Which bit? Know what she doesn't like - what to try?

mystiandsunny

Visit site

Been pondering this for a while now. Looking at photos of my girl jumping bitless (Dr Cook type bridle) and bitted (loose ring french snaffle), she looks slightly 'pinched' in the face and not as comfy in the bit. The bit gives me the control I need, but I have looked for ages for one she's happy in - if I list what she DOESN'T like, and how she goes in each, can anyone suggest something that would suit?

Loose ring french link - goes 'ok' but very bucky when excited and if I try to pull her head up when she bucks she gets in a state and just bucks more. Will lean on it if I let her at all.

Eggbutt french link - as above but leans a bit.

Ordinary single jointed snaffle - bucks whenever I use it more than a tiny bit.

Dutch gag with french link- very funny in the contact, reluctant to take it even on the snaffle ring.

English Gag (leather cheeks), single jointed - seems comfiest in this, if it's fairly low in the mouth and ridden on the gag rein so that the bit is slightly suspended off her tongue and we're riding on lip pressure really.

Mullen mouth straight bar - HATES this, backs off the contact like you wouldn't believe.

As you can see we've tried quite a few! In the bitless I do have control but it's harder to keep her canter slow if she's rushing in towards a jump she doesn't like. She jumps smoother, but looks more unhappy, in the loose ring french link.

Am I right in thinking it's tongue pressure she seems to dislike? Would a lozenge bit help? Someone else suggested waterford? Any of the fancy new ones worth a try? She has a wonky (just out) jaw from a kick in the head as a foal but it's not visibly wonky, just affects how her teeth wear and has led to her poll being permanently slightly out. She's a TB who has very sensitive skin anyway if that's relevant.

Cliqmo

Visit site
I would try something more comfortable and get her settled in the mouth, I imagine because of her foal injury and her teeth wear issues it will be something perhaps by Myler?

katie_and_toto

Visit site
I would try a waterford, it should help with the leaning. My pony goes well in lozenge bits so that might be worth a try too
smile.gif

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
My tb is really funny about bits. I ride her in an eggbut french link, i tried a loose ring french link and she reacted badly. She goes well in a ported myler though. worth a try. do you know anyone who can let you borrow one as they are expensive. I think the bitbank lets you hire one for a few weeks to see if you like it.

millitiger

Visit site
i would try a ported bit like a Myler and if still not happy i would try a Hippus.

my 4yro is very funny in the contact and we broke her with the Myler but now i am starting to ask for a consistent contact she wouldn't go forward into it and i have just changed to a Hippus bit which she seems very hapy in so far

suzysparkle

Visit site
If she has a 'wonky' mouth I'd definately go for a waterford. The waterford has the benefit of conforming to any mouth shape as it bends in all directions. Any other bit is rigid in one way or another therefore if her mouth is 'wonky' (sorry that sounds a bit mean to her but I don't meant it like that!!) it isn't going to sit evenly. You can get them on a hanging cheek. If it's tongue pressure she's not keen on a lozenge won't work as they use more rather than less on the tongue. To give you an example my Horse sticks his tongue out in a lozenge but not a french link. You can get waterfords in a hanging cheek as well which would be an idea. The other option would be a single jointed bit on a hanging cheek, one with curved arms or a curved joint.