which bit?

rubyroo92

Visit site
I have a sensitive showjumper she is currently ridden in a 3 ring gag bit for jumping and normal snaffle for flat work, however jumping she gets way over excited and canters off after the jumps and I find it difficult to stop her sometimes however she is pretty light mouthed.. Any idea what bit would suit her?

enchantedunicorn

Visit site
my friend has a very young horse that which is excited jumping - she rides her in a waterford baucher , it stops the horse from taking hold of the bit and running with it, as it collapses in their mouth if they try. Some horses like them and some don't - it's a case of just trying it and seeing. It's not meant to be a particularly aggressive mouthpiece however, some people may disagree from their own experiences. It also encourages the horse to carry itself instead of leaning on you reins - if your horse does that , like mine does! I am considering trying one myself :)

Shay

Visit site
We use a NS waterford elevator on an SJer with similar issues. We did start with a waterford snaffle, but found the elevator to be lighter in action - a bit more refined. You do need gentle hands for a waterford - especially if they are sensitive in the mouth. You really don't want to hang onto them with it. But if the mouthpiece suits they are very effective. Its an expensive bit though - try something like the bit bank where you can try before you buy!

philamena

Visit site
Mine is similar, lovely soft mouth but can get a bit chopsy after a fence. I have her in a Nathe straight bar butterfly flip bit - with a back strap, which makes a crucial difference for her. The nathe is soft and she doesn't fight it, she likes the flexible straight bar more than any other mouthpiece, and the backstrap kicks in before the bulk of the poll pressure, so she gets a bit of pressure in three places, none of which encourages her to go overbent, or to chuck her head up, or to yaw down on the mouthpiece. They're expensive, but have three rein options plus the option of double reins or using the little sprenger string roundings between two of the rein connections.