Solution Saddles
Hoof care-a good and trustworthy farrier
Grooming - A shedding blade, excellent for mud removal

windand rain

Visit site
Saddle cleaner I like glycerine soap.
Hoofs in winter nothing but if snowy good old fashioned lard
grooming kit curry comb flick brush, magic brush, sponge

Nudibranch

Visit site
Tack - Ko Cho Line
Hoofs - nothing
Grooming kit - I have so many bits and pieces gathered over the years I couldn't say...nothing has stood out that much! But plastic and rubber curry combs are cheap as chips and invaluable in winter. I don't get the magic brush thing though. They just seem to clog immediately and don't work with a curry comb. Maybe I'm missing something? Good for washing though.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Tack - Horseman's One Step for cleaning and conditioning plus Effax Lederbalsam when want extra shine and condition.
Hoofs - usually only apply after just been shod - Carr, Day and Martin Tea Tree Hoof Oil.
Grooming kit - jelly scrubber, excellent for loosening hair and massaging.
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Groomers-Jelly-Scrubber/Productinfo/GROOMJS/?gclid=CMqZsteIvdACFbMW0wodLD4PLw

PorkChop

Visit site
For tack I love Cremedemonthe's conditioner, sure he will send you the recipe :)
Hooves, nothing, get your feed right and you will have good hooves :)
Grooming, Haas brushes :)

huskydamage

Visit site
I am a right cheapskate but I like good stuff.
Tack cleaner I use any cheap liquid conditioner/bees wax. Don't like glycerin/balms as most I've used leave sticky layer.
Always used carr,day&martin hoof oil regularly and occasional cornucresine. None of the horses I've had had bad hooves.
Favourite grooming product is canter coat shine. I love it use on mane and tail too. They have brought out a rubbish (and more expensive) new bottle, so I'm always on the hunt for the old style.
Best grooming kit things are my goat hair body brush (present so no idea on price) and cheap metal sweat scaper, which is ancient and still good. I use it to remove mud and shedding hair also. It's great.

pansymouse

Visit site
Tack cleaning - Wilf Whites Saddle Soap (also conditions) and make my own conditioner
Hooves - nothing but would use Kevin Bacons if the need arose
Grooming - Magic brush and cactus cloth although Santa is bringing me Haas brushes. I love my Furninator for moulting season. I make my own mane and tail detangler which works well.

Taliesan

Visit site
1) I use neatsfoot oil if the leather is a bit dry but my usual cleaning product is J & E Sedgwick's leather care soap. I've only ever found it online but I but a big tub for about £15 to £20 (depends where has it in stock at the time I am looking) and it lasts me for ages.

2) Diet and a correct trim are the most important things here, not oils. I feed my horse Forageplus minerals and they have made a massive improvement to the quality of his hoof. Red Horse products are also fantastic if your horse ever gets thrush, etc. Make sure you aren't feeding your horse things with molasses in, sugar is not good for their feet. I use the Thunderbrooks horse feed as I like their foods and what they put in them. (Herbs and meadow grass. There is no sugar, additives, chemicals, etc.)

3) The Equigroomer my partner bought me is by far the best brush I have. It is excellent at getting off dried on mud as well as shedding hair. My horse loves being given a good scratch with it as well. :)

Auslander

Visit site
Renapur for tack (and riding boots) - I use the cleaner, and the conditioner.
Nothing for hooves - you can't improve hoof quality from the outside, so if a horses feet are bad, I feed linseed (good for feet, skin, joints)
Shedding blade for dry mud and a hosepipe for wet mud. I don't groom properly, as I like mine to have plenty of grease in their coats over the winter.

NealaTorin

Visit site
Tack. Naff soft soap and leather balsam

Feet. Diet first and foremost and a good farrier. I use sole cleanse by red horse if I have any thrush but that will usually be gone with correct diet and hoof care from farrier. In the summer if it's been really dry either a soak in water or aqueous cream (get it in the pound shop) nothing topical in winter.

Grooming. Magic brush, best thing ever I love them and for 99% of the time it's all I use bar a hoof pick.

Annagain

Visit site
It's not exactly tack cleaner but my tack's never looked or felt better since I started using Oz's (cremedemonthe on here) secret potion. When you order he also sends you instructions on how to clean (a bucket of water and fairy liquid) it before you use the conditioner. It's not expensive and it lasts forever (or maybe I don't clean my tack often enough!)

SaddleUpSin

Visit site
It's not exactly tack cleaner but my tack's never looked or felt better since I started using Oz's (cremedemonthe on here) secret potion. When you order he also sends you instructions on how to clean (a bucket of water and fairy liquid) it before you use the conditioner. It's not expensive and it lasts forever (or maybe I don't clean my tack often enough!)

Does he have a way of ordering? How can I get hold of him?:) 2 recommendations is reassuring

only_me

Visit site
1) Tack cleaner - I use stubben soap - love it. does a great job! Cheap & last ages!
2) I just use the general martin and day hoof oil
3) Recommend buying a good sturdy box for brushes, one you can stand on so handy for plaiting :) tbh the majority of my brushes are a collection of ones Ive won or been given for presents :p
4) one of those plastic cupboards with shelves. I have one to use as a first aid store, and unfortunately is fully stocked after a particularly bad start to the year lol. But handy to keep everything together for when I need it!

I have in my first aid cupboard
- top shelf has lotions/potions ranging from shampoo, fly spray to hibiscrub, iodine and peroxide and everything in-between :p
- I also have a collection of 20ml syringes which are handy for flushing wounds
- Gloves
- middle shelf has box used for tubbing, epsom salts, various sized dressings and gauze, string, gels.
- I also have a travelling kit which has basics and that stays in trailer when we are out and about.
- then gamgee/cotton wool/bandage
- bottom shelf has then a collection of various things like ice boots, a camping chair (for sitting on when hosing legs!) towels and the dedicated bucket for iodine washes lol.

otherwise I thing a good brush helps for keeping yard clean, no specific brand though lol