Which bit

Jobee

New User
Visit site
Hi all
I've had my boy for just over two months and riding him in a loose ring snaffle (with a small flat plate in the middle, sorry not sure what the official name is)
Most of the time he's fine with this as we really just hack out and do some schooling. However, I've noticed him becoming a little stronger in canter when out with others, it's like he ignores me when trying to control his speed and just thinks 'yippeeee'
Yesterday we went out with a couple of friends and unknown to me they decided to gallop off. He was sort off respectful at first and listened, as in he didn't just tank off with them but because I wouldn't let him go he bucked and bucked and bucked , nose to the floor and all four feet off the ground,, luckily I managed to stay on. (He has managed to buck me off once before in a similar situation) I really struggled to get his head up and wondered if another bit would help, my instructor said he treats this bit as a dummy! I've asked what she advises but hasn't got back to me.
I understand why he wanted to go but really want to address his bucking and feel more in control when it comes to speed, strange really because 99% of the time he's a really quiet, lazy boy.
Your thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Tnavas

Visit site
For riding out you might find a Kimblewick or a Uttoxeter (slotted Kimblewick) would be safer.
Kimblewick
Kimblewick-1.jpg

Uttoxeter
BITUxeterwithCambridgemouth.jpg

Your current bit sounds like it might be a French Link, a flat plate with rounded ends and a dip in the middle. If the plate is just straight and fitted slightly at an angle to the rest of the bit then it's a Dr Bristol.

The middle of this bit makes it a French link
FrenchLink2.jpg

Dr Bristol
DrBristol.jpg

NeilM

Visit site
I think before you go looking to solve the issue with metalwork, you need to understand what happened.

If you are riding in a group (heard) and all the other members of the herd go charging off, then your horses natural instinct is to go with them as from his point of view the others may well have spotted something dangerous and are running for safety, remember, horses are prey animals and in the face of danger they (very sensibly) run away.

So, by not allowing your horse to run with the herd, you are asking him to possibly face the danger alone or be eaten, neither of which he wants to do so naturally he shows his discontent with your request by throwing a few full on bucks.

You can work on this, and get him more used to being (temporarily) left behind, but it takes a bit of time as you need to overcome his natural instincts. I think the fact that he did not tank off with you, despite his instincts / frustration is a good sign, even if the side effect was a little extreme. He is listening to you, but he'd prefer not to, so if he can buck you off, he can then run off with the others and save himself / enjoy running fast.

My lad will stand still when the rest of the group canter off. He does not like it and even after six years together he will sometimes chuck his head between his legs and shuffle backwards, this is his way of arguing with my request and telling me that he'd much prefer to race with all the others (he does like a good race). He is ridden in an Eggbutt French link snaffle and really needs nothing else.

Speak to your instructor about doing some specific training / education to help deal with this, you may never overcome it completely, it all depends on your horses instincts and your ability to overcome them (to a degree), but you should be able to get to the point where he may get a bit grumpy about being left behind, but at least he stops trying to get you off his back.

Tnavas

Visit site
I think before you go looking to solve the issue with metalwork, you need to understand what happened

I well mannered horse should not do this! When a herd bolts because of a predator the 'smell' will be of fear, just having a strong canter/gallop should not create the fear smell.

Bits are not necessarily stronger, though some are, in general they just work in a different manner. For example we had a pony that was extremely strong/dangerous cross country in a snaffle, I changed his bit to a Cambridge mouth (unjointed) snaffle and his child owner was now in control. This is why many 'strong' ponies go well in a Kimblewick.

Jobee

New User
Visit site
Thanks both for replies..
I do understand about the herd thing, there were three of us, which is normal for him as we all tend to ride out together. Usually when we canter he dosent react and they always end up in front, my friend often comments how lovely to have a quiet boy as hers always starts jogging etc. I thought it was possibly due to them going off at speed, although they stayed in sight, but, we've been out hacking today and decided to just trot up the bridle path calmly.. again, he started to buck, arched back! in trot, a couple of times and then broke into canter, barging past my friends horse! and then went back to his normal lazy self,,
My instructor is due next week so I will obviously get help from her too, but thanks for advice.

NeilM

Visit site
If you are doing nothing different, it sounds like he's just getting a bit full of himself.

I think a good chat with your instructor will help a lot, as they will be able to give you some different things to try.

I think quite possibly, he just being a bit of a BOY! :)