Which brand of rugs for a cob?

Olderrider

Visit site
I'm having great difficulty finding rugs to fit my 14h cob. In theory she should have a 5' 9" rug, but she is very broad chested, so even some 6' rugs come up too tight across the shoulders. I bought a chest extension piece for my Horseware rugs, but even that makes them only just big enough. No doubt, like our clothing, some brands will be more suitable, so comments please before I waste any more money!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Axiom on eBay, roomy round big shoulders. A lightweight combo on a 15.1 heavyweight.
Photo012.jpg

His Amigo also fits well, as do Shires.

Last edited:

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I found amigo came up quite small on my boy but swear by Mark Todd or JHL rugs (apparently they're made in the same factory).

Jo1987

Visit site
I've found shires tempest are too tight, haven't tried the shires with gussets so they may be ok.
Knight rider standard neck rugs fit mine really nicely but the necks on the combo's are too tight.
Derby House rugs fit him very well, even the necks are big enough which surprised me!
Ruggles are also very generous, and they make neck covers in extra large which is a bonus!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If you go for one of the Shires rugs that have buckles and clips at the front, they are far more adjustable. The new Highlander and new Stormbreaker now have those straps, as does the Typhoon and Stormcheeta.

Link because it's a big photo (Shires Stormbreaker, the no neck version has the same chest straps too). http://www.onlineforequine.co.uk/media/catalog/product/9/3/9398c-black-gold.jpg

Amigo and Bucas also have 'big neck' versions that might work. But if your pony is really, really, really chunky, then 'the big horse shop' would be worth investigating.

Stormynight

Visit site
My guy is both deep in the neck and quite broad. The only tackshop-sourced rugs he'll fit into are Shires Highlander, and a Rhino original with the v-closure. The Big Horse Shop is fab too, but not particularly cheap.

TheoryX1

Visit site
I have always bought Weatherbeeta for my cob. They fit his shoulders, broad chest and big bum a treat. He is 14.3hh and fits nicely in a 6 foot. Not cheap, but they have lasted so well.

Feival

Visit site
Weatherbeeta fit my little tank well, as do shires. Hate Masta rugs these day, they use to be far better made. FalPro fit chunky types well too.

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
I've just bought swish rugs for 2 of mine. One fits in perfectly, the other is too broad for the rug, but with an expander (on tightest holes!) makes it fit. There aren't many horses as broad on the chest as she is, so I'd comfortably suggest them. Infact, when they have one in stock again, I'll be buying a 200g off them for my 3yo who's currently in a 100g. My other horse will go straight into her medium-heavyweight from the 75g she's wearing as per normal.

Bertolie

Visit site
I have Gallop rugs for my cob. I found other makes were tight across the chest and most with most combo rugs the necks were far too tight. The Gallop rugs fit him nicely with the added bonus of being really deep. They are very reasonably priced so even if they only last a couple of winters I'm not too worried (though his lightweight turnout is on its third winter). He's 14.3 but long backed so takes a 6'3 rug.

Ella19

Visit site
JHL I had one for my Connie x highland who the dentist nicknamed the little white rhino as she was built like a tank! Also have one on my Irish sports pony, it swamps her a bit but I'd rather age was warm and dry as her field is very exposed.