Which bargain site do you like to use for horse/rider equipment?

Nici

Visit site
Hello, fellow bargain hunters!

Do you have a favourite site for discounted/clearance tack and riding equipment?
I go on Ebay for things which can be bought second-hand, but I really liked the prices at Equestrian Clearance (they went into administration I think).
Are there any sites which offer such nice discounts or which you like for any other reason?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Two times tack is good :)

They are amazing! I follow them on Facebook and get a notification when they post. I got a £90 Fal cooler for £25 last week. At the end of last year I got a fancy Shires rug with liners and a HW combo for £55! The service is brilliant as well. Highly recommend them :)

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Not strictly speaking equestrian shops, but I've had some cracking bargains from Amazon (jodhpurs, breeches, ankle boots) and eBay (Soubirac high boots).

I look out for clearance items, end of line and end of season. I'm really not interested in keeping up with fashions and I usually only ride for an hour or two per week so my kit doesn't wear out quickly. At a guess, my annual spend on equestrian clothing and footwear would average less than €100.

Trying that with another supplier, though, was a nightmare. In keeping with the sites requirement to not libel (since I can't show you any proof of what I'm writing, and in any case the company could claim that the problem was "beyond its control"), I'll not name the company here.

Found some good deals and put in an order for a total of about €150 (saving around €100). The delivery company messed up (three failed attempts) and the parcel returned to the Netherlands.

After-sales service was a shambles: web forms that didn't work, email address for contact didn't work, had to dig through the website to find another likely-looking address before I finally got in a response.

Despite my requests to renew my order for the same items and fulfil from the returned items, my order was cancelled.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Apart from ones suggested in earlier posts, I also use Mountain Warehouse as excellent for ski jackets & hi-vi (cycle jackets, but great for riding :).
They often have huge discounts of up to 60%, always worth checking.
I got my current yard coat in June last year at £45 instead of £180 and its ruddy warm and waterproof too :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Tip for Mountain Whorehouse buyers. Don't ever buy at full price. Their policy is to put things on at an inflated price for a couple of weeks so they can sell it as marked down soon after. Also, their zips are rubbish and always the first thing to fail. And I've never had a pair of waterproof boots, so I gave up and bought Decathlon for half the price.

I still get most of my coats from them, though :)

You can't beat Decathlon for everyday cotton jods and long rubber riding boots at twelve quid :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
whorehouse :D :D :D

I live in MW fleeces, partly as its an easy shop for me to get to, our decathlon never seems to have my size in anything that I want and it's a bit too big for me.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
We always call it that :D

I live permanently in their marbled ski base layers and fleeces all winter. I have about twenty fleeces and two of every colour of base layer!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
You can't beat Decathlon for everyday cotton jods and long rubber riding boots at twelve quid :)

Cheap, yes. And for some stuff, reasonable value (though a lot is just cheap and shoddy). I bought a pair of those rubber boots before starting horseriding, because the soles of normal wellies are too wide to safely drive a Peugeot 406 (what I had at the time). They've held up well, but there's really not much you can do wrong when making rubber wellies; it's hardly rocket surgery.

But while the nearest Decathlon to my home stocks 350 different articles in every size from girl of 3 to girl of 12 and more shades of pink, violet, mauve, purple and sparkly than I could shake a crop at. It has almost nothing in "proper-sized adult male" size. I have to order with "pick up in store", and try the things on and return at least three quarters of the articles.

The shop in my town (there's only one left, since Sellerie Petitpas closed down its shop) has more adult-sized stuff, but still, 90% is for girls or women.

So I'm more or less restricted to on-line ordering and looking out for free returns, like Amazon.

Nici

Visit site
Not strictly speaking equestrian shops, but I've had some cracking bargains from Amazon (jodhpurs, breeches, ankle boots) and eBay (Soubirac high boots).

I look out for clearance items, end of line and end of season. I'm really not interested in keeping up with fashions and I usually only ride for an hour or two per week so my kit doesn't wear out quickly. At a guess, my annual spend on equestrian clothing and footwear would average less than €100.

Trying that with another supplier, though, was a nightmare. In keeping with the sites requirement to not libel (since I can't show you any proof of what I'm writing, and in any case the company could claim that the problem was "beyond its control"), I'll not name the company here.

Found some good deals and put in an order for a total of about €150 (saving around €100). The delivery company messed up (three failed attempts) and the parcel returned to the Netherlands.

After-sales service was a shambles: web forms that didn't work, email address for contact didn't work, had to dig through the website to find another likely-looking address before I finally got in a response.

Despite my requests to renew my order for the same items and fulfil from the returned items, my order was cancelled.

How annoying when orders get delayed and cancelled!
I do like to use Amazon and eBay as well. :)

Nici

Visit site
Tip for Mountain Whorehouse buyers. Don't ever buy at full price. Their policy is to put things on at an inflated price for a couple of weeks so they can sell it as marked down soon after. Also, their zips are rubbish and always the first thing to fail. And I've never had a pair of waterproof boots, so I gave up and bought Decathlon for half the price.

I still get most of my coats from them, though :)

Thank you the tip with MW, ycbm! Crafty, crafty :D

Cheap, yes. And for some stuff, reasonable value (though a lot is just cheap and shoddy). I bought a pair of those rubber boots before starting horseriding, because the soles of normal wellies are too wide to safely drive a Peugeot 406 (what I had at the time). They've held up well, but there's really not much you can do wrong when making rubber wellies; it's hardly rocket surgery.

But while the nearest Decathlon to my home stocks 350 different articles in every size from girl of 3 to girl of 12 and more shades of pink, violet, mauve, purple and sparkly than I could shake a crop at. It has almost nothing in "proper-sized adult male" size. I have to order with "pick up in store", and try the things on and return at least three quarters of the articles.

The shop in my town (there's only one left, since Sellerie Petitpas closed down its shop) has more adult-sized stuff, but still, 90% is for girls or women.

So I'm more or less restricted to on-line ordering and looking out for free returns, like Amazon.

I never know with Decathlon’s leather jodhpurs whether the quality is bad or it’s just me. Mine fell apart at the sole after just under a year. If a pair of jodhpurs survive a year with me, then I know that they’re super quality. That’s because I wear them everywhere, not only on the yard. :D

Nici

Visit site
We always call it that :D

I live permanently in their marbled ski base layers and fleeces all winter. I have about twenty fleeces and two of every colour of base layer!

I have found an excellent thermal undershirt at Aldi, 100% Merino Wool for £16.
It was a good day. :)

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
The John Whittaker Outlet shop (also the Brogini factory outlet shop) is now online at www.horseridersoutlet.co.uk but has just started today so not all products on there yet. They are doing daily bargains to support the website launch.

ETA: only two products on there so far! Might have to wait a bit for this to be useful.

Thanks for the 2X tack tip - looks brilliant, wish it was closer.

Last edited:

Nici

Visit site
The John Whittaker Outlet shop (also the Brogini factory outlet shop) is now online at www.horseridersoutlet.co.uk but has just started today so not all products on there yet. They are doing daily bargains to support the website launch.

ETA: only two products on there so far! Might have to wait a bit for this to be useful.

Thanks for the 2X tack tip - looks brilliant, wish it was closer.

There are now 9 products for sale on the JW outlet shop. I am keeping an eye out as well. :)

Dusty M Yeti

Visit site
Horze - great stuff. I had a beautiful Horze bridle with an ergonomic headpiece for about £40 - it has since gone up £20 but it was lovely and the horse really liked it. They have a clearance sale on currently.

Thanks for posting this! Had never bought from this company but have just received two lovely pairs of jods that were half price in the sale (hence buying two!). Really quick delivery and good communication.

Nici

Visit site
Vote for Amazon, the best shipping and delivery conditions ever. Talking about bargains and discounts, here's an extremely helpful service for Amazon users from Europe https://www.amadeal.eu/en/amazon_discount_finder_europe , allows to find the best deals and discounts taking into account all of the AMZN online stores. I always wonder how can prices for the same items can differ, everything depends on a certain seller.

Leea9, I just saw this now. Thank you!